St. Johns Town Center open

BosTech

Actually, they just completed renovations for the entire mall.  But I don't know if they're planning on attracting new anchor stores or new retailers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but the curb appeal is horrid. If you drive by there's trash throughout the parking lot, the landscaping could use a facelift and the overall cleanliness of the mall isn't what it once was.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, I don't know where Victoria's Secret is, but Dillards does have an entrance that faces the main shopping street.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, Dillards faces the main shopping street, but with the sidewalk not flowing from the main focus of the other shops to Dillard's...the lay out is jagged, not warm and welcoming, it doesn't flow. I would have thought that this type of shopping development would have more of a cityscape type of feel to it...even though it's not technically "cityscape"...allowing its guests to freely flow and meander throughout.

Another example would be Celebration Town Center. Its shops and restaurants were built within an area that was previously vacant, however it feels good and is inviting...this one does not possess that type of feeling. There's also the example of Seaside, east of Destin, FL. It was built on a vacant beach, yet it has the feeling and warmth of a true "town center".

Again, just an observation on my part...that's all. :)

^Ewww, I had no idea!  It still shows its 90's-ness....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly! :thumbsup: It's nasty! Yuck!

When I drive by there I am half-tempted to call mall management and ask, "What are you thinking? You're putting all of this money into refurbishing your mall, placing a new advertising campaign, but many shoppers stopped coming here many months ago because the place is filthy. They're now RUNNING for your 'new & CLEAN' comp mall down the street!"

Okay, so maybe SJTC doesn't "flow" in design, layout and feel; but at least it is clean. That's a good thing!

Aren't both malls operated by the same company?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a good point. I didn't even think about that, but they are in fact both managed by Simon.

From their website:

Simon Property Group, Inc., headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana, is a real estate investment trust engaged in the ownership, development and management of retail real estate, primarily regional malls, Premium Outlet centers and community shopping centers. Through its subsidiary partnerships, it currently owns or has an interest in 300 properties in the United States containing an aggregate of 202 million square feet of gross leasable area in 40 states plus Puerto Rico. Simon also holds interests in 51 European shopping centers in France, Italy, Poland and Portugal; 5 Premium Outlet centers in Japan; one Premium Outlet center in Mexico; and one shopping center in Canada.

SPG is the largest publicly traded retail real estate company in North America with a total market capitalization of approximately $36 billion.

Corporate Headquarters

Simon Property Group, Inc.

115 West Washington Street

Indianapolis, Indiana 46204

(317) 636-1600

Archived