Wish List For Jacksonville

jjoshjl

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NEW WISH:

I think a number of people have said this, and I agree. An area downtown where the strees are permanantly closed to cars. Further more, a good number of us always say, well, i wish I could do something. I think I have an idea. If some one would tell me how to upload a picture from my computer, Ill show you the map of what would be a good start (in my opinion). but why not start a petition to get certain areasopen to jsut foot traffic.

For starters, just open up the street directly infront of the Landing. Also open up the Bay street area. Just a few blocks to begin with. The if that looks successfull, continute with a few other city streets annd/or expand the bay street walking zone. We all keep talking about it, so, lets do something. I'm not the greatest linguist, but if you guys think its a good idea, I can type up the petition and repost it here, Then we all do what we can to get signitures, . compiile them into one package, and forward them to the city. (also, if you guys want to do this, help me think of some ways to offset cost of converting the streets) Let's do what we can to start turning downtown into a real downtown with real foot trafic, and real business.

The city serves the wishes of those who voice them load enough, not us serving the people who scream the loadest in the city government.

What harm is there in trying.

Any takers?

Cheers

The only Pedestrian Mall that I have seen, that would be considered a success, is Lincoln Road in Miami Beach. There must be others, but I seem to be few and far between.

You don't have to remove cars completely to create a great urban environment. The pedestrian environment shouldn't be completely sacrificed for autos, but autos can't be eliminated either. Cutting off vehicle access is usually the death knell for a business. Even a minor constructoin project, with the street still remaining open, can cut a business's revenues drastically. Just ask the 5 points merchants. And that was only a temporary situation.

The better idea is to make the sidewalks sufficiently wide, in good repair and visually appealing. Good Shade is a definite plus as well. That plus one or two more Hemming Plaza-like areas should do the job without disrupting reasonable traffic flow and access.

The only Pedestrian Mall that I have seen, that would be considered a success, is Lincoln Road in Miami Beach.  There must be others, but I seem to be few and far between. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, this is exactly what I would like to see. When I lived in MIA I used to stroll down Lincoln with my friend from time to time. It was quite nice. What space in Jax would be available to create something like Lincoln Road with the type of tropical, breezy, not stuck up attitude that would make such a place a fun place to walk, talk and look? There is very little land available near downtown for such a project. Putting it out in the suburbs would make it too mallish. I'm thinking somewhere near the beaches is a perfect fit. Maybe somewhere near JTB and Kernan, kind of close to the intracostal. There is plenty of timber land over that could be chopped down to create this thing.

A pedestrian mall doesn't work in areas where there aren't high levels of population density. That means downtown would be a bad place for something like this.

However, with proper design, a pedestrian mall could strive at Jax Beach. Instead of closing off a street, just improve the SeaWalk, by forcing condo developers to add retail space and interesting public areas, where they face the Seawalk. Its already a popular spot, has several shops & restaurants fronting it and is pedestrian only. The key would be adding more retail space and linking it to destination anchors, such as the new pier.

This pedestrian area is very popular at Jax Beach.  Its loaded with restuarants, bars and a couple of surf shops.  Adding more retail along the walk, as well as First Street, would be a great idea.

jacksonvillebeachseawalk5lz.jpg

boardwalk-dunes.jpg

girls.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After the seeing the pic with the girls I now understand why I miss being in Florida, especially Jax. I was thinking of a area that would stretch from where Fiesta Playera is held down to where the Ocean Club is maybe a little beyond that. Include some retail and more outdoor seating at the restaurants. But the area in the pics does get a lot of foot traffic and would also be a good fit if it was slightly wider, had some retail and the space was more continuous.

nice pic :thumbsup:

Ok, so walking area downtown bad for business. Makes sense. Shoulda thought about that. I know it's the old question of which comes first, business or people (chicken or the egg) BUt what are some things we can do now to get people down town. In general, people think downtown is boring, no commerce, and in general not safe. Though most everyone here knows for the most part, thats not true. What are some things jax CAN do to get people downtown. I love the artwalk, my wife even performed in it super bowl week, but its not enough, nor is it frequent enough to realy get people downtown on a regular basis. It isnt even realy advertised well. what are some changes that can relativly simply be made to get people downtown. If they come, they will build it. How can we create the damand for more retail business downtown.

Sorry... Just me venting I guess. I jsut think our downtown has so much potential, but it seems like the Jax population doesnt care for it too much as a whole. Anyway, I digress...

Cheers

There's no one event or number of events that's going to completely change the public's perception of downtown. With that siad, now the ball is in the city's court.

I think, now is the time to get delayed projects, like The Barnett, Laura Trio, and the Landing renovation rolling. The Northbank needs more residents and the projects along Adams will help that need, as well as feed the restaurants and shops already operating along that stretch.

The Landing is still the main thing downtown. Its time to get its renovations underway, because it is the one thing in the Northbank, that will become an instant draw, on a constant basis, if its remodeled to reach it potential. Just look at the success of the Twisted Martini. The Landing already has name recognition around town. Fire it up, as quick as possible.

Another thing to push is the evolution of Bay Street into a nightlife and dining district. Now that half of the sidewalk is done, its time to work overtime to attract restaurant, bar & club owners to locate within those three blocks. Do whatever it takes to get this thing going, even if it means tax breaks for business owners. When they come in, they should be required to have interesting signage and have their businesses open to the steet, with features like outdoor dining. If we can get a number of clubs to open within walking distance of each other, word will definately get out that this district will be the place to be, because people like being seen. Well those are my suggestions. If the city wakes up, all of this can be achieved in about a year.

I agree with you completely. I believe when those projects come to fruition, downtown serves a much greater chance of thriving after the workday is over. A good portion of the Jacksonville population, however, I feel is apathetic towards the type of progress we yearn for and maybe contributes to such a slow response to new venues and opportunities.

For example, a handful of my college classmates did not want to participate in the Super Bowl festivities. Most of them echoed the sentiment that there were too many people downtown or that there wouldn't be anything to do. They're the same people who complain Jacksonville is nothing but a small town, yet when something of that magnitude graces our city, they refuse to take part in it.

I think as more businesses decide to relocate or expand in Jacksonville, the transplants will develop an appreciation not experienced by those who have grown up or lived in Jacksonville a good part of their lives. They'll certainly witness the city's progress and look for even the most minute changes that are coming. I think that will have a significant impact for instilling a heartbeat, rather than a murmur, downtown.

In the meantime, let's all move into the top floors of the Bank of America tower. :)

Well here are some tips on making DT place to be,based on life in Europe.....Most cities in Europe ,especially in southern Europe/Balkans have what they call "corso" or "Main" street where people hang out and want to be seen or meet other people,usually that area is PEDASTRIAN ,like in my old city street trafic cuts thru on several places,imagine having Bay st pedestrian and Main st for example open for traffic and so parallel streets....place for people to walk and still have limited access for some trafiic.....Its not traffic that builds business but people visiting and for that to happen you need to have area that is 1. Convinient 2. Safe 3. Afordable

Closing Bay st with offering garages on other street for people to park is way to create entertainmet district,next thing is to make it safe 24/7 next thing we need to do is bring SMALL BUSINESSES that offer variety of services in DT....mostly bars and coffee shops,night clubs,game stores,galleries,resturants but ALSO other things liek jeverly shops,boutiqes even computer shops with mixed use like cyber-cafe/Lan party/gadget store.....Variaty of choices when you go DT....That is why people go to bigger cities like NY or Tokio.

Back in Europe me and my buddy would start night around 5PM,go to little casion (it was pc games place),play some games for few hours then hit DT visit few bars,have drink or two or even coffee...if hungry hit some fast food,then scroll to "corso" to check out girls and people ,maybe meet someone and then hit night club about 11-12 and stay there as late as 6AM...All this in few square miles ,mostly walking...and after club take city bus home which stops right in front of club and drives every 15 minutes...you can party and have good time without a car and even with little money.

Now I would like to see current courthouse turn into usefull place ,divide bottome to night clubs and bars/coffee shops and uper floors to galleries and other entertaining business ,mostly or regular people not for riches and famous.....Whats a point if only way to go DT you have to make 200,000+ yearly.

The European model of density is a long term goal we should definately strive for. However, at this point, the only way that would be a success here is for the population density in the immediate area to pick up and for housing to get more affordable. Most US urban street malls, such as Franklin Street, in Tampa have been a failure, because businesses lose visibility, by completely shutting off cars and there isn't a sizable population with disposable income to support them. Lincoln Street in Miami Beach, only works because that city has a population density well over 11,000 people per mile. No area in this region is anywhere near that type of density.

In the meantime, there are several things you can do, to create the atmosphere you seek. For example, the streets are open in Ybor (Tampa) during the day, and made pedestrian only on weekend nights. Several other booming nightlife and retail districts, open to traffic, like the Gaslamp (San Diego), the Flats (Cleveland), Greektown (Detroit), Orange Ave (Orlando), Las Olas (Fort Lauderdale) work as well.

Archived