Bishop Airport Updates

VeeFan

Hey guys, what's the latest at Bishop? Has it taken the title as MI's second busiest airport yet?

Nope. It goes like this

DTW - 34,500,201

GRR - 2,150,125

FNT - 1,175,710

LAN - 650,915

KZO - 437,238

MBS - 424,778

TVC - 397,038

This is actually from MDOT 2004, the last year all airports data was available.

For 2005 there is no Detroit data but Grand Rapids did 2,090,505 and Flint lost pax and went to 996,823.

MDOT has data only for January for this year, but GRR has 155,672 and FNT has 92,303.

(NOTE : data is from http://mdotwas1.mdot.state.mi.us/public/airportstats/ )

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those aren't bad numbers for Flint at all, considering the loss of the Chicago Charter flights, and I think there have been problems with the Vegas flights now as well (I thought I heard they were either cancelling that as well, or cutting back on the number of flights).

Bishop has two flights to Chicago O'hare through American Eagle, which operate the ERJ. It's the same plane AE uses for all of its short hop flights. It's pretty small, holding 44 passengers.

There are also only two flights to Las Vegas. One operated by Northwest with a DC-9 (100-110 passengers) and the other by AirTran with a Boeing 737 (130-140 passengers).

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any ideas about what might happen when Northwest fires all of its counter and baggage employees. It doesn't look good for the people at Cherry Capital Airport in Traverse City. Just wondering if anyone around here knows someone that works for NWA at bishop and what they think.

• 9 months later...

old news but good news for FNT,

Bishop International Airport receives $4 million grant that will create 200 new jobs for area residents

I could see this airport becoming bigger and bigger as the detroit subburbs move northward, frieght picks up and soon the passengers will too as it becomes more of an option, there just needs to be more direct flights thats the biggest dissadvantage from metro

• 4 months later...

Thought I would add an update here. After 2004's slight dip in total enplanement, Bishop was back up to over 1 million in 2005 (1,090,764) and then down just a bit in 2006 (1,061,389). So far for this year, it looks like it will be up over 1 mil. again (through April 06, TE was 420,718; through April 07 it was 375,329) so long as they can take in at least 90,000 pax per month, which shouldn't be to hard with summer almost here.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Seeing as how there has little to absolutly no traffic on the Flint board, I thought I would contribute (in places that I know about)

Bishop should pass 1 million again this year. At the end of September, 797,189 people had gone through the gates. That means at least 68,000 need to go through each of the last three months to get past the 1,000,000 people mark again. That shouldn't be to hard with the holidays coming up and seeing as how they have avereged a little over 88,500 per month so far this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Bishop would have to get more carriers, I think, to warrant an expansion. Right now it only has AirTran, American Eagle, Continental, Delta, Midwest Connection, and of course NWA. There needs to be demand for travel to other destinations first before it'll be more feasible to add more carriers (such as SouthWest). I personally would love to see Bishop really utilize the 'International' part of its name and offer direct flights to Toronto or Montreal.

I don't think it has anything to do with the airport authority, but more to do with Customs and Border Protection, Immigration and Customs Enforcement and a place to put all those people. It is not as easy as landing a few planes and saying, "Hey, we're going to Toronto. Who wants a ride?" As it is right now, there are only a handful of CBP officers and even fewer ICE agents covering FNT and MBS (CBP is based in Saginaw, ICE in Flint).

So even though it is a good idea, one I think there would be demand from even if just from Oakland County, it would take a lot of time to build area's for checking people in and out and probebly even more money.

• 2 months later...

It's not bad news at all considering all but four of the commercial airports in the state lost passengers. Those 12 lost a combined 6,890,781 passengers or 17.6% (this in DTW which lost 6,716,674 or 19.1%). The four that gained were

Flint Bishop up 0.9%

Gwinn Marquette up 1.1%

Manistee Blacker up 8.2%

Chippawa Sault Ste. Marie up 1.6%

Not impressive but not a drop either.

Archived