Will Charlotte see another Sears or JC Penney

DigitalSky

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SearsGrand_exterior_med.jpg

Is it a Sears Grand store that they're building in east Columbia? 

Those seem really cool.  Here's what Sears has to say about the new concept stores:

Sears Grand is a one-level store that carries everything from milk to refrigerators, bathing suits to sun block and car seats to baby food. Sears Grand offers the best of what Sears is known for

It would be nice to see them do something like this:

take over the old Super K Center on Sardis Rd N/Independence Blvd

superkcentersrs9tj.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:)

That old Kmart would be a good spot for something like Sears Grand. Right now, there's nothing on that corner but Value City. It looks a little lonely.

I think when shopping for home decoration and stuff, it is good to shop around as much as possible (including non-chains), in order to find the exact collection of junk to make your house feel like you (or your wife, depending :) ).

I have found the need for crate and barrell the most is when people from out of town/big cities register for their wedding, crate and barrell is one of the top places they chose. Online is not that big of a deal, but sometimes it is nice to look and peruse, and buy and wrap, and carry to the wedding, you know?

While we are on the subject of home decorating, I have found over the years that one of the best places to get items of this type (including paintings, furniture, knick knacks, etc) are at estate auctions. There are a wide variety of them going on in Charlotte all the time and there are 2-3 auction houses that operate weekly or semi-weekly auctions. They are one of Charlotte's hidden secrets.

I think when shopping for home decoration and stuff, it is good to shop around as much as possible (including non-chains), in order to find the exact collection of junk to make your house feel like you (or your wife, depending :) ). 

I have found the need for crate and barrell the most is when people from out of town/big cities register for their wedding, crate and barrell is one of the top places they chose.  Online is not that big of a deal, but sometimes it is nice to look and peruse, and buy and wrap, and carry to the wedding, you know?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

260_left.jpg

Crate & Barrel is certainly not the only answer for home decor, but it's a great store. The Raleigh store (at Crabtree Valley Mall) is small but well-stocked, and some other locations I've been to (Richmond, Chicago, New York) carry a cool line of modern furniture. And to top it off, most of the stuff in the store is fairly inexpensive. It would be great to see a Crate & Barrel store in Charlotte.

From Crate & Barrel:

Thank you for your email.

Currently we do not have any plans for a store around Charlotte, NC or the surrounding areas, but do appreciate your interest. You can see and buy all of our products (including Furniture!) by shopping with us at www.crateandbarrel.com, or by requesting a catalogue to be mailed to your home.

For now, we hope you find this a convenient way to shop.

From Crate & Barrel:

Currently we do not have any plans for a store around Charlotte, NC or the surrounding areas, but do appreciate your interest. You can see and buy all of our products (including Furniture!) by shopping with us at www.crateandbarrel.com, or by requesting a catalogue to be mailed to your home.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hah... I got the exact same response.

From Crate & Barrel:

Currently we do not have any plans for a store around Bumblefuque, ND or the surrounding areas, but do appreciate your interest. You can see and buy all of our products (including Furniture!) by shopping with us at www.crateandbarrel.com, or by requesting a catalogue to be mailed to your home.

You also have to remember that most stores do not discuss their plans until leases have been signed; the better to make sure that what they publically state is legitimate.

I have a strong hunch that Crate & Barrel is close to signing a deal to open in Charlotte in the SouthPark area. There's too many new projects in that part of town for them not to be actively looking for space.

yeah it does, and my real question is though, with all the Wal-Marts and Targets of the world, will anyone really shop at Sears Grand?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In a sense, all Sears did was repackage the same old stuff in a warehouse, but a lot of people, for some reason, are bought off by warehouses. They think they're getting a better deal at them when their prices are the same as better decorated stores usually (like Wal-Mart versus Target). Perception versus reality is odd sometimes.

It remains to be seen if anything will come of Sears Grand, but they have to try something, however weak, rather than just give up, which is what May Company is essentially doing right now.

In my eye, Sears gets an 'A' for effort, and a 'C' for execution.

Archived