Bishop Airport Updates

VeeFan

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read that earlier. I hope the airport keeps up this pace. I saw another article earlier saying that the Flint Amtrak station's ridership went up by over 50% since they changed the route a year or two ago.

The bad part is that Flint's ridership is about 60% of what Lansing has and is about even with Kalamazoo, which has a much lower population. I think a few ads and a positive story in the Flint Journal would do wonders for ridership numbers.

I read that article too about Amtrak, and I didn't even realize that Amtrak still stopped in Flint. There was that big deal a few years back about Amtrak ending stops at a lot of cities, and I thought Flint was one of then. But apparently not! lol

• 1 month later...

I dont think AirTran has a hub in DC to fly planes to though. I think their hubs on the east coast is Atlanta, BWI and Orlando. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. BWI is close enough though as you can easily access DC via train.

• 2 weeks later...

Bishop is trying to get a federal grant to add nonstop flights to either DC or New York by the end of the year, but the workers are asking for the public to write letters to the Department of Transportation on Bishop's behalf.

If you're interesting in participating, http://www.bishopairport.org/grant.htm

And for more information, http://www.bishopairport.org

It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to get direct flights to Chicago in the near future since it proved profitable while it lasted.

I'd like to see direct flights to New York, myself. I think last time I flew there (about 5 years ago) I had to go through Atlanta. Of course there are more hubs now, but that was annoying.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bishop Airport... Man, I was there last December (Christmas of 2004), and drove into the parking lot to get turned around, and headed back the proper direction on Bristol Road. Bishop used to be oh, something like that little air strip where prop jobs would come and go. A small tower, a place for the planes to park, an air strip, and gobs of little Cessnas and Pipers. My grandfather would take me there once in a while, when I was 3 or 4 years of age, and let me view them things taking off, landing, and taxing and so forth.

Anyway, back to my most recent experience. I wanted to check the area out, since it was a while since I had seen it. Bishop didn't seem that big when I made that right turn after comming off of I-69. But as I kept driving that maze, it just grew and grew... I ended up on a one way street that essentially pushed me along like some flood current down an arroyo after a thunderstorm, through a tunnel, and clear to the other side of the complex. It finally it dumped me off into a parking lot some place. After giving it a few minutes to figure that thing out, I "rode the current" again back to Bristol so I could get turned around and headed to the Meijer's on Center Road.

No, Bishop doesn't look that big from the road. But looks are deceiving!

MrCoffee

I believe so. I think it's where the motel they purchased was located. I really need to plan a trip from there just to be in the airport for a little while.

Oh yeah, they recently landed direct flights to Las Vegas, too. Maybe I can make a visit to get my funds to expidite the revitalization of Flint...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived