222 Glenwood

ericurbanite

Since I am not from the area I wouldn't know but would this project be located in the DT area?

Yes; it's located in an area on the fringe of downtown (outside of what I'd call downtown proper) called Glenwood South. A former industrial and commercial area that has become the city's hip, happ'nin', hot spot. Or one of them anyway. Lots of low-rise but relatively dense (for NC) residential going up in the area, which is great.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other issue is that Mickey Ewell, one of the 518 owners, says that the current plan does not work with 518's requirements. However he seemed optimistic. He wasn't categorically against the project. The developers sound very eager to work with Ewell. Maybe they will offer X parking places so that 518 meets its requirements. Another option sounded like they could change the parking deck to having a Glenwood Ave second access instead of Jones St. This would be worse for pedestrian traffic, however.
I assume the requirements you're talking about are parking requirements? The real answer to this problem is for Raleigh to do what a number of other cities have done (Asheville comes to mind) and do away with parking requirements for CBD developments. Right now they allow developers 1/3 fewer off-street parking spaces downtown (or something like that) but that really amounts to very little. Parking should be market-driven everywhere - but having minimum offstreet parking requirements in the CBD is just inexcusable.

I'd really love to see a developer put in a robotic parking garage as part of a development somewhere in Raleigh. These things are literally a dime a dozen in places like Japan, but there's only one modern, fully automated facility in the US. When you're doing underground parking, it can potentially save money over ramp-style decks because they're a lot more space-efficient and require less excavation. It is particularly appropriate for residential parking, but would not work well for something like a convention center where hundreds of cars would potentially want to leave all at once.

I assume the requirements you're talking about are parking requirements? The real answer to this problem is for Raleigh to do what a number of other cities have done (Asheville comes to mind) and do away with parking requirements for CBD developments. Right now they allow developers 1/3 fewer off-street parking spaces downtown (or something like that) but that really amounts to very little. Parking should be market-driven everywhere - but having minimum offstreet parking requirements in the CBD is just inexcusable.

I'd really love to see a developer put in a robotic parking garage as part of a development somewhere in Raleigh. These things are literally a dime a dozen in places like Japan, but there's only one modern, fully automated facility in the US. When you're doing underground parking, it can potentially save money over ramp-style decks because they're a lot more space-efficient and require less excavation. It is particularly appropriate for residential parking, but would not work well for something like a convention center where hundreds of cars would potentially want to leave all at once.

I don't think Glenwood South has offstreet parking requirements...Hibernian, Rockford, etc. have none to speak of. More likely, the 'requirements' are his personal requirements, as the owner understands that most of his business still has to drive downtown to eat.

Echoing what dmcall mentioned in her post, I also thought the Paramount was kind of ugly. The website really talks up the architect, and other projects he has designed farther north, but I am wholly unimpressed but kept quiet because some many people love it. Park Deveruax would be my favorite building if it had ground level retail.

The city council is voting on this today:

(5) SP-11-05 - 222 Glenwood

This request is to approve a 200,504 square foot mixed use building with 19,371 square feet of retail, 114 residential units (a density of 75 unites per acre is proposed), and 368 parking spaces in a six story parking structure on a 1.51 acre site zoned Industrial-2 with the Downtown Residential Housing Overlay District and the Glenwood South Pedestrian Business Overlay District. The existing structures on the site will be demolished.

CR-10885 from the Planning Commission recommends approval with conditions.

Did anybody watch the city council proceedings yesterday? I would have tuned in, but being in Morrisville now I only get to see meetings of Cary town council.

I'm curious if there was any discusion about when the site would be cleared and construction would begin.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The developers of 222 will be building a multi-level deck sandwiched between the railroad tracks and 222/518. That's a pretty good place for a parking deck. It affords some separation between the condos and trains that come rumbling by every hour or two. I assume the owners of 518 will lease spaces in the deck when it's complete.

BTW, I am only seeing 7 stories in that rendering. I wonder if it's out of date. That looks to be a nice development, and will hopefully add momentum to the northern end of Glenwood South.

I think one of the stories was below Glenwood grade but at grade of the current 518 parking lot.

• 1 month later...

Has anything started with 222 yet?

I attended a presentation at the Urban Design Center tonight where Dan Douglas spoke about the current and upcoming redevelopment of the downtown area. He stated that they should begin demolition "very soon" on the old Warren Distributing building. He was very excited about the prospect of this project connecting Glenwood South with the Power Station District and Hillsborough St.

I wanted to go to that Urban Design Center presentation last night, but needed to something else with the girlfriend...

I went to one of the first iterations of that presentation almost a year ago at Kings... way before RBC, 222, Tucker Street/Raleigh Office Supply, block north of Progress II, the northeast Martin/Wilmington corner, etc.

It would be nice to see what is on the drawing board now... It has been fun to see things like Fayetville Street, the convention center, etc. go from idea to construction.

When the construction fences go up at 222 and the Quorum opens up, hopefully the downtown naysayers will finally shut up!

Archived