Rosewood Hills/Hendley Homes Redevelopment

emerging.me

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously, I hate the clear-cutting. It is possible to build homes without destroying all of the trees.

I am not defending Mungo by any stretch... but they did do a nice job in preserving the natural landscape in/around the Waterfall neighborhood off of I-26 at the Peak exit. However, this was only after intense pressure from area residents.

Seriously, I hate the clear-cutting. It is possible to build homes without destroying all of the trees.

YES! And it is/will become a much more common practice in the near future. LEED or Green Development is taking off at an incredible rate, and one way to gain points toward LEED certification is to limit your site grubbing and clearing. I believe you could see great tax credits and possibly laws regulating such items in the future. Trees, esp. old ones, also add great value to homesites. Low Impact Development (LID) is also gaining popularity. Although it deals mostly with stormwater runoff and quantity (flooding and sediment and erosion control), a very common LID practice is to maintain existing site conditions.

This is a topic of great intrest for me, and I hope to become more invovle with it soon!

I rode by the Rosewood site today, and there were a few surveying crews working, and a BellSouth guy working. So I'm expecting construction to start soon. Also, there's a sign across the street that says "Stadium View Condos coming Fall 2006". This was the first I heard of a condo development down there.

I rode by the Rosewood site today, and there were a few surveying crews working, and a BellSouth guy working. So I'm expecting construction to start soon. Also, there's a sign across the street that says "Stadium View Condos coming Fall 2006". This was the first I heard of a condo development down there.

I haven't heard that either. Are you talking about the area on the other side of Rosewood Drive or one of the side streets? I did see a lot for sale on one of the side streets that said "stadium view", but it wasn't announcing a new development.

I haven't heard that either. Are you talking about the area on the other side of Rosewood Drive or one of the side streets? I did see a lot for sale on one of the side streets that said "stadium view", but it wasn't announcing a new development.

The condo sign was on the same side of Rosewood...across Superior Street towards Williams Brice.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got a notice about this. It's finally moving forward and all issues will BellSouth have been resolved. A demolition contractor is supposedly on site now removing the streets and the grading contractor will be on site when demolition is complete. The CHA is tweaking the schedule and re-visiting the pricing of the homes in light of increased site costs and new city water and sewer tap fees. They are expected to start preselling in about 30 days. Home construction is set for an October start.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone has any info on the Rosewood Hills/Hendley Homes Redevelopment??? I haven't traveled down Rosewood in a while has this project started????

A couple of months ago I read a quote by someone in the paper that they were looking at November for the start date.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I really hope Columbia Housing Authority will be highly selective of the residents they allow to live here being that 66 of the 192 units will be for assisted rental units. This leads me to believe that several people who "take advantage of the system" will be vying for those affordable units. All of this could result in crime and an area that becomes overun and dilapidated in 20 years.

I really hope Columbia Housing Authority will be highly selective of the residents they allow to live here being that 66 of the 192 units will be for assisted rental units. This leads me to believe that several people who "take advantage of the system" will be vying for those affordable units. All of this could result in crime and an area that becomes overun and dilapidated in 20 years.

You underestimate the demands the Columbia Housing Authority places on its residents. No public housing buildings in Columbia have been demolished because of anything the residents did to them. It was age and inefficiency that finally did them in.

If the Celia Saxon development is any indication, then I don't think there's much to worry about.

Also, I think what you speak of is much less likely to happen in mixed-income developments such as this. Those who are paying market rate for their homes have much more of a stake in their investment and I would hope they wouldn't allow their community to be overrun in such a fashion.

• 8 months later...

I believe there's some sort of open house/grand opening shindig this Tuesday the 22nd in the afternoon/evening -- it's at one of the model homes. I got a postcard in the mail, but I can't find it now. Also, Gary Realty is now reppin' the development. Prices for those homes you see pictured above are around $205K. They're 1600-ish square foot, 3br 2.5 ba, hardiplank, with a screened porch and attached rear one-car garage... I would've loved to see them come in around $185K. But I think they will probably sell near the listing price considering the location. If you lucked out and got a lot with unobscured views (after it's all built out) it would be tremendous.

Archived