Flint area development website

dnast

In my quest to learn more about web programming I made a site a while ago that made it easy to track and classify developments for the downtown Flint area. I ended up formatting and eventually getting a new harddrive, but I'd redo the site and include the whole county if any of you guys were interesting in keeping the content up to date.

It would probably take months to get a significant number of hits, but at the very least it would make it easier for us to keep track of things going on and we'd probably find more people interested in the resurgence of downtown Flint, and it could possibly be fun. It would take me a little while to redo some of my code, but I could eventually give you guys admin accounts so we all can keep the site updated and accurate.

Also, if anyone is good in graphic/web design, it would be a real plus. I'm pretty good in doing the underlying code (XHTML, CSS, PHP), but only so-so when it comes to graphics and design. I've been thinking about doing this for a while, and since I have some money now, I wouldn't mind getting a host and expanding this idea.

I'll save my other ideas until I get some replies. I know this isn't for everyone, and it'll take a lot of initial work to get everything how it should be.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's only on my computer at the moment. That's why it says "localhost" instead of something.com. I can host it on the internet from my PC, but I'd have to change some things because right now anybody could just visit my site and change things. I didn't bother putting in a login script when I was the only one using it. :unsure:

I'll try to make some changes so I can safely put that site on the 'net. I may take a day or so (or not). :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working on the site for the past week or so (since I didn't have broadband for a while and that was the only site I could look at). I made a few minor changes to the design, and finally figured out what exactly I wanted on the site. I also made a login system and everything.

The bad part is that I was switching to SBC DSL because I got tired of paying so much for Comcast, and it looks like they don't allow website hosting. I might be able to bypass it somehow, though.

Anyway, when I get it figured out it wouldn't take a lot of work for whoever wants to help out. It wouldn't be much more than adding a link to a news story and writing a two-sentence summary, or adding an event to the calendar, etc. And everything is automatically added to the website by using forms, so no need to know HTML.

I'm not sure, but there might be a rule (unspoken, possibly?) against advertising other forums. Besides, from what I've seen there's not enough urban enthusiasts from the area online to support another forum just yet.

Although, the idea is nice.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, guys. I've been working on a lot of the underlying parts of my site for a while. I have a few people helping out, but I could really use some more help beta testing the site (even from you lurkers on this forum ;))

I want to deploy the Photos and Development sections of the site soon (I know I've been focusing too much on the Business section, but the Devlopement section will share some of its functionality), but I have been working on my comments and business photos system and also making the site more secure and easier to administer.

Here's what I need right now:

1) Critiques on the design: If you go to the Links section, you'll see what's close to what I think I want the site to look like. I really want some feedback on this. Be completely honest.

2) Testing the business comments system: This is two-tiered. I'll need people to send random comments (they don't have to make sense) and ratings just so I can make sure everything is working and see what I have to fix. Also, I'll need a couple people to use a moderator account and see what needs to be improved for moderators.

3) Testing and using the Links page: The links page allows people to send in their own downtown-related links. I haven't had a chance to do much testing on it plus I could use a lot more links from anybody who has them. Suggestions on improving the design and underlying system are welcome.

4) Business photos: I need moderators to test this for me. As far as I can tell, whenever somebody uploads a photo for a business, it should be attached to a business and have a thumbnail automatically created for them. I can be too systemic when doing things like this, so maybe somebody that gets a moderator account can assure me there aren't any problems. I could also use suggestions on how to improve it.

I'm sure there's more that I didn't think of, but these are the main areas I need help in. Even taking only 10 minutes of your time to post random comments would be very helpful. If I know you from this forum or another, shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] or send me a private message on this message board and I will gladly create you a moderator account. If I don't know you, you can still just mess around with the site for a few minutes and hopefully give me a little feedback at the above address (I'll add a form for posting comments and suggestions for the site soon if you're not comfortable with that). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

And if you read this whole post - congratulations! I have plently of spare Monopoly money to send your way!

If anybody missed it, the address is http://dtflint.ws4f.us and it will be a non-commercial site. I'll probably add Google Ads or some other non-obtrusive ads when it goes live and I have to start paying for it, but that's about it. My main goal is to inform people on the direction downtown is heading and provide a place for its enthusiasts to show off downtown and help it build momentum to becoming a usable, living, and thriving downtown.

Thanks for reading,

dnast

• 2 weeks later...

I've been pretty busy, but I'm still working on it. Some of the things I've been working on you can't see because it's not live yet (still some bugs to work out) and there's also work being done on the administration/moderator side of things. In fact, last night I got some work done on the photo gallery system (can't be seen yet except for 1 graphic).

As far as finishing the site, it won't be truly finished for a long time since I plan on adding a lot more to the site. That being said, I do plan on having a "final" version of the site when I finish the photo gallery and possibly the development sections. The rest can be added later.

Archived