Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

1 minute ago, Third Strike said:

City staff is recommending the Crosland Southeast / Eastland Community Development proposal for the Eastland site:

http://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/charlotte/news/2018/08/28/city-staff-recommends-master-developer-for-eastland-mall-site

The proposal is anchored by an FC Barcelona soccer academy along with housing, hotel, office space, and a multicultural market.

I think having a major football club as an anchor on this site is a smart idea. It would be a major attraction for this area and could serve as a stepping stone to MLS down the road. 

8F5E4CE1-F930-4089-BF6A-0966A149E51D.jpeg

3D3BB3A1-37CD-4236-980F-976C3D40055E.jpeg

If what they build is close to the renderings and if they don't ask for a bunch of public money to get it done, I'll be thrilled and surprised.  I hope this works out, could be great for that area.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 8/31/2018 at 7:30 AM, Third Strike said:

City staff is recommending the Crosland Southeast / Eastland Community Development proposal for the Eastland site:

http://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/charlotte/news/2018/08/28/city-staff-recommends-master-developer-for-eastland-mall-site

The proposal is anchored by an FC Barcelona soccer academy along with housing, hotel, office space, and a multicultural market.

I think having a major football club as an anchor on this site is a smart idea. It would be a major attraction for this area and could serve as a stepping stone to MLS down the road. 

8F5E4CE1-F930-4089-BF6A-0966A149E51D.jpeg

3D3BB3A1-37CD-4236-980F-976C3D40055E.jpeg

I thought the old Eastland Mall acreage was going to be turned into a transit center for buses and the end of the Gold Line?

6 hours ago, tozmervo said:

The Eastland Transit Center already exists on Central Ave. It's a small amenities building with several bus bays

I see what you're talking about.  It's in the picture below, and where the yellow arrow is pointing on the satellite image below that.  But I'm not seeing it represented in the images above for the soccer academy.

Eastland Community Transit Center.jpg

Eastland Community Transit Center 2.jpg

Edited by JacksonH

52 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

I see what you're talking about.  It's in the picture on the left, and where the yellow arrow is pointing on the satellite image on the left.  But I'm not seeing it represented in the images above for the soccer academy.

I suspect that's more of a "we'll deal with that later" oversight. There are probably better ways to incorporate the transit center & streetcar into the development than keeping the existing setup, but I don't see CATS giving it up. (City of Charlotte currently owns it as a separate parcel)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm never out in this area, but happened to drive by the other day.   The renderings above are beautiful and make me feel like this area could be one spark away from becoming a nice hub of development, especially if the city ever gets the gold line out there.  

Is anyone on here close to this development?  Has any progress been made towards development been made in the past year?  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

From a subscriber article yesterday

""After spending six months and more than $100,000 gauging interest and possible collaborations at the former Eastland Mall site, the city’s economic development division hopes to extend its contract with local developer Crosland Southeast beyond the Aug. 31 expiration date.  Charlotte city government bought the 80-acre site in 2012 for $13.2 million. At the time, the former shopping mall — closed in 2010 — remained intact. In 2013, the city demolished the property.   The main components of the Crosland-led project are townhouses in the range of low-$200,000s and single-family homes selling for $400,000; recreation areas with trails and public gathering spots for various community events; shops and other commercial tenants; and restaurants tying in with the international diversity and flavor of east-side neighborhoods.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/07/31/why-city-will-likely-extend-contract-with-eastland.html

My thoughts are this: with this being city owned land any proposal should have substantial affordable housing component to it in addition to market rate housing and retail and some office space on the perimeter of the property.   Have townhomes and homes market rate for sure but build a neighborhood here as this city needs more housing and lets face it this will not be a big employment site.  

• Like 2

I agree that affordable housing should be a major component of the site's development. I think the city, though, needs to think BIGGER about this, in terms of scope. IMHO this area should be seen as, and developed as, a future neighborhood locus for the east side of town.

If you look at the map of Charlotte, Eastland is roughly the same distance from downtown from South Park--and it's part of a NE trajectory along Sharon Amity from South Park--to Cotswold across Independence and then on to the W.T. Harris/Sharon Amity/Milton intersection. Major cities (and Charlotte is obviously on the cusp of becoming one) have multiple locuses of activity, and this is a *rare* opportunity to lay the groundwork for one. 

If the gold line is successful, this could be the east side version of--but on a larger scale--than what looks like is going to eventually happen at Scaleybark (I refuse to use LoSo). But since there's literally nothing there right now, the new Eastland development won't be constrained by other buildings and pre-existing conditions, and I think planners shouldn't make the mistake of limiting its scope and scale.

I would start with a mix of lowrise apartments with ground floor retail and townhouses, and reserve space for future midrise development, but really plan for a dynamic mix of uses and activity. 

Basically, don't do it all at once.  

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It would be great optics and community engagement if the new development could incorporate the existing grassroots engagement on the property: namely facilities for an outdoor flea market and skatepark. 

Might be utopian wishing, but seems do-able and worth considering. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...