222 Glenwood

ericurbanite

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I don't think any of them need to be razed necessarily. Redevelopment is the fastest option on most of those buildings...long ongoing construction tends to hurt neighbors somewhat. (Ask any business near Fayetteville Street!)

I think that old garage near Helios is being transformed into a bar??

There's more options on north Boylan actually...can't wait for them to replace that old Raleigh Office Supply!

And the old Tao Auto Site on Hillsborough. Get rid of it already!

And like I mentioned in another thread...that old beige warehouse at the Morgan split with Hillsborough can go bye-bye!

^ I don't think any of them need to be razed necessarily. Redevelopment is the fastest option on most of those buildings...long ongoing construction tends to hurt neighbors somewhat. (Ask any business near Fayetteville Street!)

There's more options on north Boylan actually...can't wait for them to replace that old Raleigh Office Supply!

And like I mentioned in another thread...that old beige warehouse at the Morgan split with Hillsborough can go bye-bye!

Much agreed on the Tao Auto site across from Char Grill. Are there any new development plans there? That lot has such a great view of downtown!

Although it is somewhat controversial, I think razing Glenwood Towers could bring new energy to Glenwood South.

Isn't West Street, especially down the hill from 42nd Street primed for redevelopment?

Isn't West Street, especially down the hill from 42nd Street primed for redevelopment?
Absolutely. The first place to get built up looks like it will be the area around North Street. There is West at North on the north side of North street, and a project originally envisioned as a low-rise by Greg Hatem for the south side.

The stuff by Helios is a good bet.....I always liked Tao Auto, those shiny 1950's gas stations look kinda cool to me, but I understand how good the lot is for other development. I had envisioned the tan warehouse at the Morgan split carved up into loft space with an entrance or two cut out onto the sidewalk there...its a huge lot with lots of potential, so not really sure what the best outcome would be....

Tao Auto/American Cancer Society Bldg was being looked at by several developers, notably the Boulevard Co of Charlotte. They have since pulled out I think, although the paper reported it was the east side of the block they were interested in near Hillsborough St/Glenwood. That entire block, the Tao, ACS, the audio store, the chiropractor, etc., could be an incredible large, dense development. The problem would be assembling all the parcels... old article here, newer one here, latest one here, and topic here.

The old service garage next to Helios is owned by Bates Battaglia, former Canes player. I think he wanted to build "Cielo," an Italian restaurant there. There used to be signs for the place, but they've been gone for quite a while now. I hope someone develops that spot soon--it's a great place on the street.

222 says it's the fastest selling condo in Glenwood South on their sign (something like that). They have the units up now on the web, here.

The old service garage next to Helios is owned by Bates Battaglia, former Canes player. I think he wanted to build "Cielo," an Italian restaurant there. There used to be signs for the place, but they've been gone for quite a while now. I hope someone develops that spot soon--it's a great place on the street.

The garage is owned by Hibernia Entertainment (of the Hibernian pub). The small electrical supply building next door is owned by My Three B's (of Lucky B's/Bates Bataglia).

Attempts to develop these properties have not yet proven fruitful.

The garage is owned by Hibernia Entertainment (of the Hibernian pub). The small electrical supply building next door is owned by My Three B's (of Lucky B's/Bates Bataglia).

Attempts to develop these properties have not yet proven fruitful.

I have an inside souce that tells me that (as I know this stuff happens everyday), there has been some talk among owners of properties along Glenwood south about doing some "horse-trading" with properties (trade you this for that) so people with smaller building parcels trying to upgrade and enlarge to build larger condo buildings........ and I have heard those buildings are "in-play." (Not saying a condo building would go there but could be traded for another building on another location near/on Glenwood South)

But again, I know this stuff is thrown around all the time and could be dead as of this post.

• 1 month later...

I have no info on this, but I'm convinced that there must have been some remediation (contaminated soils, etc) required on the site. The old warehouse was razed by Mar/April, and there has been very little discernable progress since then other than some excavation. Bloomsbury was started much later (July?) and they already have columns being poured.

I am not sure this has been commented on but I have stood in front of this building at 10:00pm when the train was going through and let me tell, IT IS LOUD !!!!

Now I love a train in the neighborhood and I lived a block from the train tracks for 8 years and had no issue with it. In fact, when I moved, I missed it. But we are talking right on the tracks here, especially on the back side of the building. And that is every night and probably during the night.

I have talk to someone in the building industry in the Triangle and they talked about the same issue with Bloomsbury.

Now again, I love the train and have lived almost on the tracks, but if you are on Gleenwood south one night and a train goes buy, listen how loud it is and look how close 222 is to the tracks.

Maybe they have plans to limit this.

There will be a parking garage between 222 and the tracks which will hopefully serve to mask the rumble of trains rolling by. This won't entirely solve the problem of trains (particularly northbound trains) blowing their horns as they cross Jones Street. Not sure how or if that will be mitigated.

A friend of mine lives in Carrboro next to the railroad tracks, back door approximately 80 feet from the rails. Now a train only goes by about two to four times a day, and when it does it's very slow, but it's still loud while the engine goes by (you can hardly hear yourself think). Once the engine has passed, it's not loud at all, though you can still feel the ground shake.

When I lived a block from the tracks, one night I heard a loud horn noise. I walked out to my porch and my neighbor was standing on his porch. It was about 15 degrees outside. We walked a block over to the track and a train was stopped on the tracks with its horn frozen while blowing. So it was just one continuous horn blow. It was so loud, standing beside my neighbor in the street, we could not hear each other talk.

The bad thing was the train stopped right behind a elderly woman's house and she was out in the street in her nightgown as she was asleep when the horn got stick probably 15 yards from her bedroom window. It would have probably busted her ear drums by staying in the house. I was only 20 yards from the front door of her house and that is as close as I could get. My ears hurt all night long.

• 2 weeks later...

This project is still inching along at a snail's pace. I have seen some concrete being poured into forms along the RR line and near 518 west, where i presume the parking deck will wrap around on the "basement" level. I wouldn't expect to see a superstructure rising out of the ground until after Jan-Feb, I'd guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped into the sales office to ask about the schedule and check out the model. They said 86 of 117 units are sold, with--not surprisingly--most being the smaller and more affordable units facing the back courtyard area (not the street). The cheapest unit is ~$320k for ~860 sf 1 BR/BA unit (facing Glenwood on an upper floor I think).

The salesperson said they encountered some underground surprises during excavation (utilities, tunnels in expected spots) but that they are still on schedule for a spring 2008 opening.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived