Art in Ruins redesigned

Cotuit

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm bumping this thread because ArtInRuins has joined UP and everyone should be sure to visit this great site if they haven't already.

Art In Ruins is one of the valuable resources I've turned to for information on what's doing in Providence.

I'm bumping this thread because ArtInRuins has joined UP and everyone should be sure to visit this great site if they haven't already.

Art In Ruins is one of the valuable resources I've turned to for information on what's doing in Providence.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed... This was probably the first Providence urbanism site I found on the web way back when I learned I would be moving here. It's a fantastic resource, and no one else is doing the kind of work and advocacy they are. Everyone here should check it out!

One request I have, though, is maybe for a streamlining of the website design. I sometimes am not sure how to get to where I want to go there or aren't sure where I am. Sometimes what I would guess is a link isn't, etc... I'm assuming that the new interface is still under construction, however...

- Garris

PS: Feel free to just ignore me since I actually know nothing and couldn't design a site anyway. The last website I designed was 10 years ago and all that knowledge was long ago lost into the ether... :)

Interesting reply, Garris. I'd like to get more posts like this so i can improve the site. I added the six little rotating thumbnails to the navigation to facilitate browsing, and in the first month, I saw an increase in pages per visit of about 25%. I think it might be due to the ease of which one can just keep clicking around and around, but maybe not. Maybe I've confused people...

What are other peoples thoughts? This redesign took me about two months, and I dont plan to change it for awhile...

There's not an obvious home link. When I'm browsing and want to go back to the begining I delete everything past the .com to bring me to the homepage.

The new design looks slick by the way.

Oh, and thanks for the mention of UP. Hopefully you'll get hooked enough to this place to hang around with us all, but not so much that A.I.R. suffers. :ph34r:

Yeah... home links... I usually hate home links, but I guess there is a need for them. I was thinking of integrating a site search powered by Google too. *sigh*. Where to put all these buttons? I thought I did a good job, but maybe not.

For now, when you click on "Documenting Providence's" or "Arts and Architecture" you'll go home. Maybe I'll build these buttons into the subnavs instead...

• 1 year later...

Archived