Nashville is #43

Houston is #55

Raliegh is #56

San Diego is #57

Cleveland is #59

Charlotte is #66

Providence is #129

Boston is #133

all are according to the North American Vexillological Association!

boy am I nerdy tnite ;)

how does your city rank? You think these are a legit way to judge what a city represents on its flag?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I wonder how many of these are really displayed . . . I know in Pittsburgh and in DC and Chicago . . . NYC to a lesser extent they are almost as numerous as American flags or state flags in those cities.

Orlando and Cleveland I really haven't seen outside of the Mayors office or when they are speaking on TV. Then again there might be a reason some cities don't show them too much in public :P

Phoenix, Indianapolis and Denver have the best flags IMO. You'll notice that the best flags have the least detail. I don't like flags that only consist of the city seal. Pr state flags for that matter. The only one of these I recognized was DC, but that flag is also shown as a state flag.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting thread.

Miami ranked #70 in this survey, top of the bottom half :)... From a distance it look like India's national flag to me. I've see the city flag on government buildings and in some prominent areas (like Bayside Marketplace). I believe the orange color represents the orange blossom. NAVA ranks flags as "bad flags" when they incorporate complex seals.

Miami-Dade County's flag is loosely based on the design of the Florida state flag, with the official colors, blue and green, striped diagonally and the county seal in the center. The blue represents the water and sky, and the green is for our tropical foliage. The county flag is pretty rare; I've only seen it hanging in the lobby of the county government center and in the courthouses. It also stands beside the Florida state flag when used in the Commission chamber and whenever the County Mayor makes a speech. The county brandmark or logo is everywhere and the blue hook is a familiar symbol has been with us for more than 25 years (only the older logos created before 1997 say "METRO-DADE").

miamiflag3ge.jpgmiamiseal5nk.jpgmiamidadeflag29rz.jpgmiamidadecountylogo23mx.jpgmiamidadecountyseal24ss.jpg

• 2 months later...

I liked the flags of Louisville, Corpus Christi, Richmond, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Nashville, Columbia, Boise, Atlanta, and Kansas City.

Those Arlington and Plano flags look like cheesy airline logos.

St. Petersburg's flag looks like the logo for the GLBT Ornithological Association.

Bismarck's flag look like a leftover logo for a cheap brand of cigarettes.

If I didn't know Mesa was a city, from looking at the flag I'd think it was a hotel company.

Detriot's flag is a visual cacophony.

For Pocatello, I don't think they could decide on any one design, so they just combined elements of all the designs that were submitted; the multiple fonts gave that away.

New favorite flag: Provo, UT. I wonder how many tax dollars were spent on designing that?

I read their standards for what makes a good flag and what makes a bad flag, and here's what I came out of it with: Flags should be remarkably simple and contain three colors and no writing.

So if we put three crayons in a classroom full of third graders (who can't read or write) and a stack of legal sized paper and locked the door, eight hours later somewhere in that room the greatest flag ever will have been created.

One last thing, don't you think Montpelier's flag was created by the guys who do South Park?

So if we put three crayons in a classroom full of third graders (who can't read or write) and a stack of legal sized paper and locked the door, eight hours later somewhere in that room the greatest flag ever will have been created.

:rofl: ......Something about that is just funny, but probably sadly true.

Archived