Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

The difference with the racquet club  what is proposed in the Eastland site and the Raleigh site called Swing Racquet and Paddle is the Raleigh site is with limited public support but mainly private investors.  That is the opposite of what is proposed here with majority public funding and limited private investment.

https://swingnc.com/

https://raltoday.6amcity.com/swing-racquet-paddle-raleigh-nc

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kayman said:

I'm going to have to vehemently disagree with this assessment.

I'm very familiar with the leadership and many of the very vocal members of the Charlotte East association meetings. They stressed do NOT want a Target on the site, and have also stressed they want some recreational, especially aquatic facilities since the nearest ones are in the Center City areas.  This is a black and brown majority area and lacks access to public aquatic facilities.  As I have already said, most black and brown citizens lack the essential life skill of knowing how to swim and this would assist greater access to this ability to learn to swim.  They have also said they are already demanding more affordable housing and green space, but they demand more access to public accessible aquatic centers without having to go "downtown" (their words not mine). 

We don't publicly express how ridiculous how we give away public subsidies to private sector industries that don't need them. I wouldn't advocate such for something that would be helping a predominately black and brown area such East Charlotte.  Having access to more recreational facilities aside from only green space should be allowed in this rapidly growing part of the City of Charlotte. 

Also I have been recently made aware by many active community members that are black and brown who are familiar with this site and board, but don't post often here at all. Their main responses were said topics like this shows that many more than not regular posters are racially tonedeaf to the needs of the growing black and brown areas of Charlotte.  That's an indictment on us regular posters because we should be more open to other perspectives and social equitable-minded aside from (white or white-adjacent) perspectives on things like this.  

This is so important to say & glad you posted this. Wish I could like it twice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Then build a community center with an indoor pool/ outdoor pool and park.  I still think affordable housing is needed here this is city owned land.  However if some private development is interested why not use it to pay for it?  

This facility off Eastway is great.  

https://www.mecknc.gov/ParkandRec/EastwayRec/Pages/Home.aspx

You need to really think about what you say and how you say things about black and brown people on this topic.  Your posts on topic and similar ones about black & brown parts are exemplifying exact what those said members of the Charlotte East association with racial tonedeafness and political paternalism on here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8

58 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I said build a community center like that one on Eastway on the Eastland site.  

Have no idea what you are talking about.  I suggested we build a community center with large indoor outdoor pool.   I mentioned affordable housing because there is such a need in this city and this is city owned property. I was not making any inferences about anything.   I guess it is up to the city council to make the decision so will wait. 

Of course you don't. You can afford to stay ignorant of your language towards their community needs of majority non-white communities & neighborhood residents. Your posts have displayed that their advocacy doesn’t matter & a sense of dismissal. That's a privilege you can afford to have, but those residents can't. 🙄

Edited by kayman
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I said build a community center like that one on Eastway on the Eastland site.  

Gotcha. I read it as they can just use Eastway. I was like, dang. Let them eat cake, I guess. 

I will say I do agree some of the comments are a little tone deaf regarding race here and the comments above. Though I personally don’t feel like I have the mental capacity at the moment to explain because it’s a deep conversation, it’s historical, it’s systemic, it’s microagressions, it’s unconscious  biases. It’s a lot but. I just say, keep your ears open and listen. When someone even shows a strong reaction, there’s typically a reason why. :) 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

Totally unnecessary. Maybe you should consider how you interact with other posters from time-to-time. You seem to only view topics from one point of view.

It was totally necessary.  It seems like you do that embolden statement. 

Edited by kayman
  • Confused 3

11 hours ago, allthingsplanes said:

Seems like a misunderstanding of what was being posted.  KJ wasn't saying that the Eastway facility was close enough to use and therefore one of the Eastland site would be duplicative.  If there's something else that I and others missed in the post(s) then please make sure that's clear.

no actually I was saying why not build a indoor outdoor swim facility like the new Eastway along with some affordable housing on the remaining land.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

no actually I was saying why not build a indoor outdoor swim facility like the new Eastway along with some affordable housing on the remaining land.  

It seems the Eastway facility itself cost $40mm, so it is in the ballpark with these two proposals. Conceptually, I agree that it would be useful to put another dot on the MeckPass where Eastland is.  So I think your idea is good, but is almost interchangeable with an East Meck aquatic center too me.

I don't think the tennis idea makes a lot of sense.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...