Concerned about Charleston's northern neighbor

Charleston native

while it is true that N.Chucks annexation days may be limited, the largest undeveloped block of land currently within munipal limits is in N. Chuck. That would be the very area where Daiimler Plant is. That industrial park is about 2400 acres, but beyond that there is undeveloped land from Ladson Rd back to Ashley Phosphate and from I-26/Hwy 78 over to Dorchester road (well over to Wescott and Coosaw Creek). A new connector road (from Ashley Phosphate to Ladson Rd) is in design as part of the 1/2 cent (Chas)/1 cent (Dorch) sales tax for transportation. There are thousands of acres in this blcok of land that will be ripe for developement.

Now...all that being said, I still don't think N. Chuck will catch Charleston in population, because I think Charelston will snatch up Johns Island quicker than you can say tomato farm

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...As for your original premise, I disagree. You can't fault Summey or any mayor from trying to make the most of their city. The annexations into far-flung, un-aligned areas is not desireable. Fortunately, North Chas. will be barred from further annexation into Berkeley County. It remains to be seen that Watson Hill will be part of North Chas. either.

As for the industrial announcements going to North Chas, that is only to be expected. The vast majority of the large industrial tracts throughout the Trident are outside of Charleston proper. If they don't go to North Chas. they would go even further outward into Dorchester or Berkeley Counties. How would that benefit the City of Charleston?...

Well, I understand that he wants to make the most of his city, but I believe he's doing it in the wrong ways. His city should really be primarily residential, as most suburbs are, not heavy commercial and business. The Chas Business Journal reported that the north city is one of the locations for the greatest amount of available office space, and it will eventually surpass the metro area for owning retail space, if it hasn't already. Summey is, IMO, tremendously going out of his way to expand his city when he should concentrate on the problem areas where people live. I mentioned this earlier, the SC World Trade Center is being built just down the street from the coliseum after being headquarted DT, where trade in the Carolinas first began! You might as well start the paperwork for the county seat to be moved to the north city, because that's all Chas has left in terms of political locality.

As far as industrial developments, I do understand that the north city would get most of those tracts, considering that before the area incorporated, the north area was primarily industrial, and still is. However, why didn't any community leaders try to get more industry built on the Cainhoy peninsula, in the city of Charleston? There are several plants located there now, and there is a vast amount of land for more to be built.

Archived