Statler Hotel Demolition Progress

Allan

The Lee Plaza situation is rather unique. Architecture elements like that command very high prices, so I can see why they did it. They did get most of the elements back, but many are still missing, which will only make renovation less likely because of the additional costs associated with replicating the details.

I have heard of people stealing bricks off abandoned houses in the city so that they can build an addition or make repairs and still have it blend in well. In fact, several scavengers were out picking up bricks when I went to photograph the Scovel Presbyterian Church shortly after the fire.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't they get the ornaments back from that Chicago development?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

42 lion's heads and 5 gargoyles were stolen from the building. To my knowledge, the FBI has recovered 24 lion's heads and 4 gargoyles, which are sitting in a DPD lockup where they can't be stolen again. 30 lions and one gargoyle remain missing. I believe the six lions used in the Chicago development are still there, but I'm not sure. It's been a couple of years since I've heard anything.

My condolences for the warm welcome!! I hear from SNWEB.org that this building will be a meer pile of once urban glory. Is this true? I was going to make my way to see it once more in its sound state in may, but i guess that is not fiesible.

My condolences for the warm welcome!! I hear from SNWEB.org that this building will be a meer pile of once urban glory. Is this true? I was going to make my way to see it once more in its sound state in may, but i guess that is not fiesible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'll be able to see it in May....it's just that the whole thing won't be there. And by June, well, it will be a pile of bricks.

I was just thinking...it's too bad we can't get rooftop access to the Whitney Building. That would provide perfect views of the destruction of the GCP area. Well, actually it is possible, since I know of some people who went into the Whitney Building, but you'd get caught for sure.

Anyway, here are a few photos from Thursday, March 24.

IMG_8130.jpg

IMG_8136.jpg

IMG_8150.jpg

IMG_8161.jpg

I'm not the biggest fan of the building itself, but I just don't like that it seemed like the demolition was rushed once somebody finally made a proposal plus the fact that it wasn't approved by the city council. I think its just sad that nobody even seems to care that there was no official approval for the demo.

Sorry for asking a stupid question, I haven't been following all the discussions here. What is the plan for the space? Is there a plan? Personally I am really hoping they build a nice flat parking lot, the city could really use more of those. :wacko:

The "plan" is to knock it down so that the city will have better luck attracting a developer who will build a midrise residential building. I wouldn't be so uneasy about them tearing it down if they had a developer committed to the site, but to my knowledge, they haven't even tried to find a developer yet. Just watch...the city will find someone who wants to build crappy vinyl-sided townhouses.

The Tuller hotel sat on the site right of the Statler facing Grand Cirucs Park. It's that other big hole facing the park, that won't be redeveloped for ages.

Thanks forgottendetroit.com for the picture

tuller-3.jpg

tuller-4.jpg

The Tuller hotel was demolished in 1992. The city has no plans to redevelop the lot.

Archived