nhl is dead

satalac

well it's official. the nhl has canceled its season because of cap issues. i hadn't really been a big hockey fan until nashville got it's own team. i started to go to their games and found it to be really fun. they've even spawned our own high schools to have their own hockey teams. yes, that's right, high school hockey in nashville tennessee. i'm really going to miss it. i don't see the nashville predators surviving much longer. it's a shame too, because they had just come off of their best season ever after making playoffs. the city was really starting to get behind their team and the games were getting even better with the awesome crowds. i hope those who caused this are happy. they just cost themselves their own jobs.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's too bad... I think both sides greatly miscalculated. In the end the players seemed willing to give up more in capitulating to a salary cap... but that doesn't matter now, does it?

Even if there was hockey I couldn't see myself paying $70 a ticket to watch a team (Bruins) that is never really trying to win the Cup. Instead they want to be just good enough to make the playoffs and a profit. Fans started not to care and toward the end of 2003-4 they weren't selling out even with a good team.

The Red Sox and the Patriots doing well are just nails in the coffin.

It's too bad... I think both sides greatly miscalculated. In the end the players seemed willing to give up more in capitulating to a salary cap... but that doesn't matter now, does it?

Even if there was hockey I couldn't see myself paying $70 a ticket to watch a team (Bruins) that is never really trying to win the Cup. Instead they want to be just good enough to make the playoffs and a profit. Fans started not to care and toward the end of 2003-4 they weren't selling out even with a good team.

The Red Sox and the Patriots doing well are just nails in the coffin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

$70 for a ticket? wow. i'm glad nashville has a small market cause we can (well, could) get tickets for $10. at least ya'll have good football and baseball teams. even though i hate the pats ;)

well lookie there, they are starting the season after all. Finally they are realizing they are breaking our hearts out here!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05050/460149.stm

Oh and I'll make it a consensus I also would not pay $70 to see the Bruins . . . who would want to watch those bums anyways :P

GO PENS!

well lookie there, they are starting the season after all.  Finally they are realizing they are breaking our hearts out here!

http://www.pittsburghfirst.com/pg/05050/460149.stm

Oh and I'll make it a consensus I also would not pay $70 to see the Bruins . . . who would want to watch those bums anyways :P

GO PENS!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!! GO PREDS! :D

what happens if as some have guessed the NHL comes back but only with 15 or 20 franchises? It will be interesting to see which ones are folded and why, the discussions today don't reflect that but some have said thats the writing on the wall. :(

Rock solid franchises:

Montreal, Detroit, Toronto, Rangers, Chicago, Bruins, Flyers (big markets, established teams), Colorado(?)

----------------------------------------------------------

Strong:

Calgary (sucessful franchise, fans) Pittsburg (owner, fans), L.A.(big market), Islanders (same), Devils (good team, big market), Edmonton (greatest team ever in 1980's?, a survivor)Washington, Saint Louis, Buffalo(?), Ottawa, Coyotes (despite being in AZ)

Teams on the fence

Atlanta, Nashville,(sorry satalac, it depends on the fans) Tampa(despite being champion), Dallas (salary cap will destroy on-ice product), Ducks(disney money but may fold anyway)

Teams in trouble

Carolina (poor unloved Whalers :( ), Panthers (hockey in Miami?), Sharks, Blue Jackets, Minnesota

Teams in trouble

Carolina (poor unloved Whalers :( ), Panthers (hockey in Miami?), Sharks, Blue Jackets, Minnesota

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You obviously don't have any idea what you're talking about. Minnesota is one of the most financially stable teams in the NHL. As a matter of fact, the team ranks second behind Toronto in operating income. Toronto had an operating income of $14.1 million and Minnesota made $11.5 million.

Other Minnesota Facts:

The Wild has sold out every game since its start in the league during the 2000-01 season.

The team has the highest season ticket retention rate in the NHL.

There is a 16,000-plus season-ticket base with a waiting list of more than 2,000 for the 18,000-plus Xcel Energy Center.

You obviously don't have any idea what you're talking about.  Minnesota is one of the most financially stable teams in the NHL.  As a matter of fact, the team ranks second behind Toronto in operating income.  Toronto had an operating income of $14.1 million and Minnesota made $11.5 million. 

Other Minnesota Facts:

The Wild has sold out every game since its start in the league during the 2000-01 season.

The team has the highest season ticket retention rate in the NHL. 

There is a 16,000-plus season-ticket base with a waiting list of more than 2,000 for the 18,000-plus Xcel Energy Center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I may be wrong but the SJ Sharks were pretty impressive till people got sick of waiting for a winner. Minnesota recently lost one franchise when they were actually playing the game. Are the statistics mentioned a stronger indicator of the future than that?

Man, that really disappoints me. Once (if) the NHL gets started again, the Preds could easily get up their with the bigger teams. Now that we actually made it to the playoffs, many Nashvillians are starting to get into this new concept (for us, at least). Do any of you know what the plans are for next season?

I may be wrong but the SJ Sharks were pretty impressive till people got sick of waiting for a winner. Minnesota recently lost one franchise when they were actually playing the game.  Are the statistics mentioned a stronger indicator of the future than that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! You can't compare the San Jose market to the Twin Cities. Minnesota, the "State of Hockey," produces more NHL hockey players than any other state. Parents start lacing up their kids' skates shortly after they learn how to walk. Hockey is huge here, which is obvious once one notices the success of boys and girls high school hockey as well as amateur and college programs.

BTW, the Wild are drawing larger crowds than what the North Stars were. The fact is that the Wild is a very well run organization.

It's ironic punishment for the guy who owns the pizza joint across from the Fleet Center in Boston who liked to put up cute Republican signs during the Democratic National Convention. Seems his pals in big business may destroy his little business.

bad karma I guess ;)

MLL is a better product in my opinion.

http://www.majorleaguelacrosse.com/

Neither one is on par with the NHL though and both will probably look to expand towards the subelt when the time comes. Lacrosse is taking off throughout the country, from Florida to Texas to Colorado and Michigan.

I don't think the death of the NHL had anything to do with the subelt. I think they just outpriced themselves.

I don't think the death of the NHL had anything to do with the subelt.

I have to disagree a bit. If the NHL had stayed a cold weather, regional sport it wouldn't be in trouble, but it probably wouldn't be considered a major sport in the US anymore and certainly wouldn't have $2 Billion in revenues.

If ice doesn't form naturally in a locality it is hard for children to learn to skate and play hockey. Every child on my street (that I know of) can skate because the pond up the street is frozen and we have public rinks. This, I think, makes them more likely to become an NHL fan because they have a personal connection to the game. People in other parts of the country have plenty of sports to choose from so hockey is put at a terrible disadvantage. Besides that it is expensive to get ice time and the equiptment required to play.

MLL is a better product in my opinion.

http://www.majorleaguelacrosse.com/

Neither one is on par with the NHL though and both will probably look to expand towards the subelt when the time comes.  Lacrosse is taking off throughout the country, from Florida to Texas to Colorado and Michigan.

I don't think the death of the NHL had anything to do with the subelt.  I think they just outpriced themselves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be honest, I am not too familiar with lacrosse. I saw the NLL All-Star game on NBC this past weekend. Lacrosse is likely never going to be as popular as hockey, but it definitely is an up and coming sport. It may be something to keep an eye on in the sports landscape especially for investors.

A shift to the Sunbelt may not be entirely to blame for the demise of the NHL, but it definitely played a major role. Hockey has basically gotten away from its core fans. History, heritage, etc. was thrown out the window for quick $$$ (expansion fees and TV revenues) with new and relocated teams to the Sunbelt. Overexpansion diluted the level of play; people in the Sunbelt do not live and die with their hockey -- more of a novelty that has definitely faded. Hockey needs to get back to its roots.

Archived