South Florida Transportation

Brickell

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

LE JEUNE/OKEECHOBEE FLYOVER

Construction was recently completed on a new flyover ramp for traffic traveling from northbound Le Jeune Road (NW 42nd Ave/SR 953) to north/west bound Okeechobee Road (US 27). This is to the north and east of Miami International Airport.

lejeuneokeeflyover8lv.jpg

Previously the only permissible way to make a left turn onto Okeechobee was to make three rights around the diamond-shaped island above Okeechobee.

The crossroads it serves is complex and convoluted, involving the intersections of an east-west road (NW 36th St), a parallel east-west expressway (SR 112/Airport Expressway), a north-south artery (Le Jeune Rd), and a northwest/southeast diagonal road (Okeechobee Rd/US 27).

lejeuneokee369ug.jpg

The northbound segment of the NW 36th St/Le Jeune Rd intersection consists of 2 left-turn lanes for turning onto westbound NW 36th ST, 2 bays for approaches to westbound Okeechobee, 3 through-lanes for northbound traffic, and 1 right turn lane for eastbound 36th St.

PALMETTO EXPRESSWAY CONSTRUCTION

Work has been progressing on the latest portion of SR 826, the Palmetto Expressway, to undergo reconstruction. Presently the segment between NW 36th St and Okeechobee Road/US 27.

Improvements include higher Jersey barriers in the median, wider shoulders on both left- and right-hand sides, and improved signage.

palmettos74n583wq.jpg

The interchange that comprises the Okeechobee Road and South River Drive exits is being reconfigured. The two roads are divided by a canal and run parallel to each other. The old interchange was a form of cloverleaf design. A new flyover for westbound Okeechobee to southbound 826 is under construction, which will help reduce "weave" and long backups that occur on the current southbound entrance ramp.

palmettous279hm.jpg

Here is an old aerial of the interchange (Okeechobee is on top, South River drive on the bottom):

palmettookeeriver6uy.jpg

Under the new design, Okeechobee and South River Drive have been combined into the same exit, with new bridges crossing the canal. The loops have been eliminated, and it now resembles more of a "diamond".

NW 74th Street interchange is being modified and widened. New overhead directional signs are being installed at every reconstructed exit.

palmettonw740mb.jpg

• 5 months later...

^That SFEC site is cool, I hope they can come up with some great urban transit along the eastern fringes.

Also, I'm glad to hear that Tri-Rail is installing 10 TRAINS! Wow! This will be great, and hopefully all their kinks will get worked out. Tri-Rail really got a bad reputation, and alot of riders got really fed up with the crappy service....

Thanks for posting all these articles, southernyank! Just a reminder: I think the admin/mods appreciate posting all kinds of news in one post. You can just use the "EDIT" button to keep adding news on to your post.

I'm not really on top of Miami news sources, so thanks for hunting for stories! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Check out this link for the new MCI D4500 Commuter Coach Express bus. Apparently 13 of these were purchased.

http://www.miamidadetransit.com/6703C.jpg

Here is also a pretty cool link to the Miami-Dade busses of the past and present.

http://www.miamidadetransit.com/MDTPictures.html

Those buses are uber cool! I'm glad MDTA is finally getting on the ball and buying commuter coaches like so many other transit agencies have.

I wonder what routes those buses will be put on? The Dade-Monroe Express is a prime route to put those buses.

I actually have some bus drawings....

mdta.jpg

bct.jpg

"Miami commissioners will be asked to rechristen part of Southeast Second Avenue by taking the name of its neighbor to the south: Brickell Avenue. Some historians, however, are not so happy."

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/local/14209767.htm

The name change of 2nd Ave to Brickell has been negated since it was determined that its a state road and the City has no juristiction to re-name it.

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/news/060406/story1.shtml

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

FLL and Palm Beach Airports See Growth

Both Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach are seeing tentative growth in new markets as the new year begins. GoJet, an upstart carrier from St. Louis will begin flights between Fort Lauderdale and Dulles Airport in Washington in the near future. Spirit continues its unabated growth with flights to Bogota, Panama City, Port-au-Prince and possibly Cartagena, Colombia. Palm Beach International is seeing new growth in flights serving the midwest. In the midst of severe cutbacks and escalating fuel costs, can this growth be sustained? I'm noticing a sharp increase in the cost of flights from Washington, but this is more likely due to the season itself. Fares are always high at this time of the year. There will also soon be service to London from FLL when Zoom Airlines begins service in June. Has anyone taken advantage of the new international service out of FLL or Palm Beach?

The Sun-Sentinel

Archived