nhl is dead

satalac

I have to disagree a bit. If the NHL had stayed a cold weather, regional sport it wouldn't be in trouble, but it probably wouldn't be considered a major sport in the US anymore and certainly wouldn't have $2 Billion in revenues.

If ice doesn't form naturally in a locality it is hard for children to learn to skate and play hockey. Every child on my street (that I know of) can skate because the pond up the street is frozen and we have public rinks. This, I think, makes them more likely to become an NHL fan because they have a personal connection to the game. People in other parts of the country have plenty of sports to choose from so hockey is put at a terrible disadvantage. Besides that it is expensive to get ice time and the equiptment required to play.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

actually when nashville got a team, more kids started playing. more ice rinks were built (indoors of course :P ) and little league and high school hockey has taken off. by moving to the south, i think the nhl was expanding their core fan base. it won't happen instantly, especially if they keep striking, but i do see moving into the sunbelt as a good thing for the nhl. hell, a team in florida, FLORIDA!!!!, has even won the stanley cup.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

more then anything it was the rapid inflation of players contracts in the 90s (starting some claim in the Mellon Arena with deals to give Super Mario the richest contract in the league each and every year and then the huge cash phenom-went-bust Jagr got and then the salary creep started).

I feel the expansion in the south overall was good but it was the effect of having the "trap" teams dominate because of the diluted talent and the reluctance of the league to open the game up more that killed it for tv contracts.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Even though there's a new CBA, the lockout's end will be official once the NHL and the NHLPA have ratified it, which should be very quickly. It will be a very long process to restore the game, but I'm glad to see it coming back.

I can't wait to see my Penguins and Sabres back in action (in addition to the Hurricanes, Predators, and Thrashers).

I'm so glad the Preds are getting back on the ice. I promise to attend way more games now than I have in the past. Also, check the NHL store online for team gear. I lot of stuff is marked down. Get your predators hats and jerseys now before they go up in price.

It was great to see the Predators make the playoffs before the lockout.  How is their talent for the upcoming year?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh i agree, the city actually felt like it was behind the team 100% then. the talent is going to be about the same with some fresh faces coming up too. that's a good thing i believe. if they can continue to play like they had last year, i'll be very happy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^^ Yeah I heard that, in some ways this is good because the NHL is now the premier event on a network, and OLN has promised to really up the money they throw into NHL production, whereas ESPN it was "just another event". I though would prefer the ESPN coverage, after browsing some Penguins boards the feeling was mixed, yes its great to have the NHL get the attention and special treatment it might deserve being the "king" of a network, but there are parts of Pittsburgh that don't even get comcast, as well as other parts of the nation that will bascially go "hockey dark". This might boost OLN though to a bigger status and more cable companies might pick it up.

Archived