Improving Flint's Riverfront

tropolis

Right now, the flint river is very dirty, and the concrete walls for a riverbank are ugly in my perspective. All that i have seen there are a couble pedestrian bridges and a grassy area. What could be done to improve it?

Rivers are one of the best ways to bring tourism. It makes a city more appealing, and raises the value of the surounding area. Of course, the first thing to do is to clean the water of the Flint river. But what else can be changed or added to make people want to visit the river?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They could put a sidewalk along the river, and allow spaces for vendors here and there to sell things like frozen lemonade, water, etc. They could put in more and better-looking tables and benches. Further west down the river, they definitely should have some urban housing, or even some mixed-use buildings.

But most importantly, they should keep the landscape around there clean and well-groomed.

I wouldn't put a wooden riverwalk downtown. Wood requires more maintenance than any other material, and the city doesn't exactly have money to be treating the wood every year. Wood can also be slippery when it is wet, so there might be some issues there. Granted, the city finances are better than they were, but the money would be better spent elsewhere.

Instead, I would like to see something similar to what Detroit has on their riverfront. However, instead of making the whole thing concrete pavers, I would do some of it with the pavers, and leave other areas as grass. New benches and trees would do wonders in improving the useage and look of the riverfront. The river really needs to be cleaned out too. The last time I was downtown, I stopped briefly on the Saginaw Street bridge over the river and was disgusted by what I saw. The river needs help! Several of the riverwalk benches were sunk at the bottom, and there was trash floating on the surface.

I want a riverfront shopping center, which would basicly be a long strip mall along the river. Along these shops would be a concrete path, some grassy space, and lots of activities, such as face painting, games, guess weight/ age, etc. And performers that do stuff like magic tricks for kids. The riverfront should define the city. It should be the most active center downtown.

Unrealistic but good:

I want to look across the river and see the roof of an IMAX theatre on the carriage town side, and the ferris wheel in the amusement complex. This complex is nothing much, just a ferris wheel, mini golf and a go-kart track.

Archived