Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, sakami said:

I suspect the financial hit the hospitality tax is taking due to covid was a big influence on this decision. Who knows how long that will take to recover.....

It is also possible that the MLS team could use space vacated by the Panthers on the west side of the stadium along with the current bubble and practice fields, at least in the short term. With the financial commitment from the city for the MLS team I would be surprised if it is actually headquartered in Rock Hill (though some business will inevitably take place there due to overlap in management).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

True but this sucks not having either teams HQ in Charlotte/NC

Agree.  Seems like Eastland gets the shaft again!  Maybe they can rework the proposal again?  I wonder if people are really going to be thrilled with an Elite Academy and and Atrium Health facility that both only employ 20-30/each.  I feel like we should be able to do better.

• Like 1

I would think the 11 practice fields open to the public & the ability to host tournaments etc provides more activity than a private practice facility.  Charlotte FC could put it's facility on the current practice fields at BOA with a stadium that could double as a outdoor concert facility 

1 hour ago, js4life said:

I would think the 11 practice fields open to the public & the ability to host tournaments etc provides more activity than a private practice facility.  Charlotte FC could put it's facility on the current practice fields at BOA with a stadium that could double as a outdoor concert facility 

True.  I guess I was just hopeful for something bigger in that spot.   Should be a good get for Rock Hill though assuming the HQ/Training Facility goes there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RANYC said:

By the way, what's the expected headcount for the HQ of a newly-launching MLS franchise?  We talking dozens of jobs, hundreds of jobs, thousands?  Best thing they can do with Eastland site, is re-brand it, clean it up, re-grade it, get it ready for a brand new use with a totally new market perception.  That's what's happening and it's fine. 

Dozens of full-time staff if you're including all the coaches. I'd think probably between 100-200 if you're including all the part-time workers?

• Like 2

“While the Panthers negotiations are no longer part of Eastland, Charlotte Economic Development Director Tracy Dodson announced substantial progress over the Eastland site. That includes no longer having the Charlotte FC headquarters at Eastland in an effort to provide more public space at the property. Instead of the team headquarters, Dodson said that Tepper Sports would locate the youth academy at the property as well as practice fields that could host the MLS team and international squads coming to play in Charlotte.”

Source: WBTV

This seems to indicate that the MLS team does intend to use the Eastland site to some degree even if it is not the official HQ. Putting offices for the team at the stadium, Rock Hill, or elsewhere doesn’t mean that they won’t put the Eastland facility to use.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nathan2 said:

Any reason for why they need structured parking and surface parking? Seems like they should just stick to parking structures. Currently a quarter or more of the whole site is taken up by parking. 

I'm not clear why City of Charlotte allows any parking structures to be built any more? Why not require all buried or surface parking? (yes, I *know* $$$)

We as a city need to reconcile the cost of our car culture.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

This is the proposal for Eastland but why is the city having to contribute so much I thought they sold the land for cheap.  and why is the city subsidizing any market rate housing in this city? I would rather the city just get a enough to cover their costs of the land and demo of the mall.   From Twitter  Ely Portillo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3