222 Glenwood

ericurbanite

I wanted to go to that Urban Design Center presentation last night, but needed to something else with the girlfriend...

I went to one of the first iterations of that presentation almost a year ago at Kings... way before RBC, 222, Tucker Street/Raleigh Office Supply, block north of Progress II, the northeast Martin/Wilmington corner, etc.

It would be nice to see what is on the drawing board now... It has been fun to see things like Fayetville Street, the convention center, etc. go from idea to construction.

When the construction fences go up at 222 and the Quorum opens up, hopefully the downtown naysayers will finally shut up!

I am currently putting together a synopsis of last nights presentation. I'll post it later. You should have been there. It was very impressive to see all the work that is going on and is being planned for the next few years.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am currently putting together a synopsis of last nights presentation. I'll post it later. You should have been there. It was very impressive to see all the work that is going on and is being planned for the next few years.

Can't wait to hear. Thanks ahead of time...

• 2 weeks later...

If the service takes off, free valet service might be the future for higher end eateries in Glenwood South. It would be a "nice touch" that sets it apart from Southend or Vin or whatever... They know that at best, 25% of customers will arrive by foot or mass transportation, so arrangements like this are just the cost of doing business in the area. I'm a lot happier to see this than the Greenshield's method of packing up and moving to the burbs (and go kart track).

The cheesecake factory at Crabtree already does this, and they are not hurting for parking, as long as you know how to navigate a parking deck.

I was downtown Raleigh this weekend and drove through Glenwood South and was amazed at the amount of people I saw mid-afternoon. Armadillo, Hibernian, Mojo's, Helios, Mellow Mushroom etc. were all packed. The question remains of increasing transportation options to this area as there are very few parking areas and the area seems continues to grow aggressively.

I was downtown Raleigh this weekend and drove through Glenwood South and was amazed at the amount of people I saw mid-afternoon. Armadillo, Hibernian, Mojo's, Helios, Mellow Mushroom etc. were all packed. The question remains of increasing transportation options to this area as there are very few parking areas and the area seems continues to grow aggressively.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. There is parking in the 510 Glenwood Building Lot, and parking in the Progress Energy Deck, near Southend. I alway park at the PE deck and have never had to drive too far up to find parking. More parking will be needed as the area grows, but a short walk is all thats needed to find a spot.

I was just down there on my way to and from the gym... construction fencing is going up all around the Warren Distr. Co building--along Glenwood, Lane, RR tracks, and the 518 parking lot. Demo of the existing structure can't be far behind!

Anyone ever seen the final renderings of 222? All I can remember seeing is the perspective sketch shown here:

cropDSCF2692m.jpg

I'm really excited about this project, it has the ability to make Glenwood even better by extending it closer to the core of downtown, and linking it with the Warehouse district and the up-and-coming Boylan Heights area. Not to mention, it's replacing a pretty dull building.

I'm really excited about this project, it has the ability to make Glenwood even better by extending it closer to the core of downtown, and linking it with the Warehouse district and the up-and-coming Boylan Heights area. Not to mention, it's replacing a pretty dull building.

Filling in a big gap for sure. Just wondering about the "up and coming" comment on Boylan Heights...seems to me the real estate prices went through the roof there before a single downtown condo was ever built.

I was just down there on my way to and from the gym... construction fencing is going up all around the Warren Distr. Co building--along Glenwood, Lane, RR tracks, and the 518 parking lot. Demo of the existing structure can't be far behind!

Anyone ever seen the final renderings of 222? All I can remember seeing is the perspective sketch shown here:

cropDSCF2692m.jpg

Are they going to build all 7 stories, or did this get scaled back any?

Are they going to build all 7 stories, or did this get scaled back any?
I believe 222 is officially listed as an 8-story project, since The lot slopes downwards as you move away from Glenwood. It was approved at 8 stories and, to the best of my knowledge, that is what will actually be constructed

it really resembles the Dawson.

I like them, both the Dawson, and 222. Seems like a 'classic' design. Nothing to fancy, yet not cheap.

My only hope is that this building doesn't overwelm the rest of the area.... hopefully some of the neighbor building get replaced by similar structures.

Yeah... renderings of the dawson had some darker (redder) colors as well, almost as if the building was going to be partially brick. But when the building acutally went up, they went for all-EFIS and all-beige.

222 is gonna have EFIS, no question, but the renderings make it seem like it has a lot of brick on the lower floors. Hopefully the plans haven't changed.

As long as it's not all brick. We have way to much of that already i.e. Quorum Center. It's 2006 ya know. Other materials exist. The Dawson is nice I think as ins the under construction palladium Plaza on blount street.

I think this entire district will look really awesome in the next few years. I wouldn't mind if all of the projects in the GlenSo area looked somewhat similar. It would really give the area that added identity.

I wonder if that will really be brick on the lower portion of the facades as indicated in the rendering. It is almost a necessity given the durability issues associated with EIFS. EIFS is so easily damaged when it is used in areas that people on the street can reach.

Of course there is this little quote below the rendering...."Artist rendering. Subject to change."

I agree that the lowest price point seems extremely low. I bet "mid $100s" means $169,900 and the condos are 700 sq ft, plus you have to pay extra for a parking spot.

By the way, I was walking by there tonight and noticed all the fencing up around the building. It is pushed all the way out to the edge of the street, which closes off the sidewalk in front of the building. Watch for potential accidents in this area, especially on weekends when tons of slightly enebriated pedestrians are trying to make their way through here with all the car traffic.

Even at ~$169k for a 700 sq. ft condo, there is nothing even close to this price point in the DT area. These should sell out fast... of course there are probably only a few in the 'mid $100s', but at least they're trying.

Also, EIFS can not be used at street level. It is not durable enough to with stand people touching it.

Archived