Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

History of Eastland Mall:

http://landmarkscommission.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Eastland-Mall-SR.pdf

It was outside the city limits at the time and a wooded area with no prior development. I recall driving past it prior to the development and it was all trees, as dense as a forest, deep and dark. It was strange to have this large wooded area and with development on Albemarle Road and Central Avenue. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This is the proposal for Eastland but why is the city having to contribute so much I thought they sold the land for cheap.  and why is the city subsidizing any market rate housing in this city? I would rather the city just get a enough to cover their costs of the land and demo of the mall.   From Twitter  Ely Portillo

At first glance, looks lame

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So the city is blocking off the community created skate park. The skate park will demolished to make way for the Eastland redevelopment. It’s very disappointing that the city didn’t integrate this park into the development (especially one anchored by a sports facility) or try to relocate it elsewhere.

Update: same thing is happening to the open air market.  Pretty sad that such community initiatives are being dismantled without a proper replacement or including it in the Eastland redevelopment plan.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/development/article258383023.html

Edited by Third Strike
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JBS said:

The market is a different situation. People there knew all along that it was temporary and they were paying way below market rate to sell there. They were given a lot of notice and stayed even after the lease ended. The city is now being blamed for being too nice/permissive in the past when they could have simply not allowed the market in the first place.

Regarding the skate park, they truly did blow it my not integrating a new park into the Crossland development. The current park is pretty rough looking but if you ever want to feel good about society I recommend a visit before they shut it down. It was built with donated materials and labor and the crowd is diverse racially, by gender and age. People get along great (I've gone just to watch and enjoy the vibe). Charlotte needs a skate park in that area (FWIW I'm not a skater).

Wholeheartedly agree on the skate park.  Who are the squares in City Government making these project design & planning decisions, by the way (sorry, so judgmental)?  A skate park like the one at Eastland would be great in a place like Camp North End.  Skateboarding is a type of street performance art and urban sport that could prove to be a draw and major enhancement to an alternative ecosystem like Camp North End.  Link below is to Bordeaux, France's Darwin development, which I consider the French equivalent of Camp North End.  They use features like skateboard parks as a draw for people watching and a source of enlivenment for those strolling through the development.

https://www.bordeaux-tourism.co.uk/sites-monuments/darwin-alternative-and-inspiring-urban-ecosystem

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, RANYC said:

A skate park like the one at Eastland would be great in a place like Camp North End. 

Great idea! I suspect the developer would consider it if Charlotte assumed responsibility for associated injuries. Would totally fit the vibe and they have the space for it obviously.  I think the big Plaza Midwood redevelopment project would have been a good option also. That would have been a nice anti-corporate peace offering to the Midwoodians who objected so strenuously to that project. 

• Like 3

On 2/16/2022 at 11:18 AM, JBS said:

The market is a different situation. People there knew all along that it was temporary and they were paying way below market rate to sell there. They were given a lot of notice and stayed even after the lease ended. The city is now being blamed for being too nice/permissive in the past when they could have simply not allowed the market in the first place.

Regarding the skate park, they truly did blow it by not integrating a new park into the Crossland development. The current park is pretty rough looking but if you ever want to feel good about society I recommend a visit before they shut it down. It was built with donated materials and labor and the crowd is diverse racially, by gender and age. People get along great (I've gone just to watch and enjoy the vibe). Charlotte needs a skate park in that area (FWIW I'm not a skater).

The community blew it when the developer was asking for the rezoning request in 2020. The proper lobbying of Matt Newton would have saved this element since Tepper dropped the  Charlotte FC HQs component from the development.

On 2/16/2022 at 1:32 PM, RANYC said:

Wholeheartedly agree on the skate park.  Who are the squares in City Government making these project design & planning decisions, by the way (sorry, so judgmental)?  A skate park like the one at Eastland would be great in a place like Camp North End.  Skateboarding is a type of street performance art and urban sport that could prove to be a draw and major enhancement to an alternative ecosystem like Camp North End.  Link below is to Bordeaux, France's Darwin development, which I consider the French equivalent of Camp North End.  They use features like skateboard parks as a draw for people watching and a source of enlivenment for those strolling through the development.

https://www.bordeaux-tourism.co.uk/sites-monuments/darwin-alternative-and-inspiring-urban-ecosystem

Lobby the Charlotte City Council along with Mecklenburg County Commission to add a skate park component to the area near the Camp NorthEnd

On 2/16/2022 at 2:09 PM, KJHburg said:

Houston has some of the best skateparks anywhere.  The one near downtown in Buffalo Bayou Park is massive.    And they get corporate sponsors for them too. 

Here is that one   with great views of the downtown skyline  it is really a must see on a visit to H-Town. 

https://houstonparksboard.org/about/lee-and-joe-jamail-skatepark

this is a suburban one on the north side   https://northhoustonsportcomplex.com/skatepark/

Part of this Eastland site should have a massive skatepark.  

lee-and-joe-jamail-skatepark-houston-texas-photo-lance-childers – Southside  Skate Park

Tell the COC City Council & Mecklenburg County Commission this is an example of what we need in Charlotte. 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tepper is really eFFing things up - totally exhausted goodwill and community excitement.  I don’t support any other Public investment - let him/his companies work with other developers on things as it seems he’s too content to walk away from things….

Both the NFL/MLS HQ in RockHill and this Youth League & Fields in Eastland would have ROCKED and kept mass public opinion / benefit of the doubt on his side.  Just don’t understand these missteps other than community goodwill and excitement don’t translate into $$ (which is a huge mistake imho)

• Like 2

I’m very intrigued where this goes and what Tepper is doing. It’s easy to blame the owner of a company despite the fact that a company is a huge collection of people with slightly different but aligned goals most of the time. So we may think that Tepper made this decision but no one actually knows that… He hasn’t really commented personally that I’ve seen. There are most likely people advising him in the company or doing decisions that he may or may not fully agree with but persuaded enough he could allow it to pass. Tepper surely doesn’t control every decision and every action of his company no one person can reasonably have that much control over a company. It’s easy to blame one person. That is not to say that he is free of guilt because these are no lightly taken decisions. These are huge projects and Tepper surely had some say in what it is TSE final and big decisions were. Who exactly though is making these decision…is it really Tepper or is this someone else or a group in which Tepper approves these decisions based on what he was presented or remains out of those decision and gives staff that autonomy as long as it isn’t something he himself is absolutely against. I may be wrong and Tepper had a decent hand in these decisions but I question how much did he actually have. Food for thought is what I’m throwing out there.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...