Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

• 5 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

There are a couple of rezoning petitions for new apartments about two miles away from Eastland. 

The first is at the corner of East W.T. Harris, Albemarle Road, and Old Lawyers. This is on the lot that previously had Food Lion/Foodtown, and across the street from the Walmart grocery store. The site will have 180 units:

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2017/191-206/2017-192 site plan.pdf

The second site is further north along Harris, on the former Charlotte Aircraft Corp parcels. The site will have 288 units:

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2017/191-206/2017-201 site plan.pdf

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

• Legacy Family Group, led by Kimberly Edmonds of Charlotte, whose Eastland project emphasizes workforce and creative-class magnets. Among those elements: a 50,000-square-foot YMCA, an arts theater, a skating facility and a variety of residential projects. It would be built in three phases, opening in 2021, 2023 and 2025.

• A partnership between residential developer Jim Gross and Crosland Southeast with help from MPV Properties. Crosland’s notable area projects include Birkdale Village in Huntersville, Blakeney and Stonecrest. Crosland executives stressed their recent experience redeveloping so-called dead mall sites such as Eastland, citing an example at One Bellevue Place in Nashville, Tenn., where an 87-acre former mall site is being converted by Crosland into a residential area.

• The Greater Charlotte Multiplex 4 Families, backed by Donna Lee Reed, a 23-year Eastland-area resident, business coach and pastor. Reed wants to create a 10- to 15-acre project catering to the arts, after-school care and entertainment ventures (arcades, movies and so on) that will support the educational aspects.

• Odell and The Fallon Co., among others, who promise a phased, commercially oriented combination of uses centered on three main aspects: sports, health and wellness, and a retail-driven community marketplace emphasizing local and unique restaurants and shops. Executives promised $150 million to $250 million worth of annual economic impact.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

• Legacy Family Group, led by Kimberly Edmonds of Charlotte, whose Eastland project emphasizes workforce and creative-class magnets. Among those elements: a 50,000-square-foot YMCA, an arts theater, a skating facility and a variety of residential projects. It would be built in three phases, opening in 2021, 2023 and 2025.

• A partnership between residential developer Jim Gross and Crosland Southeast with help from MPV Properties. Crosland’s notable area projects include Birkdale Village in Huntersville, Blakeney and Stonecrest. Crosland executives stressed their recent experience redeveloping so-called dead mall sites such as Eastland, citing an example at One Bellevue Place in Nashville, Tenn., where an 87-acre former mall site is being converted by Crosland into a residential area.

• The Greater Charlotte Multiplex 4 Families, backed by Donna Lee Reed, a 23-year Eastland-area resident, business coach and pastor. Reed wants to create a 10- to 15-acre project catering to the arts, after-school care and entertainment ventures (arcades, movies and so on) that will support the educational aspects.

• Odell and The Fallon Co., among others, who promise a phased, commercially oriented combination of uses centered on three main aspects: sports, health and wellness, and a retail-driven community marketplace emphasizing local and unique restaurants and shops. Executives promised $150 million to $250 million worth of annual economic impact.

1.  More details needed but sounds intriguing.

2.  Probably the most bankable proposal but One Bellevue Place underwhelms me.

3.  Nope.

4.  Also intriguing but not enough details.

One and four sound potentially great.  Two sounds okay and I might prefer this if I lived in the area.  Three doesn't sound great.

^^ I have said all along this site needs lots of residential with less emphasis on retail and entertainment.  There is a severe housing shortage in the lower price ranges in this city.  Build some affordable housing (with land contributions by the city) mixed in with market rate for sale and rental units. Townhomes, 3-4 story apartments buildings maybe some neighborhood retail grocery store anchor maybe a movie theatre etc but the emphasis should be on residential and lots of it with commercial at the edges at the property along the major roads (Central, Sharon Amity and Albemarle)  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/26/2018 at 9:35 PM, KJHburg said:

^^ I have said all along this site needs lots of residential with less emphasis on retail and entertainment.  There is a severe housing shortage in the lower price ranges in this city.  Build some affordable housing (with land contributions by the city) mixed in with market rate for sale and rental units. Townhomes, 3-4 story apartments buildings maybe some neighborhood retail grocery store anchor maybe a movie theatre etc but the emphasis should be on residential and lots of it with commercial at the edges at the property along the major roads (Central, Sharon Amity and Albemarle)  

It really is the only thing that seems realistic here and Charlotte will benefit from more housing inside the loop

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ah the Eastland saga continues partners are changing, joining forces, new ideas etc.    I have never seen so many twists and turns.  New plans maybe revealed in late July or August meeting. 

Highlights as I see them from this subscriber article from the Business Journal

""Two of the four proposals for revamping the city’s abandoned Eastland Mall site have taken on a different look as one lead developer has parted ways with Jim Gross Co. while aligning with former rival bidders,""

""According to a letter sent this month by Crosland Southeast to Charlotte assistant city manager Tracy Dodson, the company is no longer working with Gross. In addition, Crosland Southeast has decided to merge its proposal with Eastland Community Development, led by David LeFevre, and architecture firm Odell.  Under the combined bid, Crosland Southeast, LeFevre and Odell will work together; Fallon Co. and Gross aren’t part of the project team.""

""Gross envisions hundreds and hundreds of brownstones and walk-up houses on the former mall property. If the homes are priced between $250,000 and $400,000 and make people want to own in an area that’s a 10-minute drive from uptown, then commercial investment will follow, the developer believes.""      MY opinion of this is that housing is the key and any proposal should be heavy on the residential of all price points to make any adjoining commercial work. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/06/28/eastland-mall-redevelopment-could-face-another.html

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2018 at 9:42 AM, Third Strike said:

400k brownstones? That seems pretty bold. I still want some retail/mixed-use on the site though. And they should preserve some open space for community events like the open-air market that currently takes place every weekend there. 

Is it possible they are talking about the style rather than the material?  

4 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

Is it possible they are talking about the style rather than the material?  

I’m surprised at the price point. The average selling point for homes in this area is around 100k. I’m not upset, just intrigued in how it’ll all plan out. I guess some developers see high potential in this parcel since it’s less than ten minutes away from Uptown, and having strong transit connections to Uptown, University City, and Southpark has its advantages.

I believe a mix of price ranges would be best for any developer on the Eastland site. Look at Bryant Park where the new townhomes and SF homes are twice the value of the nearby homes but now they are rising too.   Dittos for Brightwalk off N Statesville.   But I still any plan to redevelop should be heavy on the housing and lighter on the commercial and in all price points. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

City staff is recommending the Crosland Southeast / Eastland Community Development proposal for the Eastland site:

http://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/charlotte/news/2018/08/28/city-staff-recommends-master-developer-for-eastland-mall-site

The proposal is anchored by an FC Barcelona soccer academy along with housing, hotel, office space, and a multicultural market.

I think having a major football club as an anchor on this site is a smart idea. It would be a major attraction for this area and could serve as a stepping stone to MLS down the road. 

8F5E4CE1-F930-4089-BF6A-0966A149E51D.jpeg

3D3BB3A1-37CD-4236-980F-976C3D40055E.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1