Orlando Getting Light Rails

sunshine

I disagree. I think Mobility 20/20 was on track, no pun intended, until the "Lexus Lane" concept came up. Even if it was a small part of the plan, and even if the opposition seriously overhyped it, this was what soured so many people to Mobility 20/20.

I think another part of the problem was that Mobility 20/20 itself didn't really live up to the hype. It was presented as a big-picture, big-thinking panacea to the region's transportation woes. Instead, it was, in a nutshell, just another run-of-the-mill road expansion project. If Mobility 20/20 had been full of great ideas, perhaps it wouldn't have been sunk by one lousy one that wasn't even a big part of the package.

As for light rail, I'm all for it. But I can see why it's not so popular among locals. The Orlando metro is so spread out, making an effective and practical light rail system a daunting challenge. How many blocks would a person have to walk from light rail stations to their home or job? How many buses would they have to take in addition to light rail to get where they are going? Would it be quicker just to drive? If that's the case, it would be hard to convince people with cars -- even well-meaning, urban planning enthusiasts -- to hop on board a train, and then a bus, and then a walk, instead of a quick trip in the ol' car.

I think it would be easier to convince the tourists. Get them off the roads, and that will help. Heck, I'd park somewhere and then ride a train up and down I-Drive rather than deal with the traffic down there. It's a mess. A working light rail system in that part of town would be a great start to developing other rail lines throughout the region. Start there, get it working and then spread the system elsewhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I don't share your faith in the Lexus conspiracy ;) maybe I'll be proven wrong the next go-round.

I think they were just overconfident.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly! The only way disney would approve of something like this would be if it went directly from the airport to their property (like the highspeed rail thing) or afterward if they realized they were losing profit to it and then hooked up. I think it would make a lot more sense for Universal to connect to it sense they are much more a part of the I-Drive corridor scene and see a lot more "commuter" tourists.

I just don't see the feds coughing up the money apart from a loud 'Amen!' from Orange Countians to a tax increase. I just don't see it happening.

Also, will this in any way interfere with commuter rail, or is that a separate pile of money ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's separate. Commuter rail, to simplify greatly, would be Central Florida's Tri-Rail. FDOT is the lead agency, where the light rail would presumably be under the domain of LYNX.

Mica has thrown his support into commuter rail, and from what the Slantinel article reports, into light rail as well. Federal funding for two Orlando projects? Even with local representation on the House Transportation Committee, I don't see it unless Orange County ponies up more.

Why is that?  Keep in mind that this is the Osceola New-Gazette.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bad day. Read it again and feel a little better. :)

Still, I thought that it was a little farther along on the intergovernmental level. and the comment from one of the commissioners about traffic not being bad enough for motorists struck me as too true, I guess.

I actually agree, but I just hope the get the thing in place so that it becomes something our town can get used to overtime and eventually, when the traffic is really bad, people will start taking it. Wishful thinking perhaps.

I read something in the same paper a few weeks ago that talked about another Lynx Intermodal Center being built in downtown Kissimmee. I believe right now their Osceola hub is at the Osceola Square Mall and they want to bring it downtown. They had some renderings, looked better than the downtown center, IMO.

Archived