222 Glenwood

ericurbanite

I should *hope* that they'll ditch the on-street parking there, block it off, and make it a temporary sidewalk. In some cities, they'll sometimes even sacrifice a lane of traffic to maintain a continuous sidewalk during construction, although I wonder whether somehing like that could ever happen anywhere in a place like Raleigh. I get the feeling that sacrificing vehicular capacity in the name of pedestrian safety is absolutely unthinkable around here.

But even in Raleigh, I should hope that the safety of pedestrians will take precedence over a few stupid on-street parking spaces. I really hope the city doesn't just say "There's a sidewalk on the other side of the street; people should use that." (that's what they did during construction of the Dawson, and what they are currently doing at Palladium and Quorum.) Glenwood should be a special case, since drunk people don't think like that - they will just stumble out into the road and get squished. It's just a couple stupid parking spaces, anyway.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

510 is reasonably far from the railroad grade crossings in the area (the rail line is all elevated at that point.) The trains do rumble by, but they don't blow their horns there.

222 is much closer to the crossings at Jones, West, and Harrington. I've often thought that it would be nice to separate the road and rails at Martin, West and Harrington. Given the topography and built environment, it should be possible. I really don't think anything can be done about Jones, though.

The only way to silence the trains at Jones would be to either close the street (not good!) or apply for a a no-horn quiet zone downtown. Improvements at the gates and clearing brush for visibility is usually enough, but a quiet zone has to be at least a certain minimum size - and the prospects for improvement at the Cabarrus and Martin crossings are not good.

I don't know where the "grassy area" in the drawing across the street from 222 is supposed to be. The houses across Glenwood from 222 are not at street level. The website is neat, although is just a place holder/way to elicit pre-sales. If parking will be handled via the Jones street entrance, the deck could be a buffer between the building and the tracks, like 510. The upper floors may have some line of sight, but they won't be "right on" the tracks, unless they build condos over the deck? I should have taken some "before" pictures, but haven't been over there in a while. It would be interesting to find out who they are trying to attract with the retail spaces. Trammel Crow could just fax the NYT article to anyone considering a lease!

As far as the train tracks, there is a split just north of the Jones Street rail crossing, so that may be why horns are necessary? You can see down the tracks that run north toward North and on to Peace easily, but the curve that crosses West street north of 42nd st. oyster bar would be "blind" from Jones. The proposed state government TTA stop is right there, so maybe it can be a quiet area? Going south, there is no at-grade crossing till Hargett. Martin doesn't cross the tracks until you get into the Dillion warehouses.

If they think foot traffic will fit on the west side of Glenwood, they're crazy It is narrow, maybe enough space for one person going each direction. There is on-street parking in front of 222, so they're not losing a lane of traffic. Since the parking meters are gone, they might as well give that street space to pedestrians. I don't know if Palladium ever had sidewalks. It was fenced off for Progress II construction, and was fenced in private lots before that.

I just walked down there and had lunch at April+George. The street parking is still available in front of the building. It doesn't appear that the city will be giving that up as a temporary sidewalk. Also, there was an environmental cleanup contractor there (probably asbestos), we should start to see more activity in the coming weeks.

the deck could be a buffer between the building and the tracks
It will be. The deck will be behind the condos and abut the RR tracks.

I don't know if Palladium ever had sidewalks.

Yeah, I used to walk down there during lunch along Blount St. Blount may carry more traffic than that portion of Glenwood, so I think it makes more sense to allow for a pedestrian walkway along Glenwood, and get rid of the parking because as you have said, the sidewalk on the west side is only 5 feet--not enough for the mobs of people that use it on a Fri or Sat night (like St Patty's Day). I wonder if 518 would object to this as they may have wanted that parking along Glenwood for their customers who miss the parking deck at Powerhouse Square.

i signed up for info on 222 glenwoods website, and a woman called me today letting me know they have a sales office above sushi blues. i am going to stop in on saturday and see what i can find out... even at 169,000 they are kind of out of my price range, but it is still worth checking out, imo.

i signed up for info on 222 glenwoods website, and a woman called me today letting me know they have a sales office above sushi blues. i am going to stop in on saturday and see what i can find out... even at 169,000 they are kind of out of my price range, but it is still worth checking out, imo.

Same here, a lady called me today and said they will be updating me on some more information.

At $169,000, they are in my price range... that's probably for a studio on the 3rd floor or something though. I guess that would mean what, around $225,000 for a lower-floor 1 bedroom? Which is still not too bad. Maybe if I ditched my car and stopped eating out. Problem is, though, I'm not sure whether I'll still be in the area even by the time the place is done.

Tempting, though.

At $169,000, they are in my price range... that's probably for a studio on the 3rd floor or something though. I guess that would mean what, around $225,000 for a lower-floor 1 bedroom? Which is still not too bad. Maybe if I ditched my car and stopped eating out. Problem is, though, I'm not sure whether I'll still be in the area even by the time the place is done.

Tempting, though.

orulz, If you leave Raleigh :( ...who will moderate? You've been great for the Triangle Forum.

As for 222 Glenwood, I'm wondering if this project could be built even larger since there is such a huge demand for condos in this price range?

orulz, If you leave Raleigh :( ...who will moderate? You've been great for the Triangle Forum.
Thanks... I don't have plans to leave Raleigh, but I only just graduated from College so there's no telling where my career might take me. Even if that happened, I'm sure things will work out somehow :) I guess my point was, that I'm not at a point where I'm ready to transition from renting to owning.

As for 222 Glenwood, I'm wondering if this project could be built even larger since there is such a huge demand for condos in this price range?
I think a big problem is that beyond a certain point, the price of construction per square foot goes up rather than down. Land out there isn't expensive enough so that increased density will bring the overall cost down. There may be demand for higher-end, taller buildings, but I think the folks at 222 would have a hard time building taller while staying in the same ballpark pricewise.

If there are any units left by the time construction is finished, I definitely expect them to be at least 50% more expensive than they are now during pre-sales. If you're interested, now is the time to buy.

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped by the sales office this weekend and it seemed as though the response to this thing has been enourmous. The sales lady said they had 80 some reservations put down and there are a little over 100 units. No doubt this project has taken off because of its prime location and slick marketing concepts (private pre-construction offerings to reel you in) but man this building is ugly. Also, it appears that all of the more affordable units look onto the parking lot that the sales lady said was going to have a beautiful wall.... and beyond that ...railroad. When I asked about what sort of thought was put into energy conservation she thought I was talking about noise reduction....???? Another sprawlesque project for our beautiful downtown.

I stopped by the sales office this weekend and it seemed as though the response to this thing has been enourmous. The sales lady said they had 80 some reservations put down and there are a little over 100 units. No doubt this project has taken off because of its prime location and slick marketing concepts (private pre-construction offerings to reel you in) but man this building is ugly. Also, it appears that all of the more affordable units look onto the parking lot that the sales lady said was going to have a beautiful wall.... and beyond that ...railroad. When I asked about what sort of thought was put into energy conservation she thought I was talking about noise reduction....???? Another sprawlesque project for our beautiful downtown.

I like the project. It fits in with glenwood south, and as well adds even more street level retail/activity. Im not so sure its sprawlesque???? Plus its alot better than looking at the warren distributing building.. now thats ugly.

Archived