Green in Downtown

linclink

Hi guys!

I was just wondering what you guys think about the lack of green in downtown Nashville. I don't know, maybe it's a Florida thing.... but having grown up here, even though I loved Nashville, I felt like downtown was sort of uninviting. Especially the street in front of the Frist.... it's really wide at first and then it's just buildings on either side with very little green....(and the way over there from the west) Does anyone else feel that way, or is it just me? I'd love to see some nice trees, (maybe apple or peach, so they get the pretty colors and flowers) planted along a median in the middle of the road, or on the side-walks. It at least needs some medians with grass, and maybe some flowers, I think.

So am I "too Fort Lauderdale" (as the writer of The Scene wrote about the Veridian), or do you guys agree that Nashville needs some green in Downtown?

Also, why is the river kept so low, no one can see it... not even when your driving on the new bridge!!!!!!! Downtown Nashville doesn't seem to use it's natural resources to it's advantage!! What makes south florida beautiful is all the canals, and trees and the buildings within this setting.... I know that Nashville is completely different and thats good, but it seems like the natural resources have been forgotten. Look at other cities like Chicago for example, they use the lake and the chicago river to their advantage, it makes the city cool (especially on ST. Patty day when they turn the chicago river green... too cool!)

Finally, there needs to be a park in downtown.... there are sooo many old buildings with plywood on the windows, and all those parking garages.... why not have a park in downtown?

I am sorry if it seems like I am being negative about Nashvillle. The reality is I LOVE Nashville, and will be calling it home soon. It just seems to me like it has soooo much potential, and now with all the new buildings and projects, I just hope they realize that the city has been neglected for quite some time... and if they take the time to play up all its stregnths it can be an AMAZING place!!!!

So... what do you think?

Paula

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Paula, I totally agree with you about the lack of greenery in the CBD. That was (and has been) one of my main gripes concerning the aesthetics of downtown. I do think something may be in the works, though. I'm not too sure since I don't keep up with things as much since I moved to Birmingham.

As for Birmingham, we have a program like you've mentioned called Birmingham Green, in which the city has partnered with Southern Living and has landscaped several boulevards downtown. Currently, the program is expanding to include even more major thoroughfares -- and IMO, it's one of our downtown's best features.

Is something like this what you'd like to see in Nashville?

14westin3.jpg

14westin1.jpg

97p8310008.jpg

97p9200205.jpg

97p9200069.jpg

Well, me too :)

As for the river, well, at least Nashville has one :lol:. But seriously -- the city has realized that it has been neglected and it's addressed in the plan for the next twenty years. A riverfront park is also in the works, I believe. Anyone else have more information?

Hi DallasTexan!!

WOW !!! I had no idea Birmingham was soo nice! Completely different from what I expected... much bigger city too...

Yes that is definetly what I had in mind! Loved the brick paved sidewalk and the benches!! That's so nice and inviting. It's really a shame that something like that has not been done in Downtown Nashville. The people there are sooo very friendly and welcoming... the city really does not do them justice in that regard. Hopefully as all these new buildings come up, they won't forget the green spaces... I know that they just passed a new law in Fort Lauderdale that new buildings must dedicate something like 15% of their street level area to green space. It would be nice to see something like that incorporated in the new buildings coming up in Nashville.

As for the river... yes... I shouldn't complain... I guess I'm just used to seeing water everywhere.... hehehehehehe But it sure would be nice to actually be able to see the cumberland, instead of just know that its there... hehehehehehe....

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that Nashville will call the folk at Southern Living (or maybe even Met Home for a more urban edge) to do their landscaping!!

Just a question... I know the budget is very tight in Nashville, is there any money allocated for this kind of thing?? Does anyone know?

Also, in the new Sounds project, will a part have to be dedicated to green spaces? Just wondering.....

With the Veridian, did they have to add any landscaping around the building?

Is it completed yet? Anyone have pictures?

Thanks,

Paula

Well, Paula, I totally agree with you about the lack of greenery in the CBD. That was (and has been) one of my main gripes concerning the aesthetics of downtown. I do think something may be in the works, though. I'm not too sure since I don't keep up with things as much since I moved to Birmingham.

As for Birmingham, we have a program like you've mentioned called Birmingham Green, in which the city has partnered with Southern Living and has landscaped several boulevards downtown. Currently, the program is expanding to include even more major thoroughfares -- and IMO, it's one of our downtown's best features.

Is something like this what you'd like to see in Nashville?

14westin3.jpg

14westin1.jpg

97p8310008.jpg

97p9200205.jpg

97p9200069.jpg

Well, me too :)

As for the river, well, at least Nashville has one :lol:. But seriously -- the city has realized that it has been neglected and it's addressed in the plan for the next twenty years. A riverfront park is also in the works, I believe. Anyone else have more information?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, you've just hit on Birmingham's biggest problem... lack of a good PR machine :lol: It is quite beautiful here and I do love it. Thank you for the compliments.

Anyways, to try and answer your questions:

1. I know the budget is very tight in Nashville, is there any money allocated for this kind of thing?? Does anyone know?

I'm not sure - perhaps Dave knows.

2. Also, in the new Sounds project, will a part have to be dedicated to green spaces? Just wondering.....

Yes. The riverfront area will be home to a nice park and walkway.

3. With the Veridian, did they have to add any landscaping around the building? Is it completed yet? Anyone have pictures?

To my knowledge and after looking at renderings, there will not be any large scale landscaping in front of or around Virdian. As for the project itself, I don't think it's really even poking too far out of the ground yet. I'll be able to take some pictures of it -- I'm going back to Nashville Thursday for the day because my Mom is having some medical testing done.

Hope that answers all of your questions ^_^

You're right that Nashville hasn't done too much with landscaping but the new Public Square at the court house and War Memorial plaza are planned to be quite Green. I have the feeling that Riverfront Park was always meant for more of a public event space than a real park...though i do think 1st avenue is nice enough with the trees and brick sidewalks. Unfortunately it is probably too late to ever have a boulevard like that the one in Birmingham in the central downtown area.

It does look like landscaping is a very prominent element in the plans for the Pedestrian Bridge area near the Symphony Hall and Sounds Stadium, however so things are looking up all around. The city has also poured millions into Greenways around the city which do connect downtown via Shelby Bottoms...not to mention the Bicentennial Mall and capitol area which have some nice landscaping. BTW, I think the Bicentennial Mall is one of the best small urban parks in the Nation.

photo_big_0341.jpg

photo_big_0340.jpg

photo_big_0344.jpg

photo_big_0276.jpg

Rocket,

Those are great pictures... Those areas are REALLY beautiful.... but you know what the thing is? I have been to Nashville 3 times, driven all over downtown, and had NEVER seen the Bicentenial mall! That park is soooo hidden.... and I think most people when they come into Nashville, do not come in from that side.... I always came in through that street that goes in front of the frist (Broadway, I think....) That side REALLY needs landscaping! As do all the streets in downtown, where you are between buildings, etc....

With all the big music execs, singers and songwriters, maybe they could start a campaign or something.... something like Make Beautiful Music (City)... where each big music hotshot could adopt a block, or a sidewalk, or a street, get the rec. companies involved as wells as artists, etc... and have that person or comapany be responsible for landscaping that sidewalk, or that block, etc... that way it wouldn't be too expensive for any one person, the city would not have to put money down, and Nashville could have a city that truly reflected the people who live there....

Also, new buildings need to be ordered to add landscaping in order to be able to build, that would assure that the city would not need to fund it for the future buildings in the city.....

Just some ideas....

Does anyone else have any????

I think you'll see landscaping as a major part of any future development. All one has to do is read the plans carefully. New landscaping ordinances will require the planting and inclusion of greenspace.

It's February....the green will emerge soon. We can't do much about the river level, it's carefully controlled to prevent the flooding of downtown. It's quite a different animal and a very delicate channel when considering flooding. The Army Corps of Engineers takes charge of river levels north of the city. Believe me, they do what they have to do.

Nashville will "green up." It may never be as green as the Ham, but all the new things will right many of the wrongs of the past. Be patient.

I think you'll see landscaping as a major part of any future development. All one has to do is read the plans carefully. New landscaping ordinances will require the planting and inclusion of greenspace.
Hey Dave!

Glad to hear!! So I guess the new Veridian will have landscaping around it?

Also, you said, we can't do much about the river level, it's carefully controlled to prevent the flooding of downtown. It's quite a different animal and a very delicate channel when considering flooding. The Army Corps of Engineers takes charge of river levels north of the city. Believe me, they do what they have to do.

I don't quite understand this... doesn't the city have storm drains? Or a dam or something? We live BELOW sea level in South Florida... believe me, if given the chance, we would be underwater! But when we know its going to rain hard, or when the levels get to high, they just turn on the storm drains.... It seems to me like the same thing could be done in Nashville.... keep the river high, but when its going to rain, or during the rainy season, keep the levels low..... Believe me, it would go a long way to beautifying downtown.... it's amazing how a river or lake REALLY adds to the beauty of a city... look at places like Geneva with that beautiful fountain in the middle of the lake, or Chicago, San Antonio (I believe has a great river that runs through it...) the cities surrounding lake Michigan in the state of Michigan, and other places..... It really is an asset that the city should use to it's advantage... Also, why are there no docks on the river? It would be nice to see some sail boats dotting the landscape... and even even an entertainment area by the river... maybe have some outdoor cafes, some shops, you could even have a company that offers boat rides, etc..... That would be really nice! To actually USE the river!!!

Nashville will "green up." It may never be as green as the Ham, but all the new things will right many of the wrongs of the past. Be patient.

Please excuse my ignorance... but what is the Ham?

Like I said before, I really loved Nashville, especially the people!! Nashvillians are SOOO very kind and hospitable! Downtown would be an amazing place, if they used the natural resources more!

And believe me, the problem is not that its February.... even in the summer, the city could use more green! Especially along the really wide streets, coming in from the west, as well as from the South! There are SOO many beautiful trees on the hills surrounding Nashville, they just need to make sure every sidewalk and street has as many trees as possible! It would do wonders for air polution, too!

Heres hoping that Nashville will start using midians along their busiest streets and boulevards (or pikes... ), and have trees line all their downtown sidewalks!!!!!!

Paula

I'm not going to get too far into this discussion. The nature of a wild river within a southeastern forest (forget all civilzation here, humans are just in the way of nature anyway) is one of extremes. It's nothing like what you might understand of Florida, or Great Lakes regions. It's a channel, that channels INTENSE amounts of water. I suggest you go to the Army Corps of Engineers website to learn more about the nature of inner rivers. They can be very, very dangerous. This is not a swimming pool or a hot tub. I'm not quite the one to teach the nature of rivers, but this one can be quite fascinating and must be respected for what it is and what damage it can cause.

As far as what Nashville is or isn't. Come on, be here, and learn.

The River isn't totally useless...Shelby Bottoms runs along it and is connected to downtown via the pedestrian bridge. We have Riverfront Park which uses the River as a back drop for its concert series. The General Jackson makes its daily trip from Opryland to Downtown and we used to have the river taxis. A Yacht Club and condo development has been proposed for the downtown area and maybe even approved...I know the ArmyCorps of Engineers had something to say about it. The Cumeberland however isn't very boat friendly for recreational uses...I live in Hendersonville which spans the two peninsulas formed by Old Hickory Lake. It is a recreational paradise for residents but they will almost never take their sail-boats out of Old Hickory/Drake's Creek lakes and into the River.

Hey Dave!!

Please excuse my ignorance!! I really didn't mean to be offensive with all my questions... your right, there is alot I don't know about Nashville, thats why I'm here I guess.... You see, there are alot of places down here that have water that just weren't being used until a few years ago.... I just figured the same was the case in Nashville... Thanks for the info on rivers... I will be sure to read up on it!!!

As for Rocket, thanks for the info!!!

DallasTexan... your not to bad yourself... :D

Paula

Archived