IN-STASIS: Charles Street budget hotel

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main reason that the planned hotel on the triangular plot of land never went ahead was not because of financing or oversupply, but because there is an abundance of water below the surface soil (don't forget, the site is on filled land on the old Cove). Although the land CAN support a structure, it would be near impossible (or prohibitively expensive) to build underground parking. There are no available parking areas nearby, so the project will not move ahead until someone can solve the parking dilemma. Great site though.

Ari - I was watching a special on the History Channel last week "Rise and Fall of the World Trade Center". One interesting aspect of the show vs. this parcel is underground water. The World Trade Center abated this by building the towers in a "concrete bathtub" to hold back the Hudson River. The same technique could be deployed in this parcel to keep the water out, no?

Ari - I was watching a special on the History Channel last week "Rise and Fall of the World Trade Center". One interesting aspect of the show vs. this parcel is underground water. The World Trade Center abated this by building the towers in a "concrete bathtub" to hold back the Hudson River. The same technique could be deployed in this parcel to keep the water out, no?

Probably, but that sounds like it would be prohibitively expensive, especially with regard to the type of project this is.

• 2 months later...

Just in case anyone's following this project:

In some minor news, a neighbor of mine who owns a business on Charles Street says that construction should begin on the new hotel (name escapes me) down near the Home Depot sometime in the next week or so.

Nothing in the news yet, but its good to hear this is moving forward.

Probably, but that sounds like it would be prohibitively expensive, especially with regard to the type of project this is.

The downtown Courtyard Marriott did the same thing - the lower level of the garage is in the water - outrageously expensive, which is why many choose to build up, like at GTECH. However, when talking about structured parking, important to understand that a triangle shape is the least efficient shape to work with.

Do we know that a garage is still part of the project? There's enough land there to put surface parking in the back and build to the street. This would be better for the hotel guests; the further away from Route 146 - the quieter.

And I just realized (the triangle mention) that you guys are still talking about the Memorial Blvd. property. I thought there was some news about a parking garage (which was considered and later dropped).

OOPS

• 2 weeks later...

Minor revisions to the plans for the Wingate Hotel - think that's the flag - were presented today. Not a great design, but not bad for the area. Will have an electronic version in the next day or two and will get them on line. Construction should start in the next 45 to 60 days. As I sit here, I can't remember if it is 3 or 4 stories, it has surface parking and I beleive 162 rooms.

Minor revisions to the plans for the Wingate Hotel - think that's the flag - were presented today. Not a great design, but not bad for the area. Will have an electronic version in the next day or two and will get them on line. Construction should start in the next 45 to 60 days. As I sit here, I can't remember if it is 3 or 4 stories, it has surface parking and I beleive 162 rooms.

Is the surface parking in the rear of the property with the building built to the property line?

Unfortunately, we have no power under the exisitng zoning to require that the building be built to the street edge. The hotel will sit in the middle of a parking lot, though it will be a well designed parking lot with lots of landscpaing (more then we can require by zoning) and a street edge created by a steel fence. The buidling will be brick on the facade with some accent materials and will follow the typical sububan pattern of efis on the other sides.

I'm not really seeing the validity of these arguments concerning parking. This area of Charles is a commercial and industrial zone. The developer of the hotel has very valid points about the feasibility of building to the street. While some areas of the city should not encourage suburban-style development, when the infrastructure supports it, as in this case, we should not be criticizing the style. This area of Charles is coming around and building a hotel with surface parking will not destroy the character of the area. Right now, there is no character. This development will enhance the area.

This area of Charles is coming around and building a hotel with surface parking will not destroy the character of the area. Right now, there is no character. This development will enhance the area.

No, unfortunately, a hotel with street fronting surface parking will not ruin the character of this section of Charles Street. That does not mean however we shouldn't hope to enhance the character of the area. This project sits right on the line between the Charles neighborhood which is built in classic New England urban style, and the Walmart-Home Depot-Sex Shop crap that Charles Street becomes. This suburban garbage extends all the way to the State House and includes the Marriott and the state offices around Orms Street. There's no reason this area can't be made more dense and reconnect the Charles neighborhood to Capital Center and Downcity. Or we can roll over and allow the suburban divide to expand further and further.

i do not subscribe to the school of thought that spouts that bad design and development is better than none at all. I do not believe that it is an "either/or." Unless this hotel is asking for ZERO variances they should be "convinced" to do the right thing, i don't care how much of a dump it is down there. Standards are standards all over the city, not just where the rich people live.

your mileage, however, may vary.

I'm not really seeing the validity of these arguments concerning parking. This area of Charles is a commercial and industrial zone. The developer of the hotel has very valid points about the feasibility of building to the street. While some areas of the city should not encourage suburban-style development, when the infrastructure supports it, as in this case, we should not be criticizing the style. This area of Charles is coming around and building a hotel with surface parking will not destroy the character of the area. Right now, there is no character. This development will enhance the area.

I guess we all wanted it built to the street because the city was able to get Home Depot to do it. Remember, Home Depot also flattened the Silver Spring mill in the process. The hotel is replacing an empty former production facility. I'm eager to see the render!

As far as the neighborhood, that awful industrial park where the post office sits was the worst thing that ever happened to that area, and it effectively discouraged dense urban development all around it. So we ended up with a mini red light district because the city saw it as better than nothing. (I can hear Jen... "nothing is better!") Wal-Mart and the hotel is a step in the right direction, hopefully its just the beginning.

I think the dissenters are right to be extremely wary of this project. The run-of-the-mill Comfort Suites properties are suitable for a highway interchange. Allowing cheap, expedient architecture to encroach upon the downtown area is very poor planning at best, and a nightmare at worst. If this is allowed, the floodgates could be opened for more of this expendable, automobile oriented, building downtown. Please do not allow it.

I guess we all wanted it built to the street because the city was able to get Home Depot to do it. Remember, Home Depot also flattened the Silver Spring mill in the process. The hotel is replacing an empty former production facility. I'm eager to see the render!

As far as the neighborhood, that awful industrial park where the post office sits was the worst thing that ever happened to that area, and it effectively discouraged dense urban development all around it. So we ended up with a mini red light district because the city saw it as better than nothing. (I can hear Jen... "nothing is better!") Wal-Mart and the hotel is a step in the right direction, hopefully its just the beginning.

Meanwhile, the Walmart seems to be built to the street, but at an odd angle, almost diagonal with the street. Odd.

This is the job site. You can see Thom's point about not reducing the character of the street. Not that improving the character of the street shouldn't be a priority. However, given that 146 and the train tracks divides this area from Downcity, I don't see as much of the concern about this style creeping downtown.

w00z6x.jpg

Archived