222 Glenwood

ericurbanite

At 222 glenwood, developers filed plans with the city of raleigh. They are going to demolish the old warrent dist. building and if with approval for a bigger project you could see a 4 story parking deck with 8 stories of condos above the parking deck.

find out more from the n and o website.

By the way change the subforums back to the old way, you have to fish through so many posts to find the ones that interest you.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 222 glenwood, developers filed plans with the city of raleigh.  They are going to demolish the old warrent dist. building and if with approval for a bigger project you could see a 4 story parking deck with 8 stories of condos above the parking deck.

find out more from the n and o website.

By the way change the subforums back to the old way, you have to fish through so many posts to find the ones that interest you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More development at Glenwood South. This is a Good Thing, since the Warren Distribution building is kind of a "hole" in Glenwood's continuity. Since the property slopes sharply downward away from the road, the building will probably look like an 8 or 9 story building from Glenwood. That will fit in pretty well with some of the other buildings in the area (for example, the Quorum will be 15.) I really, really hope that they do a good job at hiding the parking deck from Glenwood, though. If all the parking ends up gong below street level then great, but 1 floor of retail, 3 floors of parking, and then 8 floors of condos doesn't make for a very friendly facade.

So Raleigh's downtown is growing. Great! We have Fayetteville St. and Glenwood South. But hopefully some developers will step in and fill the gaps to make it more continuous... there's still way too many parking lots down there!

• 4 weeks later...

the design of the building is very similar to 510...although the tower portion is pushed back against the tracks and there is about a two story retail section that actually fronts Glenwood. It should have about 15-20k sq ft of retail, which is great. it will connect to 518 restaurant too, which is great for that block.

• 2 months later...

i was just browsing through the planning site on raleighnc.gov and looked through site plan submittals. This just confirms the building of 222 glenwood.

heres the link

222 Glenwood Site Plan

Also I read in the N and O today that they might scale the plans down a little bit from a dozen or so stories to around 7 or so. I would love to see the height of 12 stories, with the quorum being 15 right near there. It would start to add some density to glenwood.

Anyhow from the site plans heres some key notes:

Its planned on 1.51 acres and have mixed used residential with ground floor retail. Also it will be 357,700 square feet. That is a good sized building. So hopefully they will not scale this down.

• 2 months later...

its probably still in the hands of the raleigh planning department waiting for approval.

heres the submitted site plan to the city of raleigh I think I have posted this before too but oh well.Site Plan

But thats a really good size development (357,700 square feet) and I am pretty excited about it. I wonder if there is any renderings of this. It looks like Kimley Horn and associates are the ones who designed it... looks like im going to be doing some google searches.

When I was out for a walk with some forumers after the meeting yesterday, we saw a poster with a new rendering of 222 Glenwood (the Warren Distributing site). Romec, I believe, took a picture of it with his digital camera, and I hope he'll post it here pretty soon :)

It's been scaled back from 12 to 8 stories, but it's a much more urban design - all 8 floors are built up to the front of the lot on Glenwood, rather than putting the tower in the back. This will go a long way towards turning Glenwood into a real urban valley.

I spent a few minutes in Photoshop cleaning Romec's picture up ;)

222glen_cleaned.jpg

Not that it really matters. And it certainly wasn't Romec's fault that the image was like that - the window was smudged and it was pitch black outside.

I spent a few minutes in Photoshop cleaning Romec's picture up ;)

222glen_cleaned.jpg

Not that it really matters. And it certainly wasn't Romec's fault that the image was like that - the window was smudged and it was pitch black outside.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YEAH! Raleigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know urban-loving NC folks....we have a lot to be happy about in North Carolina these days. We have (at least) eight (big) cities that are building great urban cores: Wilmington, Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Greensboro, Winston, Charlotte, and Asheville. (Compare the growth of our cities to Georgia's, for example...outside Atlanta, Georgia's other "cities" are losing population...)

Coupled with the great growth and improvements of our cities, I hope that, as a state, we will spend as much effort protecting our "significant" natural regions (coastal, piedmont, and mountains) to compliment our rapidly emerging urban cores; that historic, but smaller cities, like Oxford, New Bern, Hendersonville, High Point, Salisbury, Concord, etc., will retain their unique character and prosper.

Others will not admit it, but North Carolina - with the great expansion and maturation of its cities and the timeless value of its natural recreational resources - is rapidly becoming recognized as one of this country's most exciting places.

222 is going to really add to the neighborhood--mine! (he he) I live about 2 blocks away from there, so it should really help bring another lively development to the area and add some more life to the street with the retail component. Looks like a larger version of 510 Glenwood--which is a good thing IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

This is really great! The building looks very cool, and I think it's so nice to see more street-friendly development going up in that area; I think it's a real acknowledgement of what people want, as evidenced by how amazingly popular that whole part of town has become. The retail at street level should keep that momentum going.

It will be interesting to see, too, the impact the TTA stations have when they're up and running in a couple of years. I think that will go a long way toward connecting the pockets of redevelopment into a pedestrian-oriented, 24-7 city.

• 1 month later...

I caught it halfway through and they showed about 6 graphics (anyone know where to find these?). They did show this one:

222glen_cleaned.jpg

We're talking about the site just north of 518 West:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.783546,-78.646982&t=k&hl=en

The site will feature about 90 residential units and 20,000 sq ft of "retail". The bird's eye view shows a long rectangular building (actually L-shaped) extending from Lane St. westward to the corner, then along Glenwood to the edge of 518 West. This is as shown in the above photo. 518 is renting their current parking lot, so it will be lost to the project. The Lane St. projection shows a parking deck that is as tall as the main building, back along and parallel to the RR tracks. This leaves a trianglular void between the deck and building which will be a courtyard. There appears to be a street level pedestrian pass-thru access to the courtyard from the Glenwood sidewalk. The parking deck will be accessed from both Lane and from the small remaining amount of 518 surface parking lot (between 518's building and the RR tracks).

The planning commission's big bugaboo seems to be with the treatment of the parking deck's Jones St. facade. The existing plan is for it to be a solid, gray, untreated concrete wall. Suggestions included painting this facade all the way to brick which would imply building elements such as windows, doors, etc.

The other issue is that Mickey Ewell, one of the 518 owners, says that the current plan does not work with 518's requirements. However he seemed optimistic. He wasn't categorically against the project. The developers sound very eager to work with Ewell. Maybe they will offer X parking places so that 518 meets its requirements. Another option sounded like they could change the parking deck to having a Glenwood Ave second access instead of Jones St. This would be worse for pedestrian traffic, however.

A local CAC (neighborhood) rep stated that he is in favor of the project, but that he warns that stucco/brick combos need to look better than the Paramount and Oberlin Ct., two projects that are not visually impressing people with whom he's spoken.

It looks like this thing's a "go" with a few little tweaks.

There is more exciting Planning Commission TV showing on Saturday at 1:00pm. I'm not sure that it's a replay of this, though. According to the PC's schedule, there is a full meeting of the PC tomorrow (Wed), but the City Council's schedule shows no meeting tomorrow.

Archived