Hopes and dreams for the 195 land

Cotuit

We're still about 5 or 6 years away from seeing anything built on the land that is now below 195, but developers are already lining up to get some. Brown and J&W both have their eyes on land, some will be set aside for parks. What would you like to see done with it?

If you haven't already, check out the Urban Design Plan on the Jewelry District's website for some idea of some people's designs for the land.

• 2 months later...

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Silly me, I was looking for what people hoped might happen years from now, and a week later we had all those crazy announcements!

Well, now that we've all had time to settle down a bit... Anyone care to speculate about the future of the 195 land. Let's hear what you'd like to see, from the probable to the pipe dream, you design Providence's next frontier.

Silly me, I was looking for what people hoped might happen years from now, and a week later we had all those crazy announcements!

Well, now that we've all had time to settle down a bit... Anyone care to speculate about the future of the 195 land. Let's hear what you'd like to see, from the probable to the pipe dream, you design Providence's next frontier.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm hoping JWU moves their harborside campus to the new land that will be opening. They have publicy made the statement that they will own Weybosset St, but I notice their expansion in the harbor district.

I'm hoping JWU moves their harborside campus to the new land that will be opening. They have publicy made the statement that they will own Weybosset St, but I notice their expansion in the harbor district.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I've heard, they have some pretty ambitious plans for the Harborside Campus, mainly focused around athletic facilities. But they have staked a claim to a sizable parcel under 195 near the current 95/195 interchange, so they are certainly looking to expand downcity. I would imagine they are looking to close their dorm on Dean Street and consolidate their housing Downcity.

everyone is complaining about the shortage of low cost housing..... lers create a low cost housing neighborhood therre :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Obviously there is nothing there now, and the Jewelry District is very sparsely built. That leaves me wanting to see creative buildings that part with Providence tradition (i.e. clones of 19th century brick buildings). It would be interesting to see what creative architects could come up with for affordable, environmentally friendly, and architecturally intriguing housing in the area.

They might want to look into building a bridge across the river since there is no crossing between Point St Bridge by Wickenden & Crawford Bridge in downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just playing a little devil's advocate here...

I have always agreed with your point. The thought of the freeway moving still gives me butterflies of joy. One day a friend and I took a walk around that very section of the river. One thing that sooths the sole about that area is the expansive stretch of peacful river surrounded by the hubub of the city. It is possible (though, I admit not likely) that if a bridge was built in the middle stretch there, it could lesson that impact. So now I'm tossed over the whole situation. I do think a signature type bridge would be very sexy and useful. Then again, I think the point my friend made was valid. The river did calm my little demon inside for the day.

Is part of the plan for 195 to make a riverwalk all the way down to point street? I thought I had heard that somewhere. If so, it'd be nice if they used some of the land on the eastern side of the river as a multi-use path to connect to the new bike/pedestrian Washington Bridge (and therefore the East Bay bike path) and finally connect downcity to the bike path system.

I have a ?... if we keep expanding residential areas, such as the low-cost housing or even high end housing that this land may be used for and then if any colleges take some of that land, will there be any more room in the city for the business district to expand? You never know if that may need happen. I know that the chances of a huge business boom probably wont be here for another 2 to 5 years if so, but you never know how huge that area could change in providence. D

They might want to look into building a bridge across the river since there is no crossing between Point St Bridge by Wickenden & Crawford Bridge in downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as I know, that is part of the plans.

As far as I know, that is part of the plans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If there is ever a big enough business boom, the redeveloped East Providence water front is hoping to cash in.

On a sad note I think a lot of what will happen in this area will be the direct result of the LNG.

We're still about 5 or 6 years away from seeing anything built on the land that is now below 195, but developers are already lining up to get some. Brown and J&W both have their eyes on land, some will be set aside for parks. What would you like to see done with it?

If you haven't already, check out the Urban Design Plan on the Jewelry District's website for some idea of some people's designs for the land.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That website isn't very well maintained or updated.

Another architecture firm, RISD teacher Colgate Searle put together another plan for the reuse of the 195 bridge as a walkway/greenway with new developments on either side. Unfortunately, the city already had some plans and didn't listen to anyone else's ideas. He is still trying to be heard, though, and I think his idea's a pretty good. I'll try to find the other info I had on it, but for now, here are some photos of his model: http://www.artinruins.com/about/transformation/195.html

There was something similar to that shown at the AS220 Gallery at Union Station last year. It would have made a linear park out of the existing 195 structure. It was interesting, but I like the fac tthat the structure is coming down, and it has to come down because it is really too far gone to save.

This looks like new construction along the footprint and doesn't keep the elevated divide all the way through, I like it. I like the idea of having a sort of ghost of the highway's footprint left behind, while still allowing the old street grid to reconnect itself. The city's plan totally obliterates the old footprint, which has it's own merits.

One thought I had was to have glassy buildings in a strip where the highway was. The buildings would be lit from within at night, or have some other form of exterior lighting to create a river of light where the highway used to be.

Archived