First City in SC to build Mass Transit?

monsoon

Which City/Metro in SC will be the first to build fixed rail transit?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Which City/Metro in SC will be the first to build fixed rail transit?

• Charleston
    • Columbia
    • Greenville
    • Myrtle Beach
    • Rock Hill
    • Spartanburg
    • Other (explain)
    • Unlikely to Happen

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking it was over I-85 also, although i'm not totally sure of that.

According to the Vision 2025 document (which this image is from, BTW), the multi-modal station will probably be built in downtown, not I-85. I could also see something eventually connecting GSP International Airport and other cities around the Upstate, via the station.

I posted this back in February in the MultiModal Money thread in the Greenville forum. It is easier to see.

MultiModal_2.jpg

Vision 2025 brochure

Ben Rook, Architect

I think the growth in Fort Mill and Rock Hill, and it relationship to Charlotte will make it easier to get funding to build LRT if SC will help York County move on this LRT line.

York County - Fort Mill and Rock Hill is the largest county in population

next to Mecklenberg County, NC

The biggest problem will be working between NC and SC Govt. in Raleigh and Columbia.

• 5 months later...

I've mentioned before that Myrtle Beach is a good candidate for mass transit in this state given the unique characteristics of the city. Apparently the city council there is going to invest $30,000 in a study to bring a electrified rail based trolley to the city. It's interesting they once considered monorail.

More information in this here.

Its in the Post & Courier and probably the Sun too. This is exciting news. I really hope they can pull it off. I can honestly tell you that I would want to go to Myrtle Beach a lot more if I knew I didnt have to drive.

People would probably take it just for the novelty of a "trolley" too, I think this would be a tremendous success. Boo to those who say that people should use the bus (that hardly ever comes).

Archived