PHOTOS! Cincinnati--the Village of Elmwood Place

grasscat

The village of Elmwood Place lies in the central part of Hamilton County just west of I-75 and is completely surrounded by the city of Cincinnati. It occupies the central Mill Creek valley and was incorporated as a village in 1889. Transportation from the canal, multiple railroads, and streetcars allowed manufacturing to flourish in this area. Since the Depression, the housing stock has aged and the village has run out of room for newer housing. The business district is failing, and the continual fiscal problems faced by the village have brought up the subject of annexation to Cincinnati from time to time.

Today Elmwood Place is a lower-to-middle class village and provides an interesting study in the problems of maintaining a small, independent older village that has a low-earning residential tax base, a failing commercial base, and only a few industries.

These areas are rarely seen except by local folks who like to explore.

Visit my web page: CINCINNATI TOURS: The Village of Elmwood Place. On it you will find 100+ photos, a map, aerials, demographics and a short history of Elmwood Place, as well as explanations and locations of each photo.

If you use a 56K dialup, please be aware. Maybe open up a new page and try the link and then come back to it later. If you find it too much to take in all at once, please feel free to read only the parts that interest you-or, better yet, come back later and finish it!

I also appreciate comments. You may reach me through PM (they are always welcome-good or bad), or through this thread. I like feedback and WILL take the time to reply.

In the meantime, here are some photos from the Tour to give you some insight into the area. Hopefully it will inspire you to check out my page, and then maybe to make a road trip.

The Elmwood Place map

ELMPMAP01.jpg

elmp104101303.jpg

Highland Ave.

elmp26100703.jpg

A crumbling dump on Locust St.

elmp21100703.jpg

Linden Ave.

elmp25100703.jpg

Maple Ave.

elmp31100703.jpg

In an industrial valley, some of the creeks and ditches turn green :(

elmp102101303.jpg

St. Aloysius Roman Catholic Church, from 1918

elmp124101303.jpg

Pimpin' the "business" district...

elmp80100803.jpg

Along Vine St.

elmp97101303.jpg

elmp95101303.jpg

elmp108101303.jpg

elmp121101303.jpg

Oak St.

elmp117101303.jpg

Township Ave.

elmp132101503.jpg

Apartments at Township Ave. and Chestnut St.

elmp134101503.jpg

Boxy, ass-ugly apartments on Hasler Lane

elmp55100803.jpg

Chestnut St.

elmp73100803.jpg

Maple Ave.

elmp68100803.jpg

Walnut St.

elmp75100803.jpg

A factory along the tracks on Township Ave.

elmp138101503.jpg

Prosser Ave.

elmp84101303.jpg

A complete and total DUMP on Helen Ave.

elmp142101503.jpg

Southbound down the CSX tracks

elmp145101503.jpg

The industrial Mill Creek gets less beautiful as you go south....

elmp146101503.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, not all of Cincy is pretty. But I must admit that I learned a lot about Elmwood Place by walking the streets and talking to the people.

Also keep in mind that the village is only 0.3 sq. mi., so it's definitely very small.

Thanks for the contact, and I'm proud to bring out what's not so great about my town. But I love it just the same!

Archived