Nashville murder rate drops to 37 year low

BrandonTO416

http://www.police.nashville.org/news/media/2005/01/01.htm

January 1, 2005

Chief Ronal Serpas today announced that murder in Nashville dropped to a 37-year low in 2004.

Fifty-eight persons were murdered in Nashville last year. That is the lowest total since 1967, when 58 persons were the victims of homicide, and is a 19.4% drop from 2003

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that Chief Serpas is doing a wonderful job. Also the new police station on the North side were a lot of Nashville's crime take place has help the rate also. I have to say that the police presents in Nashville is very high, I cant drive down a road with out seein atleast 5police cars. Good Job Serpas and the MPD...

Serpas' traffic enforcement rules are a bit insane, I got a $40 ticket for not having my light on at dusk and for not changing my address. A bit rediculous since my address is temporary and i still consider my permenant address at another location...

I'm also not buying that he's the reason murders are down.

But its good to note lower murder rates.

• 3 weeks later...

The murder rate has drop but I wish they would catch this west-side attacker.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's good news.

I always wonder too though how much drops like that can be attributed to good police work, or other factors--like the aging population, the declining popularity of crack, etc.

I've read both sides of the issue, so who knows.

That's good news.

I always wonder too though how much drops like that can be attributed to good police work, or other factors--like the aging population, the declining popularity of crack, etc.

I've read both sides of the issue, so who knows.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here are the stats since 1990:

1990 - 66

1991 - 89

1992 - 89

1993 - 85

1994 - 73

1995 - 105

1996 - 91

1997 - 112

1998 - 97

1999 - 68

2000 - 74

2001 - 66

2002 - 65

2003 - 72

2004 - 58

There is definately a downward trend in murders over the past 7 years....so you decide why.

Who knows?

Crack use peaked in 1997?

The police became more effectively proactive beginning in 1998?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol...yeah, exactly. It seems to vary quite a bit...we'll see if the numbers are in the 40's or 50's at the end of this year or the 60's or 70's...

There are 12,000 gun murders in the USA every year as opposed to less than 10 in Canada and Canada has more guns! Go figure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Canada has more guns? They have 2 million registered guns...Tennessee alone has 500,000 members of the NRA...I'm sure that rest of the south has similar numbers. I doubt that they have more guns.

Archived