Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cotuit

YMCA on the Greenway

Cotuit    0

Childs Bertman Tseckares Designs the YMCA of Greater Boston

December 2004

YMCA001.jpg

YMCA002.jpg

YMCA003.jpg

YMCA004.jpg

Boston, MA - Childs Bertman Tseckares, Inc. (CBT) has been chosen as the architect for the first of the larger buildings to overlook the Rose Kennedy Greenway. Awarded by competition to the YMCA, the development of the site as a cultural and recreational facility was determined through a planning process involving community groups, the Boston Redevelopment Authority, and the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority.

CBTrendering2.JPG (195031 bytes)The YMCA of Greater Boston has selected Tishman Construction Corporation of Massachusetts (TCCMA) to provide project management services for the construction of a new signature YMCA. The 125,000 sf facility will be built on Parcel 6 directly over an exit ramp to the Central Artery, the YMCA will be the first sites to be developed when the highway through downtown Boston is put underground and the liberated property is transformed into the Rose Kennedy Greenway.

The five-story YMCA will be located at North Washington, New Sudbury, and New Chardon Streets and will serve the North End, Bullfinch Triangle, West End, Beacon Hill, Wharf District, Downtown Boston, South Boston and Charlestown.

Containing 80,000 sf of space for the YMCA and 40,000 sf of space for the YMCA's strategic partners, the building, in keeping with the YMCA

Steve-O    0

I think is a really bad idea. Are there no other spots downtown to put a YMCA. Why does it have to be right on the Greenway? The building looks like a piece of crap too.

Cotuit    0

:lol: How do you really feel? :lol:

I agree I guess. I don't hate the building, but it belongs in Allston or Hyde Park or out in the leafier parts of the city. Look at the YWCA in the South End across from the Hancock. That's a solid 13 story structure. Why does this have to be this long flat beached whale? I understand constraints about building above the tunnels, but the Y located somewhere else could be taller, and we could see something more suited to being low slung (like the Boston Musuem) at this spot.

Steve-O    0

"The site is adjacent to a neighborhood surrounded by busy restaurants having heavy pedestrian traffic..."

So this design makes sense... :rolleyes:

YMCA004.jpg

"...the open and forward-looking design will mediate between the different character of these two neighborhoods, the residential, 19th-century brick buildings of the North End and the larger commercial and civic buildings at the edge of the financial district..."

I guess they mean it will also be a physical median. :thumbsup:

YMCA002.jpg

Ron Newman    0

I'd say this building is at the end of the Greenway, rather than "on" it. Everything north of it, from here to Causeway Street, is going to be commercially developed as part of the Bulfinch Triangle.

The Boston Museum is slated for another ramp parcel, on the opposite side of the North End parks.