Wish List For Jacksonville

jjoshjl

I'm not a developer, jsut a loley computer programer, but I am obsessed with watching our downtown grow, so, I wanted to start a thread for individuals like me to post things they would like to see for Jacksonville. This can be Downtown Development Ideas, Companies we would like to bring, Directions Jacksonville should take, ETC. Basicly, describe what you want for JAX, put their pro's and there cons, and maybe, since alot of developers seem to watch these boards, maybe, just maybe someone might pick one up and try and do something with it. If nothing else, it will be a good sharing of ideas.

Have fun

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

~Renovated Landing: big-name retail/restaurants/residences/parking

~Expanded Skyway: Bay Street/Main Street/Riverside Avenue

~Prime Osborne Transit Hub: Amtrak/Greyhound/Skyway/Rapid Transit/City Buses

~Old Courthouse Site: new convention center/retail/residences

~Affordable/Moderate Housing: build on surface parking near the new library on Main St./build on lots near Jefferson Station/build at Hayden Burns site

~Complete Everything on P&C List

I would like to see future development implementing more architecturally creative elements. I understand environment influences design, which partly explains why we have so much turquoise/aqua/blue downtown (e.g., Bank of America, SunTrust, Wachovia, Humana, Alltel, Riverpointe) to reflect various shades of the St. Johns and exterior surface colors consisting of what I describe as washed out beiges and grays. Notable in this group are the modis, CSX and Blue Cross Blue Shield buildings as well as the Adam's Mark and Alltel.

an aquarium would be amazing jaxinvestor, one out on an old shipyard like baltimore's would be great, i think itd be cool though ear im possibleif a trench were cit through the northern tip of san marco making the entire south bank an island giving jax a more pittsburgh look from the water prospective. i think devoping the old courthouse land now would be a waste since it is in such a prime location, i say save it for a large project in the future that could tie berkman plaza in with the rest of downtown a little more. not a little wimpy condo or convention center. for the convention center problem just build on to the parking lot and build a parking garage, not hard. and build the new courthouse up not some large behemoth wasting downtown land.

an aquarium would be amazing jaxinvestor, one out on an old shipyard like baltimore's would be great, i think itd be cool though ear im possibleif a trench were cit through the northern tip of san marco making the entire south bank an island giving jax a more pittsburgh look from the water prospective. i think devoping the old courthouse land now would be a waste since it is in such a prime location, i say save it for a large project in the future that could tie berkman plaza in with the rest of downtown a little more. not a little wimpy condo or convention center. for the convention center problem just build on to the parking lot and build a parking garage, not hard. and build the new courthouse up not some large behemoth wasting downtown land.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

An aquarium does sound pretty neat downtown but why do we need a canal splitting San marco.

we dont need one, its a wish list not a need list. i just think it would look nice. it is probably the last thing in the world to be proposed for downtown but i think it would add to beauty if it was done right with pedestrian bridges and such. im talking about a good 200-400 feet wide.

Definately an Aquarium, a blow your mind state of the art kind of deal.

A movie theater in the heart of downtown would be nice, not an artsy fartsy one, just a reg. movie theater. If people went downtown to watch a movie, they might grab a bite to eat first at a local restaurant or go for a drink afterwards in one the bars.

I'd love IKEA to open up downtown, that would really be a draw...trust me.

My wish would be to totally pedestrianize Bay St, so no traffic could drive through. I know that's totally unfeasible, but this is a wish list. There would be benches & trees in the middle, cafe's with tables outside, street musicians. The city I grew up in did that to a busy street in town & it was very successful.

I'd like to see everything mentioned so far in this wish list. To add to the pedestrian friendly Bay St, I wouldn't mind the Beaver St and Hemming Plaza farmer's markets being relocated and expanded during the day. There would be so much fresh produce and other goodies!

I forgot to mention that Jacksonville should have a maritime museum dedicated to showing the historical aspect of the Jacksonville shipyards and maybe a joint museum on the city's history right on Bay Street. That would be neat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As you probably know, the city already has a maritime museum and an historical museum, flanking either side of the main st bridge on the southbank riverwalk. Both are obviously very small.

As far as the historical museum goes ... the historical society only opperates there because the city provides them with a free location. If anyone offered them free museum space in a better location, they would surely take it. Though the current center offers great river views, it has incredibly low foot traffic.

But don't expect either mini-museum to move any time soon. They have free rent from the city. It's hard to beat that deal.

Both of those places keep very weird and unrealiable hours.  Everytime I've made the trip down to visit them, they have been closed, during hours they advertise as being open.  BTW, I went to MOSH for the first time, last Saturday.  Its got a pretty large "History of Jax" section worth visiting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The historical society doesn't have much money, so it hires really unreliable part-timers to staff the historical center. The real employees don't have time to check on them, so they skip out on work. If you ever see it closed during advertised open hours, give their main office a call, I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

Saw this on another post and remember that it was somethign I always wanted here. A nice Sky High Reseraunt. As mentioned in the previous post, someone already 'owns' the top of the suntrust building, but that would be a nice place to have it . I've been to one in San Francisco where you were having diner at 50 floors up, and let me tell you before that I was blah about SF, after that, I cant wait to go back. It realy makes an impression when everyone can see your city from a birds eye view.

Cheers

Saw this on another post and remember that it was somethign I always wanted here. A nice Sky High Reseraunt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually we have at least two, but they are both members-only clubs. The River Club is on top of the Modis building, and as previously mentioned, the University Club is on top of Riverplace tower on the southbank. I've never been to the University Club, but I've been to the River Club ... the views are AMAZING. It's a really nice experience.

I know the Riverclub is seeking new members (I haven't been since its recent rennovations, so I have no idea if the place is still as nice). However, it's pretty darn expensive.

See thats Just it, they are all private. Don't get me wrong, I am all for private groups investing like that downtown. But if I just want to take my wife on a date or if im from out of town, those options arent availible to me. Ahh, but I degress.

Anyway, just a thought

I would like a streetcar line going from downtown up Main Street to about 25th Street. I would like one down Riverside also from downtown to King Street. Also, a larger convention center, more hotels and some buildings not designed by KBJ. Finally, a proper monument to the 1901 Jacksonville fire on the order of the London Fire Monument, ie classical design. That monstrosity on the Riverwalk should be melted down for scrap.

I would like a streetcar line going from downtown up Main Street to about 25th Street.  I would like one down Riverside also from downtown to King Street.  Also, a larger convention center, more hotels and some buildings not designed by KBJ.  Finally, a proper monument to the 1901 Jacksonville fire on the order of the London Fire Monument, ie classical design.  That monstrosity on the Riverwalk should be melted down for scrap.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like the streetcar idea. A streetcar use to run down Main through Springfield. I would love to have that again. Same thing with Rside. Only, don't stop at King, go to at least the Ortega cutover street.

A larger, more promenient monument to the Great Fire would be appropriate, but I actually like the one on the Riverwalk too. Jax should establish a Mall area with some appropriate memorials. Some War memorials, a Great Fire monument, a memorial to all policemen/firemen/troopers that have died in the line of duty, etc. These should be incorporated as 'nodes" along the Northbank Riverwalk.

I would also like to see a new urbanist development in the Brooklyn area just adjacent to downtown similar to City Place in WPB or Mud Island in Memphis. Dense residential development (although please no more stucco), upscale retail and boutique hotels. This would connect downtown and Riverside and would accomodate the streetcar line which I wish we had. If I only had the capital...

Archived