IN PROGRESS: 333 Atwells Avenue (Rialto Furniture)

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

I'm surprised nothing has been posted on this project in over 4 months - the exterior looks nearly finished! I got a good view of the back of the complex driving south on rt 10, though I couldn't stop to take any pictures. Maybe a representative from the Federall Hill neighborhood can help out in this regard?

I'm surprised nothing has been posted on this project in over 4 months - the exterior looks nearly finished! I got a good view of the back of the complex driving south on rt 10, though I couldn't stop to take any pictures. Maybe a representative from the Federall Hill neighborhood can help out in this regard?

Okay, my partner and I bought one of the units. We're in the process of picking out all of our fixtures and whatnot. It's very exciting. I've never built a place from scratch. I hate to leave downtown, but we need the extra space (bedroom) and he is determined to live on the Hill.

For those who were wondering, Walgreens has a 25 year lease with a 50 year option. They'll be there for a while.

For my fellow UPers living on the Hill, got any pointers?

shaw's also had a 25 year lease. :whistling:

pointers... resisting the aromas floating into your window is difficult, and i live a block from atwells. the hill isn't bad, and you're still within walking distance of downtown (and everyday except sunday and holidays, you got 2 bus options going downtown with the 26 and the trolley, the 26 doesn't run on sundays or holidays).

Congrats, I missed the open house due to some annoying bullsh!t I had to deal with that day. I'd trade Hill pointers for an invite to your housewarming. :whistling:

And I can't wait for Walgreens to open, I'm sick to death of the skanky K. Plaza CVS and I hate traveling all the way to the 3rd floor of the mall for the other one (it really takes a long time to get to the 3rd floor of the mall).

yeah... you know there'll probably be a cvs on broadway or westminster within a year (or at least they'll try for it). i cannot wait for this walgreens to open. forget the pharmacy (i haven't gone to a doctor in years, so i have no prescriptions anyway), i want it for their grocery section. they're also usually cheaper than cvs on most items, which is why i'm glad it's walgreens and not cvs.

yeah... you know there'll probably be a cvs on broadway or westminster within a year (or at least they'll try for it). i cannot wait for this walgreens to open. forget the pharmacy (i haven't gone to a doctor in years, so i have no prescriptions anyway), i want it for their grocery section. they're also usually cheaper than cvs on most items, which is why i'm glad it's walgreens and not cvs.

• 1 month later...

PROJO: "Walgreens to open store under condos"

"Walgreens drugstores and the Cathedral Development Group Inc. will open tomorrow a new 16,000-square-foot pharmacy at 333 Atwells Ave. in Providence. The store will be the first Walgreens in Rhode Island to be sited under condominiums, a concept often found in other urban areas. About 25 percent of the condos at the Federal Hill location have been sold. Cathedral Development and its affiliates own and/or manage more than 3,000 apartments in Rhode Island and throughout the country."

• 1 month later...
Yawn.

Everything is about tactics when it comes to the fudgeing WBNA, isn't it? No project too big to criticize, no project too small to criticize, nothing good to say about anything ever. No good deed goes unpunished, as they say. Even in complimenting 333 Atwells, they find a way to backhand VDT.

And in the process, swing & miss as usual.

333 Atwells works, not because of its floor count, but because it integrates with the neighborhood. VDT will be a dismal urban failure, not because of a floor count, but because (as currently planned) it isolates itself from its own neighborhood. The issue is urban design, not height, and all the WBNA is accomplishing, in critiquing VDT for nothing but its height, is obscuring the real problems with the development -- in essence, giving Zammiello the smokescreen he needs. He'll compromise somewhat on height, ultimately, but the auto-centric standoffish design will remain, and The Hill will only be the worse off for the WBNA's misguided efforts.

How's that for a prediction?

But leave it to the WBNA to deal in propaganda and leave the real issues with VDT unaddressed. It's all politics, though, and to get the broad support base they need, I guess they have to appeal to the lowest common denominator, just like any good politician: that's how they got where they are in the first place.

But that doesn't mean that they can't talk about other issues (maybe even real issues) in their public releases. But they don't, and therein lies my problem with them. It's their public statements that really rile me because it's their public statements that always smack of rabble-rousing and fear-mongering.

It has been my experience, especially here on this board, that the more people get actually involved in some of these projects, and by involved I mean showing up to hearings, the more they understand, even if they still don't agree with, the positions of some of the non profits and community groups. I absolutely do not mean to "diss" on the armchair planners who often have some really neat ideas about stuff in PVD, but if one is going to constantly talk crap about the groups actually doing the work (whether you agree with it or not) then one should pony up to the podium and put yer money where your mouth is.

Archived