• Announcements

• Neo

WARNING!   07/26/16

By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DigitalSky

Arboretum Wal-Mart gets Overhaul

DigitalSky    5

Inside Charlotte's First Wal-Mart store (i think it's the first b/c it opened in '89) many changes are coming including upgrades to the check out lines/new colors all around the store, changes of the isles, a new pharmacy section... I don't know when it is gonna be finished - i was just there tonight and saw all this.

DigitalSky    5

It is quite possibly the worst run store I have ever been in, and I know its being redone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it may be the worst run store you've been in, but of all the Wal-Mart's i've been to, I'd have to say it's the best ran Wal-Mart store.

DigitalSky    5

I stumbled upon something very interesting recently.. Did you know when the Arboretum was planned the Wal-Mart space was originally courted to be a Lord & Taylor, but it didn't work out with them. Now this is when Wal-Mart was still in their earlier stages before becoming the behometh they've become today (still growing as "discount city"), but interesting nonetheless (also predicted to be the #1 wal-mart in the nation at the time)

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_..._v28/ai_7906519

Justadude    1

I recall the Arboretum being promised as an "upscale" shopping center back in the day. It was promised that no low-quality stores would be allowed there. Of course, once construction was underway the neighbors didn't have as much leverage against the developers as they did when it was in the planning stage. Out goes L&T, in comes Wal-Mart.

I try to keep this in mind when they announce new "upscale" developments. Project Northlake a couple decades into the future... you get my drift.

StevenRocks    0

Interesting article. I never knew such a place as a Wal-Mart 'vendor store' existed. I also never knew Lord & Taylor had so many designs on the Charlotte market, considering they never opened a store here.

Pantherhead    0

The Arboretum was originally going to be a mall to rival Southpark, but the folks of Raintree got all worked up over it and settled for the mess we all know as the Arboretum.