Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

I agree with you 100%.

There is absolutely no reason why a private developer cannot buy all of it. One broker has already put everything together in one deal. If there is any commercial viability in the site, a private owner will come forward. If there is none, then it should be condemned. Belk, Dillard's, Boxer Properties, etc. can all pay for the demolition. Not Charlotte taxpayers.

The money that will be used for the purchase of Eastland Mall, is from an earlier bond approved by voters from 2008. It's about $18 million dollars. The money was allocated for the very purpose of improving and revitalizating Eastland Mall, and/or the area around it.

One could safely assume the City will sell the assembled site for less than the acquisition cost. Otherwise, a private developer would be buying the assembly from the broker. Still, past bonds were authorized for this very purpose. So even if the City loses some money on the sale, let's hope the City recoups some money or has enough balance for demolition. In other words, Council and staff must be careful and avoid the total project cost, including demolition or other site prep, from exceeding the total amount of bonds authorized.

The money that will be used for the purchase of Eastland Mall, is from an earlier bond approved by voters from 2008. It's about $18 million dollars. The money was allocated for the very purpose of improving and revitalizating Eastland Mall, and/or the area around it.

Good to know, thanks. I would prefer that the $18 million just be used to pay principal and interest, if possible, on the existing bonds. Better that than to put money into a project that, so far, no private developer is willing to do; they all have uses for their money that will generate more positive returns than buying Eastland would.

Another update to the Eastland issue.

http://www.charlotte...r-tv-movie.html

Eastland for film studios? I find that quite interesting though, we know retail will be a long shot, at least decent retail anyways.

I'm really leary of this one. The Observer article notes that "several' studios/production houses have expressed interest, but at the same time they talk about the whole space wouldn't be used for film/tv productions.

It's reminding me of that film studio that wanted to start in huge production studio Concord in the old mill that then translated into a small independent Christian tv/direct-to-video company that had two videos and wanted more to build a very vague mixed use development that would incorporate a small production facility.

I understand the city's need to be involved due to the way their are multiple owners of the site which presents issues with aa single plan coming together - but I would only be behind the city involvement if the purpose was a single all-encompassing plan and not to allow one small developer to build a small section that has no trans formative effect for the area.

As I'm sure many of you are aware now, we bought the mall. While I have been vocal over my disapproval of this potential purchase, I'll be as equally vocal now in hoping that is a success. Now that the city owns it, I truly do hope there are legitimate studios out there looking to "change the stars" of the area as it would do nothing but good things for East Charlotte. I'm still not sold on the purchase, but that doesn't matter. The city owns it, so I'm now I'm behind it!

• Like 1

Well, I think regardless of what re-use they find, the positives to us owning it are that it is all under a single owner, we bought it at a relative discount, and we can sell or lease it at a discount if there are net community benefits to the reuse.

One good thing is that they are considering non-retail uses. Frankly, that is what makes sense considering the glut of retail space in the eastside and the demographics would prevent it from being a catalyst for renewal.

I had always hoped that eastland could get a mixture of office and smaller scale retail. The eastside doesn't really have a hub of offices that draw and retain middle class residents.

• 1 month later...

[Done]

I can't find the article now, but I recently read an article about a city converting a dead mall into a school. I happened to think that may be a great idea for Eastland. I'm not sure if it is too large for a single HS, so maybe a HS-MS campus combination depending on the size needs. The department stores would be administration and offices and classrooms, the typical stores would be right for classrooms, the food court would be for cafeteria/food court, and the 2 story skating rink could probably be enclosed for a gymnasium, and I'm pretty sure there was a cinema that could be somehow worked into a small or larger auditorium/theater.

Obvious the parking requirements of schools are fairly large so that would be compatible with the reuse of a dead mall, but probably half of the asphalt could be torn up for grass fields and landscaping.

It isn't as exciting from an urban revitalization point of view, but with new baby boom of the millennial generation and the high cost of building a new school, it seems that dead malls are quite well suited to turned into schools.

[Done]

I can't find the article now, but I recently read an article about a city converting a dead mall into a school. I happened to think that may be a great idea for Eastland. I'm not sure if it is too large for a single HS, so maybe a HS-MS campus combination depending on the size needs. The department stores would be administration and offices and classrooms, the typical stores would be right for classrooms, the food court would be for cafeteria/food court, and the 2 story skating rink could probably be enclosed for a gymnasium, and I'm pretty sure there was a cinema that could be somehow worked into a small or larger auditorium/theater.

Obvious the parking requirements of schools are fairly large so that would be compatible with the reuse of a dead mall, but probably half of the asphalt could be torn up for grass fields and landscaping.

It isn't as exciting from an urban revitalization point of view, but with new baby boom of the millennial generation and the high cost of building a new school, it seems that dead malls are quite well suited to turned into schools.

How about another public university? The Triangle and the Triad have about four each, how about if Charlotte got another? Maybe they could make it a medical and science college. It could give Charlotte another boost in education.

How about another public university? The Triangle and the Triad have about four each, how about if Charlotte got another? Maybe they could make it a medical and science college. It could give Charlotte another boost in education.

Good luck getting funding for another university.

They should leave it as it is and turn it into a museum about poor suburban planning.

The mall nearest my house (Hickort Hollow Mall - Nashville) has closed or is about closed. At one point this mall had Macy's, Dillards, JC Penney and Sears. Macy's was the last hold out and closed this year. The city has purchased the JC Penney building and is tearing part of it down for a new library and turning part of it into a park. The local community college is taking the Dillards store and creating a satellite campus. I think this is a great idea to make use of an abandoned mall. Hopefully one of the hospitals in the area would realize how underserved the area is and take one for a small medical center. The small stores inside could serve both the general public and provide stores to serve the various other tenants. There is a Chevy Dealership nearby whose owner has taken a great interest in the surrounding property and has purchased one of the nearby strip malls that had a Best Buy. He is trying to create a multi cultural center as this area of the city is probably the most ethnically mixed. One of the closed multi screened movie theaters has been turned into a Muslim community center. It will take a while, but I have high hopes for the area.

I like this idea. Not sure how much luck there would be in getting a "public" university. I would think that the UNC system would view UNC-Charlotte as meeting the needs of this region. But, a private college/university that wanted to start a Charlotte campus might work. Even if it isn't a good idea for Eastland, there are several dead shopping centers in Charlotte that could potentially be marketed for this purpose. I really do think it's a great idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, its like somebody was reading this thread. Apparently one investor wants to not only make the mall a movie studio, but also as an education center. They're already working with CMS, CPCC, and Queens University. They're planning to unveil more of their plan on the 20th:

http://www.foxcharlotte.com/news/top-stories/Potential-Investors--169789006.html

Tonight: Details on Eastland movie studio plans

A would-be movie studio builder in the Eastland area plans to outline his plans Thursday night at a meeting of east Charlotte leaders.

Bert Hesse, of Central Avenue Studios, says he will speak before the East Charlotte Community Partners, which holds its monthly meeting at 6:30 p.m. The meeting will be at the Hickory Grove Recreation Center, 6709 Pence Road

......In July, Hesse told reporters he is working to roundup more than $50 million for his project and said he has received interest from others in the movie industry.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/09/20/3543266/eastland-movie-studio-plans-to.html

Lets Cross our fingers for something realistic, feasible, etc.

• 2 months later...

Here's what Birmingham is doing for its equivalent of Eastland.  Charlotte should consider the same.  No more wasting tax dollars, hoping that something good will come of Eastland-it won't!

In Eastland's case, there are really no surrounding businessses, so concerns about effects on them wouldn't apply.

Century Plaza possible location for regional jail T
By Alan Collins - bio {sodEmoji.|} email

16439134_BG1.jpg

The owner of Century Plaza Mall believe it would be a good location for a regional jail. But, businesses in the area disagree.

"Speaking as both a resident and a business person, I can't imagine anything worse for the area," Jim Lewis, owner of BMW Motorcycle of Birmingham, said.

Lewis has been open since July next door to the abandoned Century Plaza site.

"This is a horrific type of option in terms of what it would do in providing a negative anchor in this area," Lewis said.

Homewood Mayor Scott McBrayer says the Howard Hughes Corporation of Dallas, Texas, which owns the property, has sent a letter to the Regional Jail Authority suggesting a study to transform the mall into a correctional facility. Birmingham, Homewood, Vestavia Hills and Mountain Brook make up the authority.

• Like 1

I like the idea, but I also think the city (population) needs to be pragmatic about what the film industry at Eastland would actually be/look like.

Two quotes in the Observer article I think paint the most realistic picture:

Film Studio Group added that while Eastland isn’t “optimal” for a film studio, part of the building could be converted into offices, wardrobe and makeup rooms, screening rooms and a studio store.

The group said “significant government support will be required to develop a studio.”

Cates, the ReelWorks executive, said the city’s plan to have studios be a hub for other development could be difficult. The studios would need security and could resemble a gated community, he said.

“It’s not going to be an intimate part of the rest of the development,” Cates said.

In essence, if we view developing the Eastland mall area into basically a film/entertainment production industrial park, which will aid Charlotte in diversifying its economy, attracting new focus for the area, and finding a interesting experiment and possible business solution for an area that needs direction - then great!  I'm all for it and on board.   If any think this will revitalize the neighborhood per se or "solve" the overall issues with the East side from crime to perceptions - I say this is not the way to go.

Edited by Urbanity

Here's what Birmingham is doing for its equivalent of Eastland.  Charlotte should consider the same.  No more wasting tax dollars, hoping that something good will come of Eastland-it won't!

In Eastland's case, there are really no surrounding businessses, so concerns about effects on them wouldn't apply.

Century Plaza possible location for regional jail T
By Alan Collins - bio {sodEmoji.|} email

16439134_BG1.jpg

The owner of Century Plaza Mall believe it would be a good location for a regional jail. But, businesses in the area disagree.

"Speaking as both a resident and a business person, I can't imagine anything worse for the area," Jim Lewis, owner of BMW Motorcycle of Birmingham, said.

Lewis has been open since July next door to the abandoned Century Plaza site.

"This is a horrific type of option in terms of what it would do in providing a negative anchor in this area," Lewis said.

Homewood Mayor Scott McBrayer says the Howard Hughes Corporation of Dallas, Texas, which owns the property, has sent a letter to the Regional Jail Authority suggesting a study to transform the mall into a correctional facility. Birmingham, Homewood, Vestavia Hills and Mountain Brook make up the authority.

No way Jose. I don't want a jail at the terminus of a mass transit line!!! 

No way Jose. I don't want a jail at the terminus of a mass transit line!!! 

I think its a silly idea that doesn't need to be considered, but not a dangerous one really. In Raleigh the central prison is less than a mile from downtown, surrounded by a few very nice neighborhoods, a signature park, and some cheaper apartments housing mostly ncsu students. 

What about a zoo? If the city is fronting up some money, why not try to get a zoo? That would be a good generator for streetcar traffic and investment in The East...

That would also help uptown tourism. Stay in uptown, catch the tram to the zoo, watch the Panthers/Knights/Checkers/bobcats game, movies and bowling at the epicenter, NC MusIc Factory, Museums, NASCAR HOF, Discovery Place, Rays Splash Planet, Romare Bearden, take streetcar to Zoo...

Edited by AirNostrumMAD