South Florida Transportation

Brickell

American Airlines was responsible for the construction of the North Terminal, and now that the project is over budget, the County is preparing to vote on taking over the North Terminal construction. It's already overseeing the South Terminal, which is on schedule.

Posted on Fri, May. 27, 2005

MIAMI AIRPORT

County set to finish troubled terminal

Beset by ever-higher costs and increasing complexity, the controversial North Terminal project at Miami International Airport may be getting a new boss -- Miami-Dade County.

BY TERE FIGUERAS NEGRETE

[email protected]

With anticipated costs spiraling toward $2 billion -- nearly double the original budget -- county officials Thursday took steps to take control of building the problem-plagued North Terminal at Miami International Airport, replacing American Airlines at the project's helm.

After months of negotiations and sometimes tense relations, the airline agreed to pay $105 million and cede control of the project, the largest piece of a massive airport expansion project that has been beset by cost overruns and delays.

[...]

Now, though, costs for the North Terminal project -- which when completed will stretch longer than a mile and occupy more than three million square feet of space at MIA -- may balloon to an estimated $1.945 billion, said County Manager George Burgess. That's more than $348 million over the last official estimate. Commissioners would have to approve spending the new amounts.

More: Miami Herald

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A congested airport with strong NIMBYs who will do anything to stop expansion.

Posted on Fri, May. 27, 2005

BROWARD

More flight delays feared at airport

Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International is on a list of six airports that may face serious summertime delays. An issue is when its capacity will max out.

BY DIANA MOSKOVITZ

[email protected]

Delay-plagued Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport could get even worse this summer.

It was listed as one of six airports considered potential ''trouble spots'' for vacation travelers, according to testimony given before a U.S. Senate aviation subcommittee Thursday.

Last summer, 26 percent of planes arrived late to Fort Lauderdale, according to the report. And this year, 23 percent more departures are scheduled, suggesting more delays to come, according to a report from the inspector general for the U.S. Department of Transportation.

More: Miam Herald

• 3 weeks later...

Broward County recently announced the opening of its brand new, state of the art Traffic Operations Center, located in Fort Lauderdale. The new facility marks a first in Florida: as the new home of the Broward County Traffic Engineering Division and the Florida Department of Transportation, Broward becomes the first Florida county to coordinate both state and county traffic operations under one roof. Broward manages over over 1300 traffic signals throughout the county.

What makes this system so great is Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) technology. With traffic cameras strategically placed on state-maintained roadways, and traffic data collected from state highways and county arteries, the operations center will be better able to improve emergency dispatch and response time, update dynamic message boards to inform motorists of traffic conditions and accidents, and help synchronize traffic signals countywide.

Eventually the center will also help coordinate with Broward County Transit and the Florida Highway Patrol.

Press Release (Broward County)

Plans also include integration and synchronization with Miami-Dade and Palm Beach traffic systems. Miami-Dade is in the process of upgrading its signalization system as well

Planned new tolls on the Dolphin, Snapper Creek and Don Shula expressways could be costly for Kendall residents, me included. I dont' disagree with the theory but in practice I fear this is going to cause Kendall surface streets to become completely overburdened with people refusing to take the toll routes.

Pay per Mile tolls could be around the corner according to the article but this is the first I've heard of it.

http://www.communitynewspapers.com/2005/sp...s/local1_kg.htm

I'm not fond of the "new" toll on the Snapper Creek -- I don't think it's long enough to warrant one.

I would think that mile-based tolling would require a toll plaza at each exit to record the points of entry and exit. The Sawgrass Expwy in Broward has unmanned toll booths at entrances and exits. It also sounds that there would be a lot of toll "rounding" in this method.

• 3 weeks later...

It's about time... A contract for a new traffic management system is expected to be approved today to replace Miami-Dade's existing outdated traffic signal control system. This is great stuff. Hopefully now we will see better timed signals now that they will be centrally controlled by computer and can make better real-time adjustments.

Miami-Dade County operates 2,650 traffic signals. The traffic system currently in use is at its maximum capacity of 2,024 signals, which means that 626 are not integrated with the rest of the system.

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/news/050707/story5.shtml

Broward and Palm Beach counties have also been performing major overhauls and upgrades to their systems. Eventually the three counties' systems will be synchronized with each other to improve cross-county traffic. A traffic engineer told me that many miles of fiber optic cable are being run, and eventually all the Florida DOT offices and the major traffic operations centers will be able to share data with each other, which should help dramatically improve traffic flow in the region.

Speaking of traffic congestion, the stretch of I-95 between Vero Beach and Daytona Beach is a nightmare. In the urban counties (Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach), I-95 is an average of 8-12 lanes of traffic. Just past Fort Pierce it narrows to 4 and doesn't widen to 6 until Volusia County. The road is seriously over capacity along that stretch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, I though I was the only one who noticed that.

Its almost like driving thru a major city during rush hour on I-95 in Brevard and Indian River Counties. DOT really needs to add new lanes in those counties just as they did in St. Johns & Valusia Counties. Construction has already begun in Flagler County.

I allways felt I-95 should be 6 lanes throughout the State of Florida. It would make the 4 1/2 hour drive from Miami to Jacksonville less congested. But with growning communities along the stretch, traffic is not going to get any better.

More infamous county airport politicking... Commissioners love to meddle with contracts and write up the RFPs so that the bids that end up getting submitted to them could only possibly be won by the people that help get them elected.

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/news/050714/story3.shtml

Here's a good op-ed piece on it too.

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/news/050714/...viewpoint.shtml

I agree... MIA's position will be restrengthened further, somewhat balancing out the international hub traffic with cheap domestic traffic. When the new North and South terminals (American and Delta) open at MIA, we will probably see the smaller and low-cost carriers set up in the older main terminal.

We Need that guy to make progress with the county on Opa-Locka and do what he did in London with Gatwick and Heathrow...His Plans are to make Opa-Locka into a Low-Cost carrier airport (Like Gatwick) and create a privately funded LRT to link it to MIA. Apparently the county isn't letting him have all the land he originally purchased or something like that...Its a good idea and will keep more money with-in Miami-Dade County.

• 4 weeks later...

MIAMI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - SOUTH TERMINAL PROJECT

Some recent pics of MIA's new South Terminal, currently under construction. When completed, it will be occupied by Delta and all of its SkyTeam affiliates. Combined with the North Terminal also under construction for American Airlines, this is the largest expansion in MIA's history and one of the largest ever taken on a fully-operational airport.

miasouthterminal1vq.jpg

p60906154vb.jpg

sorry for the blur.. it was dusk and this pic was taken while in motion. That's a connecting moving walkway bridge u/c between the terminal and the Flamingo parking garage.

p61107384hd.jpg

Archived