Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

powhound

Bayside

Unfortunately finding renderings of the places being built are hard to come by online. If i find any i will post them up, peace.

some info on whats going down in da greatest city in cumberland county

Bayside has huge growth plans

BAYSIDE'S REBIRTH

Here are some of the development proposals in Portland's Bayside neighborhood and their estimated values:

DEVELOPER: Avesta Housing, 100 subsidized apartments and market-rate condominiums, Pearl, Oxford and Lancaster streets. $20 million

DEVELOPER: Theodore West/Atlantic National Trust, 100 four-bedroom student apartments with office-retail building and parking garage, Marginal Way and Preble Street Extension. $25 million

DEVELOPER: City of Portland, parking garage and three office buildings, Somerset and Elm streets. $30 million

DEVELOPER: Jeffrey Cohen/The Berl Co. LLC,94-unit condominium building, 409 Cumberland Ave. $20 million

DEVELOPER: The Gottesman Co., Austin, Texas, Somerset Marketplace, supermarket and retail building, Franklin, Somerset and Pearl streets. $15 million

TOTAL: $110 million

Source: City of Portland

Portland Press Herald

Ahhh some more info for people interested in P-towns growth. All these developments are going to be happening on the land you see from 295, which is not a pretty view IMO, this will really fill in the city, unless you get off the road you can never see what kind of city portland is.

THE CHANGING LANDSCAPE

-Portland Press Herald

The Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad has submitted legislation to acquire

an abandoned rail easement through Portland's Bayside neighborhood so

the train could extend its tracks from the Eastern Promenade to

Hadlock Field, home of the Sea Dogs baseball team

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/loc...0201train.shtml

This would be awesome for portland and make getting around in the summer more convienent, seriously who wants to deal with parking in portland. Would be nice if there was a stop by the bars at night!

Eastern prom in P-town

steamfest03_sm.jpg

To Fenway errr i mean hadlock

pwall.jpg

Also with the downeasters plan to build station a on the penisula, travel could be a little dicey.

Great information, welcome to the forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanx.

bayside is in for a total transformation.

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/loc...18liberty.shtml

A developer who helped change downtown Portland during the 1980s has signed a contract to buy the former Jordan's Meats plant, which closed this month.

Michael Liberty says he's forming a partnership to tear down the factory and redevelop the two-acre site. He is considering three development options: an upscale hotel with condominiums, apartments or a stand-alone condominium project. Construction could start late this year or early in 2006, he said.

Liberty says he's still negotiating with several parties and hasn't made a final decision. But he's leaning toward the hotel-residential option and can envision a $100 million project with 150 rooms, condominiums on the top two floors and parking for about 500 cars. The hotel likely would be a franchise of the Westin chain.

"Any one of these three alternatives would fit nicely into what the city is proposing for that area," he said.

Liberty, who has a home in Gray and divides his time between Maine and California, hasn't developed a project in Portland since the late 1980s. But he has kept an eye on the Jordan's Meats property, which is across from 100 Middle Street Plaza, the office complex his company built in 1985. He's well aware of the property's strategic location.

"I think it's the most valuable piece of undeveloped land in the city," he said.

The Jordan's property is a high-visibility location that is central to Portland's ongoing redevelopment plans. It sits on the edge of the city's eastern waterfront and abuts Franklin Arterial, the direct corridor from Interstate 295 to the harbor. Its opposite flank runs along India Street, a revived commercial strip within sight of the pending Ocean Gateway cruise ship terminal.

"That area and Bayside are the two most important redevelopment areas in the city and will be for the foreseeable future," said John Lufkin, who heads Portland's economic development division.

Liberty has set a meeting for today with city officials to discuss his plans. He's expected to meet with Lufkin, Lee Urban, the city's planning and development director, and Alex Jaegerman, Portland's planning director. Although any approvals would come from the Planning Board and City Council, the staff can hear details of Liberty's plans, Lufkin said, and advise him about how they fit with the area's zoning and master plan.

Liberty emerged in the mid-1980s as an innovative and sometimes controversial developer who came to personify the condominium boom of the period. When he and partner David Cope introduced Chandlers Wharf in 1985, the first luxury condos on Portland's waterfront, the project sold out in three days.

Liberty was less successful a year later when he and partners announced plans to build a $50 million mixed-use project on Long Wharf, next to DiMillo's Floating Restaurant. The project, which ultimately fell through, fed concerns that the city's working waterfront would be transformed into high-end housing. The result was a referendum in 1987 that led to a moratorium on nonmarine uses on the waterfront, restrictions that generally endure today.

In less-divisive ways, Liberty also put his mark on the city during the period with 100 Middle Street Plaza, the twin office towers that brought 204,000 square feet of top office space into the market. Nearby, the Custom House parking garage and mixed-use project stands at Pearl and Fore streets.

Today, Liberty oversees a diversified empire under the umbrella of the Liberty Companies, based in South Portland. Pursuits include real estate, textiles, technology, manufacturing and entertainment.

But housing, notably affordable units, remains a core focus. A subsidiary of the Liberty Companies, American Housing Preservation Corp., has more than 10,000 apartment units in 18 states valued at more than $600 million. The company was in the news three years ago when basketball star Shaquille O'Neal invested in a $100 million housing deal in Colorado.

The Jordan's Meats property is owned by Arkansas-based Tyson Foods. Liberty declined to say how much he's paying for the site, although local real estate brokers say Tyson had set an asking price in the $6 million range. Liberty has created a limited liability company, Seaview Development, to handle the property negotiations.

Liberty also is talking to national companies with experience building hotels and high-end housing to create a development partnership. That partner would assume a majority, equity share of the project, Liberty said.

Liberty's interest in hotel development is reflected in ongoing talks with Starwood Hotels & Resorts, the parent company of Westin Hotels. Mark Heisler, Starwood's Northeast development director, visited Portland this month and said the location is appealing. The company is in the process of conducting a feasibility study, he said, but has met with Liberty and reviewed his past projects.

"We've looked at Michael's track record," Heisler said. "It's very impressive."

The Jordan's Meats factory sits on 1.74 acres bounded by Middle, India, Fore and Franklin streets. Across Fore Street at the corner of India Street is a quarter-acre parking lot

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/loc...18village.shtml

The Village Cafe, a popular Portland restaurant for nearly 70 years, is the latest business to get caught up in the real estate fever that's sweeping the city's eastern waterfront neighborhood.

John Reali, Village Cafe's chief executive officer, has hired Malone Commercial Brokers to market the two-acre Newbury Street property and find a new location in the Portland area for the Italian-American eatery.

Joseph Malone, president of the brokerage firm, said the restaurant has been on the market for about a week and has generated significant interest. He said one out-of-state developer is considering the site for a mixture of retail, office and residential uses.

Reali said he decided to consider selling because his 550-seat, one-story restaurant needs significant and costly repairs. The flat roof on the brick building regularly springs new leaks, kitchen equipment needs updating and the sprawling parking lots should be repaved soon.

More than that, he could no longer ignore the real estate interest simmering around him. After several years of planning, city officials are actively grooming the neighborhood near the planned Ocean Gateway cruise-ship terminal for increased development.

One of Reali's neighbors, Shipyard Brewing Co., plans to build a condominium, retail and parking complex at Middle, Hancock, Fore and Commercial streets. And Tyson Foods has agreed to sell the former Jordan's Meats plant at Middle and India streets to developer Michael Liberty, who plans to build a hotel, apartments or condominiums.

"We're exploring our options," Reali, 54, said Thursday. "We have to make a decision: Do we want to make a huge investment and stay here, or do we sell and move somewhere else?"

Neither Reali nor Malone would name the asking price on the property, which borders Newbury, Hancock and Middle streets. Malone said he has yet to complete a full market analysis, but he's willing to shoot for what the market will bear. The reported asking price for the two-acre Jordan's Meats property was about $6 million.

"That India Street corridor is really hot," Malone said. "A lot of people are looking hard at it. It's already a mixed-use neighborhood, and it already has a lot of panache."

For now, Reali said, the Village remains open and eager for business as usual. The family-style restaurant, founded in 1936 by his grandfather, Vincenzo, has been Reali's life. He was raised on Newbury Street and isn't eager to leave. Wherever the Village is located, he promised, the parmigiana and lasagna will be delicious.

"We're testing the market," Reali said. "If somebody out there really wants the property and offers a good chunk of money, I'll end up relocating."

Also with the downeasters plan to  build station a on the penisula, travel could be a little dicey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where would the Amtrak Terminal on the peninsula be, along Marginal near the Trailways Station (is the Trailways Station still there? It's been years since I've been to Portland, I'm long overdue for a visit)?

There's also tracks heading along the waterfront toward the International Ferry Terminal, correct?

Where would the Amtrak Terminal on the peninsula be, along Marginal near the Trailways Station (is the Trailways Station still there? It's been years since I've been to Portland, I'm long overdue for a visit)?

There's also tracks heading along the waterfront toward the International Ferry Terminal, correct?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hey cotuit nice to see someone else interested in p-town, wassup man.

The trailways station is now at martins point, where the double tree hotel is on congress street, that's where the downeaster train station is too now, not a bad spot, lots of parking. but for visitors to portland they would have to catch a bus to go to the old port.

There are tracks that are usable that stop at the casco bay bridge coming from the west. then there's a huge fence at terminal, partly because theres a cargo storage place there. thenthere are train tracks i believe that go down commercial street, they are kind of imbedded in the road, don't even think you could use them anymore.

There moving the ferry to this new ocean gateway by the casco bay ferries, if it ever happens.

The a narrow gauge i think would cut through bayside, franklin arterial area then go down marginal, to hadlock or something like that, it would be hard to do.

And ya i believe the train station would where the old trailways station was, i think they store there busses there still. it would have to be some kind of elevated train track i would think, haven't heard much lately.

I used to live on High Street and could walk to the Trailways Station, I'm glad it wasn't where it is now, then. I seem to remember Greyhound/Vermont Transit being out that way when I lived there. But their buses were so skanky, I never rode them.

I grew up in Portland and am now in a grad program in urban planning. I think it's exciting that they are focusing on Bayside for all this development. It's nice that they are encouraging compact land use there. It will certainly improve the character of that area.

Thanks for all the great information you've been posting. I'll try to check back often to see how things develop.

(Jumps out of the shadows) Ahoy!

My name is Corey and I have been lurking around thine fair forums for a long while, and recently decided to sign myself up. :)

It's heartwarming to see some people interested interested in Portland. I plan on releasing some exclusive photos of these new developments as they unfold. Stay tuned!

I plan on releasing some exclusive photos of these new developments as they unfold. Stay tuned!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

EXCELLENT! I can't wait.

Welcome to the forum. Seems we've had a flurry of Portlanders lately! :)

PEARL PLACE

AVESTA HOUSING plans to begin construction this fall on Pearl Place, starting with 30 subsidized apartments in two buildings.

PHASE ONE: Two townhouse-style buildings along Oxford Street, replacing the former F.W. Webb Co. warehouse. The $6 million project includes a total of 30 apartments: nine one-bedroom units, 12 two-bedroom units and nine three-bedroom units.

CONSTRUCTION could begin as soon as October, with completion between August and October 2006.

RENTS WILL RANGE from $600 to $690 for a one-bedroom unit, $725 to $850 for a two-bedroom unit, and $830 to $1,000 for a three-bedroom unit, depending on family income.

PHASE TWO will be proposed at some future date. It envisions two mid-rise buildings, with 28 units each, and one townhouse-style building with 10 units. It also includes an underground parking lot to serve both phases of the Pearl Place project.

CONSTRUCTION could begin as soon as October 2006.

GOOD NEWS, In today's Press Herald....

Deal clears way for Bayside development

By KELLEY BOUCHARD, Portland Press Herald Writer

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

More than $100 million worth of redevelopment projects may proceed, now that city and state officials have agreed on details of a long-anticipated land swap in the Bayside neighborhood of Portland.

The city has made an agreement with Boulos to sell and market city land in Bayside, hoping to stimulate new development in bayside. Two projects are on the fast track to get approvals and set to construct in the fall. Both are located across AAA building, one with offices with a garage and the other is student housing. Portland trails is in the planning process for a trail to run along the old union branch in bayside. Hopefully the scrap yards will be moving within the next year, opening developent on that parcel of land.