First City in SC to build Mass Transit?

monsoon

Which City/Metro in SC will be the first to build fixed rail transit?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Which City/Metro in SC will be the first to build fixed rail transit?

• Charleston
    • Columbia
    • Greenville
    • Myrtle Beach
    • Rock Hill
    • Spartanburg
    • Other (explain)
    • Unlikely to Happen

As much as I would like to see a rail system in every major city in the state, the automobile is so entrenched in South Carolina I know it will be a long time coming. We can always push and hope that we see light rail sooner rather than later. I believe it adds alot to the experience of living in a city.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on another note, i heard a rumor that spartanburg might create another trolley car system. has anyone heard anything about plans? the lines used to run all the way from downtown to glendale off of country club rd. you can still see where the lines used to be. it's pretty cool.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a Spartanburg Trolley, but I can't recall what its nature is. I am thinking it is just a tourist/history thing. It does exist though, I saw it driving down Main St as I was waiting at the light on Pine. :)

In Glendale, if you take a paddling trip up the Lawsons Fork you can see where the trlley bridge used to pass over and go around the lake that used to exist behind the Glendale dam. Its all trees and a flood plain now. Trolley Car Way in Oak Creek gets its name from that line to Glendale.

Alot of the old rails are still buried under the roadway from what I understand.

As much as I would like to see a rail system in every major city in the state, the automobile is so entrenched in South Carolina I know it will be a long time coming. We can always push and hope that we see light rail sooner rather than later. I believe it adds alot to the experience of living in a city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True. I think it would be helpful to know the buse useage numbers for each bus system. I have no idea where to find this though. Greenville has it on their website: 750,000 annually, which is about 2054 per day.

Columbia and Charleston are likely higher than that. Columbia has 36 routes and Charleston has 23 or so. Compare that to Greenville's 9 (And Spartanburg's 8). As I see it, the ridership has to exist before the LRT/BRT/whatever can move forward.

I remember hearing on a radio show when I lived in Charleston a year ago that it costs Chalreston more to run the bus system that it would to just by everybody who uses the system a car. Weather or not that is true I do not know, seems like an exageration, but I thought it was funny none the less.

I remember hearing on a radio show when I lived in Charleston a year ago that it costs Chalreston more to run the bus system that it would to just by everybody who uses the system a car.  Weather or not that is true I do not know, seems like an exageration, but I thought it was funny none the less.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is a funny statement, but it has some merit in it. The problem is that the bus system, CARTA, is basically used by low-income, near-poverty level people. Very few middle-income people use it, and there's just not that much need for it because of CARTA's demographics.

The other problem is that the "geniuses" of the county legislature completely prohibited advertising on the new buses. They wanted their buses to be "clean" of any clutter and one council member stated that he did not want to have moving billboards in the city. What these morons need to realize is that prohibiting advertising is the reason the bus system became BROKE!! :angry: Advertising on buses and subways helps provide self-sufficient funding for any transportation system. Look at New York, Chicago, and Atlanta. Anyway, as a result of their short-sightedness, a new 1/2 cent tax was voted on in the county to keep the buses running. I am hopeful that a separate agency will be in control of the light rail, when it gets approved and built.

This is true. I can't think of a worse situation. You could put restritions to the size and type of ad the goes on the busses. even the location. I agree it does look better, but you have to be fiscally responsible.

Who would be interested in seeing all bus systems in SC and their stats layed out next to each other? (I think Greenville, SPartanburg, Columbia, and Charleston are the only places with a bus sytem) (Clemson and USC do not count).... I am interested, because I think that with 3 cities of similar size it would be great to compare. But if there is not intrest I won't go through the trouble of trying to locate some info.

This is true. I can't think of a worse situation. You could put restritions to the size and type of ad the goes on the busses. even the location. I agree it does look better, but you have to be fiscally responsible.

Who would be interested in seeing all bus systems in SC and their stats layed out next to each other? (I think Greenville, SPartanburg, Columbia, and Charleston are the only places with a bus sytem) (Clemson and USC do not count).... I am interested, because I think that with 3 cities of similar size it would be great to compare. But if there is not intrest I won't go through the trouble of trying to  locate some info.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Florence, Myrtle Beach, Rock Hill, Sumter and Anderson don't even have bus systems?

Who would be interested in seeing all bus systems in SC and their stats layed out next to each other? (I think Greenville, SPartanburg, Columbia, and Charleston are the only places with a bus sytem) (Clemson and USC do not count).... I am interested, because I think that with 3 cities of similar size it would be great to compare. But if there is not intrest I won't go through the trouble of trying to

I can't seem to find ridership info. I will keep on the lookout for it though.

Here is what I found:

Aiken

I was linked to Augusta Public Transit where I couldn't locate any info.

Anderson

ECT Electric City Transit

3 routes /colored lines

System Map

Beaufort /Hilton Head Area

LRTA Lowcountry Regional Transpotation Authority

9 routes /numbered

System Map

Charleston

CARTA Charleston Area Transit Authority

20 routes /numbered

System Map

Columbia

CMRTA Central Midlands Regional Transit Authority

36 routes /numbered

Trolley w/ 3 routes /colored

System Map

Florence

PDRTA Pee Dee Regional Transportation Authority

3 routes /numbered

System Map

Greenville

GTA Greenville Transit Authority

9 routes /named

System Map

Riders: 750,000 annually = 2055 daily users

Myrtle Beach

Lymo Waccamaw Regional Transit Authority (WRTA)

13 routes /non-sequential numbers

System Map

Rock Hill

CATS Charlotte Area Transity Authority

1 route serving Rock Hill /numbered

System Map Rock Hill

CATS System Map

Spartanburg

SPARTA Spartanburg Area Regional Transit Agency

8 routes /named & numbered

System Map

Sutmer Area

SWRTA Santee Wateree Regional Transportation Authority

7 routes /named & numbered

System Map

I found all of this info via the APTA website.

A lot of the smaller cities have at least some bus service I'm sure... Aiken has a "The Best Friend Express" bus system, but it has very limited service, and seems to best serve poor senior citizens going to Wal-mart...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Smaller cities are usually served by an extention service of a nearby larger city. Places like Hartsville/Darlington and Chesterfield area serverd by the PDRTA out of Florence for example.

Who would be interested in seeing all bus systems in SC and their stats layed out next to each other? (I think Greenville, SPartanburg, Columbia, and Charleston are the only places with a bus sytem) (Clemson and USC do not count).... I am interested, because I think that with 3 cities of similar size it would be great to compare. But if there is not intrest I won't go through the trouble of trying to  locate some info.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why doesn't Clemson's Count? It is not a university bus line, it is run by the city of Clemson and serves not only the University, but Tri-Coounty Tech, Anderson College, and Southern Weslyan, it is open to the public not just students and has stops in Anderson, Seneca, Central, Pendelton, and more is planned.

see map here CAT BUS MAP

I would have poseted the image but the map is made of of many images.

I can't seem to find ridership info. I will keep on the lookout for it though.

Here is what I found:

Aiken

I was linked to Augusta Public Transit where I couldn't locate any info.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice list... I couldn't find any ridership info either, but I did find some snippets on Aiken's system. (http://www.aikencounty.net/DspDocTopic.cfm?qDocID=54)

There 2 lines, with the "hub" being the USCA/Aiken Regional Medical Center area. One line runs through downtown Aiken, then out to the sprawl on Whiskey Rd.

The other line runs through the mill towns in Midland Valley then through N. Augusta. They claim to have 170 miles of service, but those two routes don't come close to 170 miles...

My thought was that Clemson and USC lines are primarily used by students, and it would give an inflated sense of use compared to the other cities. That said, I can go back and add in these two systems if you want.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh I see what you are saying, you are probubly right then. THough many others use it, their park and ride system on campus get the most traffic and would make their 1.2 million + riders uncomparable to other cities.

But look at Anderson, the Electric City Line connects to CAT and may be used more by residents.

Ok everyone, I found the info we really wanted. Its alittle dated, but it is all that I have been able to find so far.

Urban Transit Agencies in South Carolina: 2000

SCtransit_2k.png

This means that Columbia, by far, has the most commuters, but Charleston has the most overall users, which is likely incluenced by tourism. This indicates to me that Columbia would be the most likely to get LRT, BRTetc.

Major changes that I am aware of are:

• SCE&G no longer runs Columbia's transit, its the CMRTA.

• Spartanburg has 11 buses.

• We know Greenville's current "annual unlinked passenger trips" to be around 750,000.

Does anyone know of any other changes to that list?

Wow... go Florence! Those are some pretty impressive numbers for an independent city of that size (244 vehicles!?!?). That must be a pretty comprehensive system, and its definately the biggest surprise on the list (except maybe Spartanburg being ahead of Greenville)...

Wow... go Florence! Those are some pretty impressive numbers for an independent city of that size (244 vehicles!?!?). That must be a pretty comprehensive system, and its definately the biggest surprise on the list (except maybe Spartanburg being ahead of Greenville)...

Don't forget that the PDRTA has services across much of the Pee Dee (From Lancaster, Lee, Chersterfield, Marlboro, Marion, Darlington, Florence, Marion and I think Williamsburg counties. Much of their servies are likely demand responsive. But this vast area would demand more vehichles than a city with regular routes.

Interesting topic but I've never really considered it for South Carolina. It's fairly expensive to build and the cities aren't very large in population. We'll probably get that High Speed Rail Corridor passing through the state long before any local intown commuter rail, although Rock Hill could but only because of it's connection to Charlotte.

If Columbia continues to densify inside the belt, I could see trains funneling people downtown from Irmo/Chapin, Blythewood, Northeast/Camden, Forest Acres, West Columbia/Lexington; since those areas are engaged in the sprawl wars.

Obviously many of the folks living in Columbia don't have a clue how urbanized the Upstate is. Sure the cities aren't as populated as other places in the nation, but the total population in the Upstate is over 1 million, making LRT almost a necessity. I have to drive in this traffic everyday, so I know what that many people on the road means. :P From everything I've seen and also heard from people living in Columbia (something they brag about), there isn't the same traffic problem, and definitely not as much sprawl. This should make LRT less important there. JMO! :)

Archived