Orlando Performing Arts Center

retorsky

UCF posted an advertisement for a construction manager and an architect for OPAC (Orlando Performing Arts Center) on 2/18/05. If you go to http://www.orlandopac.org/, there are three different site layout schemes, although not concrete, represent the general components of the project. The following is a list of the relative parking and space requirement for invidivual components of the multi-tiered plan:

I. OPAC COMPONENTS

1. Amplified Hall (2,800 to 3,000 + seats), 2,800 parking spaces, 150,000 - 200,000 sq. ft of facility

2. Acoustic Hall (1,800 to 2,000 seats), 1,800 parking spaces, 100,000 - 125,000 sq. ft of facility

3. Offices & Support Space, 40,000 - 55,000 sq. ft.

4. Banquet Hall & Facilities, 20,000 - 30,000 sq. ft.

5. Commercial Retail & Dining/Beverage, 25,000 - 35,000 sq. ft.

6. Grand Plaza & Pedestrian Ext., 100,000 - 140,000 sq. ft.

7. Fla. Academy of the Arts--PreK thru 12, 22,000 - 30,000 sq. ft.

8. Parking-Structural (750 to 2,400 cars)

9. Church Education & Family Life Center, 55000- 55,000 sq. ft.

OPAC Total : 515,000 - 670,000 sq. ft.

II. UCF COMPONENTS

1. Proscenium Theatre, 400 parking spaces, 37,000 sq. ft.

2. Studio Theatre, 200 parking spaces, 19,900 sq. ft.

3. Recital Hall, 260 parking spaces, 22,300 sq. ft.

4. Rehearsel & Offices, 21,300 sq. ft.

5. Production Support, 37,000 sq. ft.

6. Security/Caf

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UCF posted an advertisement for a construction manager and an architect for OPAC (Orlando Performing Arts Center) on 2/18/05. If you go to http://www.orlandopac.org/, there are three different site layout schemes, although not concrete, represent the general components of the project. The following is a list of the relative parking and space requirement for invidivual components of the multi-tiered plan:

I. OPAC COMPONENTS 

1. Amplified Hall (2,800 to 3,000 + seats), 2,800 parking spaces, 150,000 - 200,000 sq. ft of facility

2. Acoustic Hall (1,800 to 2,000 seats), 1,800 parking spaces, 100,000 - 125,000 sq. ft of facility

3. Offices & Support Space, 40,000 - 55,000 sq. ft.

4. Banquet Hall & Facilities, 20,000 - 30,000 sq. ft.

5. Commercial Retail & Dining/Beverage, 25,000 - 35,000 sq. ft.

6. Grand Plaza & Pedestrian Ext., 100,000 - 140,000 sq. ft.

7. Fla. Academy of the Arts--PreK thru 12, 22,000 - 30,000 sq. ft.

8. Parking-Structural (750 to 2,400 cars) 

9. Church Education & Family Life Center, 55000- 55,000 sq. ft.

OPAC Total : 515,000 - 670,000 sq. ft.

II. UCF COMPONENTS 

1. Proscenium Theatre, 400 parking spaces, 37,000 sq. ft.

2. Studio Theatre, 200 parking spaces, 19,900 sq. ft.

3. Recital Hall, 260 parking spaces, 22,300 sq. ft.

4. Rehearsel & Offices, 21,300 sq. ft.

5. Production Support, 37,000 sq. ft.

6. Security/Caf

My take on the site selection is that they will want to block(s) east of City Hall, across from the Grand Bohemian. CNL will also want to be close to their other buildings if they are included in the plan - that probably means, you guessed it, a possible sky bridge over Orange Avenue? :blink:

I think CNL will get ahold of the round circular glass building, demo it and build a new tower - 12 stories.  The City ain't movin' into the CNL towers - these have offices for law firms and more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's exactly what I think they'll be doing. In fact, I believe CNL already owns the circular building.

No, I think the city already own that building after the land swap with CNL for the site of CNL II.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right.

Going back to hotels for a sec, this came into my inbox today:

Sheraton Orlando Downtown, Orlando, FL (opening 3rd quarter 2005, 337 rooms)

I am pretty sure that the round building that still houses some of CNL (which a friend of mine works in) is going to be torn down within the next two years. CNL land swapped it with the city last year and has a free lease to use it until it moves into CNL 2 currently being constructed next to city hall.

Orlando Performing Arts Center extends deadline for RFQ response

The board of directors of the Orlando Performing Arts Center today extended the deadline to May 3 to respond to a request for qualifications for a private partnership to oversee the development of a multifaceted performing arts complex.

The original deadline was March 15.

The complex would include educational facilities, a public plaza, parking structures and potential commercial development. In total, more than 1 million square feet of space may be developed, with an estimated construction cost of $250 million.

The board is seeking a partner with experience in finance, design, programming, construction and operations.

The board decided to extend the deadline for the responses to broaden "the opportunity for greater participation from national and international firms with the expertise the project requires," says Chairman Jim Pugh.

"In addition to depth of experience, the firm we select must present innovative financing options ... including the opportunity to self-participate in the financing," he says.

For more information on the RFQ, see www.orlandopac.org.

The board's next meeting is March 8 at 6 p.m. at SunTrust Bank Central Florida, 200 S. Orange Ave.

I doubt Orlando will have anything on that scale with 260 millions

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know, I just googled how much it cost to build Gehry's concert hall, and according to an article in the SF Chronicle the cost was 274 million, so maybe it is possible. It has to be more expensive to build in LA, so you would think we should be able to stretch 260 million in Orlando further than you could in LA. The two potential problems I see are: (a) I think Orlando's plan call for much more than just a concert hall, so if the 260 million has to cover everything it might not be feasible, and (B) Orlando is probably too conservative to accept anything even half as radical as Gehry's concert hall. I think the Disney Concert Hall is stunning, but I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if a majority of residents agreed with me. Anyway, I wouldn't want anything that ripped off that design, but I would really like it if a groundbreaking design was selected. I don't know, I guess I should probably be prepared for finding out what a concert hall with a visor looks like.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...MNGAF2CHGK1.DTL

Archived