Arboretum Wal-Mart gets Overhaul

DigitalSky

Inside Charlotte's First Wal-Mart store (i think it's the first b/c it opened in '89) many changes are coming including upgrades to the check out lines/new colors all around the store, changes of the isles, a new pharmacy section... I don't know when it is gonna be finished - i was just there tonight and saw all this.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I stumbled upon something very interesting recently.. Did you know when the Arboretum was planned the Wal-Mart space was originally courted to be a Lord & Taylor, but it didn't work out with them. Now this is when Wal-Mart was still in their earlier stages before becoming the behometh they've become today (still growing as "discount city"), but interesting nonetheless (also predicted to be the #1 wal-mart in the nation at the time)

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_..._v28/ai_7906519

I recall the Arboretum being promised as an "upscale" shopping center back in the day. It was promised that no low-quality stores would be allowed there. Of course, once construction was underway the neighbors didn't have as much leverage against the developers as they did when it was in the planning stage. Out goes L&T, in comes Wal-Mart.

I try to keep this in mind when they announce new "upscale" developments. Project Northlake a couple decades into the future... you get my drift.

Archived