Small but interesting pa cities

stinkweed

Well, as I've discussed before I'll be taking a trip across PA soon. I was wonder if anyone had any good ideas for small main street type towns I could stop at along the way. I'd like to find a few places with the real small town main street feel to it. I think living in a big city has actually given me an appreciation for the smaller towns in some way. Anyway does anyone have any ideas? If you've been to eastern PA I'm thinking of the Jim Thorpe type place or Wheeling West Virgina kinda thing. I'll be covering most of PA so location isn't a problem.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Punxsutawney would be kind of cool. State College is small yet sophisticated. Greensburg just east of Pittsburgh is very nice. Something that has always interested me (and has loads of little main streets each with a different story) was taking state route 837/906 down the Steel Valley from Pittsburgh to West Virginia, lots of history and architecture, Kentuck Knob and Fallingwater are not far away, Braddock's field a major battle in what some call the first world-war is there, Kennywood, the Homestead Labor Battles National Park, and Friendship National Historic Site where founding father Albert Gallatin built a 18th century castle. The Whiskey Rebellion got started in the towns of Monongahela and Donora, as well as the Lewis and Clark exploration orginating at Elizabeth. From Fairmont WV to Pittsburgh the Monongahela or "Steel" valley has always really got me thinking of colonial history up to labor and corporate and immigration history and the architecture shows it.

Take a trip on historic and scenic U.S. Route 6 across the Northern Tier of Pennsylvania. Besides witnessing stunning natural beauty, it will also take you through many small "main street" towns. Of note are: Wellsboro, Coudersport, Port Allegany, Smethport, Kane and Warren.

Other delightful small towns to check out are: Ridgway (located in Elk County), Bellefonte (best small town in the state, in my opinion... near State College), Emporium (in Cameron County) and Lock Haven (in Clinton County).

Take a trip on historic and scenic U.S. Route 6 across the Northern Tier of Pennsylvania.  Besides witnessing stunning natural beauty, it will also take you through many small "main street" towns.  Of note are: Wellsboro, Coudersport, Port Allegany, Smethport, Kane and Warren. 

Other delightful small towns to check out are: Ridgway (located in Elk County), Bellefonte (best small town in the state, in my opinion... near State College), Emporium (in Cameron County) and Lock Haven (in Clinton County).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, route 6 is my first destination and actually how I got started on the whole PA trip.

• 3 months later...

Stinkweed, I think you will be just a week late for the Regatta, sadly. Not sure if anything is happening that weekend.

Good centrally located hotels: Sheraton (Station Square), Hilton (Downtown), Pittsburgh Renaissance Hotel (Downtown), Ramada Inn (Downtown), Holiday Inn (Oakland), Windham Garden (Oakland). Those should all be pretty central and easy to get around from. Enjoy your visit!

Hey Stinkweed,

If you are looking for a charming town I would stop off in Ligoneer. The town is adorable. I was there this weekend for the Senior PGA event at Laurel Valley (Rolling Rock is nearby as well). The land around there is beautiful and very well cared for. The uberwealthy in Pittsburgh (old steel families etc) have bought up alot of the land in that area so the homes are amazing and the land is pristine.

As for hotels in Pittsburgh, a Westin opened up here. It is right next to the convention center. I like Westins because they are nicer than most chain hotels but aren't as pricey as places like the William Penn (usually at least).

BTW - Be thankful you are missing the Regatta. I avoid the city like the plauge when the Regatta is on - it is pretty trashy (major understatement). But if you like looking at fat men in stained wife-beaters and the smell of funnel cake than maybe you would like it.

The Southside is always a good time....

Aw, the Regatta isn't so "trashy" imo. It just has an outdoor fair type atmosphere, which means lots of food vendors and sunburned people walking around.

It's fun to watch the boat races and be out in the sun. Plus there are usually some free concerts, and fireworks of course. It's a nice time if you don't mind crowds.

Regatta is ok, it is a bit like NASCAR especially on its last day but its all good.

I would rather attend the regatta then the Kentucky Derby but that's just me.

Besides last year we had a celebrity appearance at the event, Joe Paterno one of the greatest college football coaches ever not only came down to see it but participated in an event! (dontcha just love that JoPa mullett!) :rofl:

fatfishinjoecopy.jpg

:rofl::rofl:

. . . seriously though Ligioner (sp) is very nice, the Mellon-Scaifes of the Banking and Oil and lots of other fortunes own about 1/3 of the area around the town (Mellon Financial, Dryfuss, CreditSuisseFirstBoston, Chevron/Texaco etc.)

Dick Cheney got in trouble over there for "Quayle hunting" or something like that when they were "stocked" instead of wild. That little town is kind of like Pennsylvania's Beverly Hills you never know when a long black limo with a dozen black SUVs in tow are gonna show up. ;)

Well, I haven't been to the Regatta since I was a kid. Maybe it is more of a NASCAR-ish atmosphere than I realized. Haha. But they do have sailboat races now, and the "anything that floats" race is admittedly pretty funny. Some of the free concerts are decent, too.

I always hear such good things about Ligonier. Guess I need to take a day-trip sometime. :)

Archived