New YMCA quickly shapes up

joeDowntown

Does anyone know how the new YMCA is doing compared to expectations? Looks like originally they were guestimating an additional 7,500 new members. Having started going there myself, I've noticed that the place is packed during all but the slowest times of day. Did they plan for future expansion on the current site should membership / needs outgrow the facility? ...

When I was using the physical therapist office that's right there inside the building, she was telling me that the popularity has far exceeded expectations. One class gets held in the hallway outside the spinning zone. Another class takes over the adjacent mini-workout room. She said they are looking for ways to expand, and added that no one ever seems to use the chapel.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few months ago, my friend who works at the YMCA said that they had several membership "specials" planned for 2006, but they haven't offered many because membership grew so much on it's own.

An over abundance of interest has also plagued the new Belmont/Wolverine YMCA north of town. Not only did a small shortage in capital fund raising result in a slightly smaller bldg going up, a flood of interest has led to a very crowded facility. Furthermore, their programs like kids soccer, etc have been very woefully understaffed.

This isn't so much criticism as it is an observation on what might be trends the Y should researcm more thoroughly as they ponder future expansion efforts. Staffing levels and the quality of the customer experience are likely to have a much greater impact on future success than the exterior value of the bldg's architecture.

• 4 months later...

I remember a lot of griping going on about the cleanliness and presentation of the Y a few months back...I do have to say, after going to the Y consistently for the last few months now, that the place looks great both inside and out, and even during peak hours (5:30 - 6:30pm), it is clean, organized, and well-kept. Guessing that someone with some influence spoke up to management, and the problems were quickly resolved!

I remember a lot of griping going on about the cleanliness and presentation of the Y a few months back...I do have to say, after going to the Y consistently for the last few months now, that the place looks great both inside and out, and even during peak hours (5:30 - 6:30pm), it is clean, organized, and well-kept. Guessing that someone with some influence spoke up to management, and the problems were quickly resolved!

There are comment cards throughout the building. I fill one out a couple times a week. Still lobbying for adequate lighting by the bike rack (and no motorcycles!).

Either that or they were still adjusting to the unexpected amounts of people they got.

I toured the Y on Saturday and it is fantastic! Congrats to Integrated Architecture, their design is beyond my expectations. I can't wait to start working out there -- with the some of the best skyline views in the city! (I'll have to bring my camera along while running on the track ;) )

And addition to all the top-notch facilities, there were a couple notable surprises. The lobby will include a "Lil Bite" cafe, owned and operated by the Gilmore Group. Also, in addition to LEED certification, there are solar panels on the roof. A screen in the lobby displays the current power intake data. Nice.

Archived