Tourism up 3% in 2004

Brickell

Good to see that the hurricanes didn't affect the numbers too much.

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/st...tml?t=printable

State tourism increases to 76.8M

In a 3 percent increase from the year before, the total number of people who visited Florida last year is equal to every man, woman and child who live in the Philippines.

From Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, more than 76.8 million people visited the state. That's up from 76.31 million people the year before.

"While the bout with four hurricanes slowed visitation to our state in the third quarter of 2004, tourism was up in the first, second and fourth quarters at a level significant enough to provide a slight annual increase in visitors for 2004," Gov. Jeb Bush said.

However, the numbers, from Visit Florida, the state's official source for travel planning, may have been both despite - and, in part, because of - an unusually active hurricane season. Visit Florida said it is realistic to assume some of its domestic travel visitor estimates for the third and fourth quarters included travelers to Florida who were part of hurricane relief and reconstruction efforts.

The state said the magnitude of that impact on 2004 domestic visitors is unknown.

But, when people did come, they spent more money than tourists did the year before.

While the total visitor spending for 2004 is not yet available, tourism-type spending from both out-of-state and residents from January through November was $51.8 million. That exceeds the entire 2003 total of $51.5 million.

"With Visit Florida's focused marketing efforts serving to correct perceptions and assuring travelers, we remain cautiously optimistic about tourism in 2005," Bush said.

The state recently gave the tourism industry $4.75 million for marketing efforts to focus on improving perceptions on travel to Florida, specifically during June through November.

"The international media coverage of the storms in 2004 continued for six weeks and aired globally, leaving incorrect perceptions about Florida's well-being and overall status as a intact tourism destination," the state said, "sparking the need for a focused marketing campaign to improve perceptions and reassure travelers that Florida is a safe, sunny and welcoming destination."

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The international media coverage of the storms in 2004 continued for six weeks and aired globally, leaving incorrect perceptions about Florida's well-being and overall status as a intact tourism destination," the state said, "sparking the need for a focused marketing campaign to improve perceptions and reassure travelers that Florida is a safe, sunny and welcoming destination."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I cant tell you how many ppl tll me that when i talk about moving back ppl say oh what about the Hurricanes which arent a big deal i go outside and watch all the stuff happen if its Cat 1-weak3 cat 4 and up are bad but i havent been through one directly because Tampa Bay hasnt had a major hurricane for a long time.

Archived