Rosewood Hills/Hendley Homes Redevelopment

emerging.me

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice looking drawings.

Not being form this area originally is CHA's focus on providing low income housing or housing in general? The picture shown here seem to indicate some fairly large homes and then some townhouses. Not quite what I pciture as low income.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Columbia Housing Authority (CHA) focus is to provide affordable housing for low to moderate income people. The new homes being built around the new Drew Park development are also very nice. It's very pleasing to see lower income developments that are pleasing to the eye. Just because one is of lower income does not mean that one must live in a dump. I may go out soon and take pictures of the Drew Park area development; it is very nice and is replacing what was an ugly project.

Update- I saw on WIS that there will be 187 new units at this site, most will be geard towards lower income families owning the homes. They feel that home ownership will encourage upkeep of the properties. They also mentioned that this development will include some retail shops with apartments above them, and they hinted to other mixed use structures.

Groundbreaking tomorrow @ 11am. They said there will be more info then.

From WIS:

"The new neighborhood will have 187 housing units, including 55 single family homes, 52 senior apartment, 32 townhomes and 22 duplexes plus apartments over retail shops among greenways and park areas.

Ground was broken Tuesday in a ceremony themed "Hope Blossoms at Rosewood Hills." Work is expected to be complete in 2007."

Groundbreaking Tues. on Rosewood Hills development

I saw the article in today's The State paper. They are really emphasizing how breathing new life into Rosewood can help spruce up that part of Cola. It will take a few years, but eventually that area could bring a population that will spruce up other areas around Williams-Brice. A new storage building was built near there, but additional people may bring other renovations such as getting a better hotel built right there at the intersection of Rosewood and Assembly.

I couldn't find that article, but I agree. The other end of Rosewood has come along in the past 3 years. There are many new and nice looking stores and shops, but if you are driving along you can really see where it just stops, and it becomes dilapidated. I agree that these new homes will definately spur some commercial growth in that area. Maybe some more residential too.

• 9 months later...

FYI... in case anyone hasn't noticed, construction has begun on the Rosewood Hills neighborhood. Mainly just moving dirt at this point, but it's great to see that project getting a move on! The final product will be an excellent mixed-income, mixed-use neighborhood.

Here's the breakdown, from a press release I had on file:

The unit mix for Rosewood Hills was also designed based on community input, as well as a market study of the area, and will include 55 Single family homes, 32 Town homes, 52 Senior apartments, 26 Apartments over retail shops, and 22 Duplex units for a total of 187 units.

This diverse housing mix, which is centered on an interconnected system of parks and greenways, will feature housing options for families of all income levels. Of the 187 units to be constructed, 66 will be assisted rental units, 30 will be affordable rental units, 37 will be affordable homeownership units, and 54 will be market rate homes and apartments. The redevelopment plan for Rosewood Hills also calls for $4.5 million in public improvements including new streets and streetscapes and 6,500 square feet of supportive neighborhood retail services

Nice looking drawings.

Not being form this area originally is CHA's focus on providing low income housing or housing in general? The picture shown here seem to indicate some fairly large homes and then some townhouses. Not quite what I pciture as low income.

Columbia's focus in on providing housing developments with vaying price points, some for low-income residents, without it being so obvious as to whose house is whose among the low-income and affluent.

• 3 months later...

I see they are ready to start building!!! Looks as if there finish leveling the ground. The infill can begin

They are indeed. I spoke with someone about this recently and drove down to look at the site on Saturday. There was a lengthy delay when crews learned that a major data line running from Florida to Maine was located directly below the project.

It's going to be impressive around there before long. Views will be tremendous if it is built-out properly. I know that Mungo is building a number of the homes and is planning to build some of the traditional Charleston-inspired plans (budget but still a nice idea) that they have built in some neighborhoods here -- with upstairs and downstairs front porches. They're also going to have garages in the back! Which is a major thing -- for me, anyway. Traditional neighborhood developments with front/side garages are half-azzed. :) This way it preserves a bit of character and creates a pedestrian orientation for the neighborhood.

Ugh...Mungo? I can't get excited about anything they build.

I know what you mean... the evil empire, right?? :) But I think it'll still be a nice neighborhood from what I've seen. And they aren't the only builder. I also think it's a major step forward for them since they're actually showing they can adapt to TND guidelines (garages in the back, etc.).

Yes, Mungo is not the best company. Their construction ethics seem very questionable and their products seem flat out cheap.

And generic. Their main cash cow is generic cookie cutter homes. They clearcut forests and build subdivisions where they don't need to go.

Archived