Statler Hotel Demolition Progress

Allan

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. I think I'll let them urbex that one though. I've been warned time and time again not to attempt it. The thing is a deathtrap inside. Speaking of the myspace photos, I noticed that Chad got one of me on the roof of the Broderick. I figured that was him yelling to me over on the roof of the UA, but it was hard to tell.

The center portion of the Statler is almost gone now. They've gotten a lot of it down, but there's still a lot left to take down.

The only pictures I took yesterday were from the front. It looks like that middle section in the back is almost completely gone. Other than that, the most notable parts of the building are still standing, but scarred from the scaffolding. I'll try and post another pic later tonight.

It's common that demolition companies dismantle any ornate detail work, or limestone paneling and sell it off to developers. It kind of depends on how easy it is to remove. I'm a bit concerned it won't come off the Statler very easily. At this point, I would be happy to see it removed and placed on another building in any city, as long as it is saved.

It's really interesting to see the collection of pieces saved from various demolitions. The Plant Extension at the University of Michigan has a whole bunch of columns, cornice pieces, and even a three story archway designed by Albert Kahn in storage to be used on new buildings in the future intended to look old.

Yeah, it was awful to see even the name plates above the archways of each building couldn't even be saved, despite the fact that they fell in one piece.

I don't think you can buy the pieces from the plant extension lol. Though, I think it would be cool to see them. However, since U of M has been concerned about building new structures on central campus that look old, I don't think they'll hand over the archway for even a million dollars.

EDIT: I do have a picture of the arch though, when I find it, I'll post it.

It looks like that middle section in the back is almost completely gone.

From the sound of that, it seems the building is now completly open/exposed on one side, correct? I think I may take a trip to see the interiors of the place(If it looks structuraly sound).

Okay, it wasn't as tall as I thought. I recall the front building being 3 stories, but the arch is only about 20 or so feet high. It came from Old Main Hospital The building was built in the early 1900's and vacated in the late 80's, thats a very long time for a hospital building to be in commission. When the new and much larger hospital was rebuilt behind Old Main, it sat unused while the university sought alternative uses for it. For a few years, not much worked, and in 1989, it was demolished. However, much of the detail work was removed form the building and put into storage. The site of Old Main is now occupied by the state of the art Cardiovascular Research Center.

oldmainarch.jpg

oldmainbuilding.jpg

I always wondered why Detroit Urban Living never jumped on the Statler or Madison-Lenox. Is it because they had owners?

Alan, for as much as I am downtown, I'm sure I must have run into you a few times taking pictures.

Detroit Urban Living seems to be in midtown only. Just recently they have purchased some properties in corktown to rehab. I can't believe they haven't jumped on anything downtown yet. It's not like there's any shortage of buildings to rehab!

I never urbexed the Statler, but people who have tell me that the floors were in really bad condition because of the way they were constructed. It is possible to correct, but it involves extensive work.

Michi, we probably have run into each other before. Unfortunately, now that I'm at home for the summer I only get to come to Detroit on Saturdays, although sometimes I do come down during the week if it's a nice day. If only I had found a job in Detroit I could be living in midtown now. Maybe after the next school year....

Archived