Favorite Triad Mall

StevenRocks

What is your favorite Triad-area mall or shopping area?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Triad-area mall or shopping area?

• Four Seasons Town Centre (Greensboro)
    • Friendly Center (Greensboro)
    • West Wendover Avenue (Greensboro)
    • Hanes Mall (Winston-Salem)
    • Other shopping centers on Hanes Mall Boulevard (Winston-Salem)
    • Oak Hollow Mall (High Point)
    • Colonial Mall Burlington (Holly Hill)
    • Burlington Manufacturers Outlet Center (BMOC)
    • Randolph Mall (Asheboro)
    • Eden Mall
    • Pennrose Mall (Reidsville)
    • Other

How much bigger can Harris Teeter's new store get? lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It probably won't get bigger, but It'll be a little better located in regards to the expansion. Right now, it's the terminus of the shopping center, and if it stayed in place, it would be a barrier between the old and new stuff.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Concerning the Friendly Center expansion...

I've read a couple of things on the internet that concern the expansion.  For one thing, it will be mixed-use.  Check this out from an article in The Business Journal from last year:

Ron Wilson, a senior vice president at Starmount [Corporation], said his company also is planning 72 for-sale condominiums and some office space on the Burlington Industries site. He said Starmount likely will build the condos, which could offer 1,500 square feet of space at a price of $200,000 a home.

According to the News & Record, the retail expansion will bring Friendly Center to 1.2 million square feet, which is larger than Four Seasons Town Centre's 1.1 millon, making it the second largest shopping center in the Triad behind Hanes Mall.

I've also read that Harris Teeter could be relocating their store into the new section, and I'm assuming the current store would be torn down in that scenario.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This definitely sounds cool. I hope they release some new info about it sometime soon.

70,000 Sq Ft Harris Teeter! dang, that's bigger than Morocroft's Harris Teeter which i think is 68,000. I love how they refer to it as Greensboro's TajMa Teeter

Plus, it would be nice to see the Triad get tenants like Pottery Barn, REI, Organized Living. And a Bed, Bath & Beyond on that side of town (especially for UNCG students) would be really great.

Would love to see P.F. Changs in Gbroro... the closest is Durham.

You know, come to think of it, these stores could have quite possibly been major stores at that mall that was planned off Bryan Blvd but never build because of the NIMBYists... It would certainly have been interesting to have a more upscale mall on that side of town.

Here's the full possibletenant list from that article for ppl that don't feel like reading through:

Harris Teeter

Pottery Barn

Organized Living

REI Sports

Bed Bath & BEyond

J. Crew

Abercrombie & Fitch

Talbots

Coldwater Creek

Christopher & Banks

Ann Taylor

Red Star Tavern

Flemings Steakhouse

Maggiano's Little Italy

PF Chang's

Winston-Salem still needs the mall, albeit in the new outside fashion, at Northside, and might yet get it with the beltway coming (now delayed yet again). But, I'm also betting a new mall of some sort can't be far behind with all of the new, and even more rapidly developing than thought stuff near the new Dell facility in southeast W-S.

Winston-Salem still needs the mall, albeit in the new outside fashion, at Northside, and might yet get it with the beltway coming (now delayed yet again).  But, I'm also betting a new mall of some sort can't be far behind with all of the new, and even more rapidly developing than thought stuff near the new Dell facility in southeast W-S.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is W-S really ready for a new mall? Maybe something non-traditional that won't be a clone of Hanes would be nice for the northside of winston.

Is W-S really ready for a new mall?  Maybe something non-traditional that won't be a clone of Hanes would be nice for the northside of winston.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

North Winston could be the site of a new mall. There was one talked about for several years in the North Point Blvd. area, but it never got off the ground. The area's grown so much it may need to be revisited. It won't be a clone of Hanes though. Probably open air, at least in part.

North Winston and SE Forsyth could definitely support a new Mall. I still think that MarketPlace could be developed into a nice upscale Mall. If it was expanded, with a couple department stores, it would provide a nice option to Hanes. That whole corridor has a lot of potential since it leads to Downtown and maybe the new baseball stadium.

I could be wrong but I think that the Shoppes on Little Creek will be an open air mall?...kinda village style like Thruway on Stratford and South Point in Durham.

Developing Market Place Mall further is an intriguing idea, and especially since there's no more room there, it would have to go upward.

In both situations, Northside and the southeast, it would be open air as the trend is now; an example Short Pump in Richmond, a real sucess and attractive, but cold in the winter.

Market Place is so close to Hanes Mall (one exit away) I'm wondering if it isn't a little too close to be redeveloped as a nicer mall. There is a lot of retail already on the Hanes Mall Blvd. corridor, which cuts down on the potential tenant pool considerably.

Looks like Burlington's heating up. The once-sleepy interstate town will soon be home to Target, Old Navy, Best Buy, PetSmart, Bed Bath & Beyond and Ross Dress for Less, and could soon also have Dillard's, Dick's Sporting Goods, Circuit City and Kohl's

Intrigued?...read more here:

Retailers commit to Burlington

I grew up in Burlington. My parents' house is about 1/4 of a mile away from the new interstate exit and all those new stores. There has definitely been a growth spurt in Burlington recently. More and more people who work in the larger surrounding areas, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Highpoint and Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, are living in Burlington because they can get more for their respective buck there. It's still mostly a "hick" town though.

Also, there is already a Dillards at the "Colonial" mall (it will always be Holly Hill mall to me). At least, there used to be.

Also, there is already a Dillards at the "Colonial" mall (it will always be Holly Hill mall to me). At least, there used to be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, Dillard's isn't at Holly Hill...er... Colonial anymore. It's just anchored by Belk, Goody's, JC Penney and Sears now.

yeah i wasnt sure if it was there in the first place but i thought i'd trust ezcheese since he's from Burlington

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry ezcheee, I don't want to be contrary just for the sake of it, but I'm pretty sure they never had a Dillard's in Burlington. There's one in Chapel Hill, but likely not in B-town. They used to have B.A. Sellars, which was pretty swank.

No matter, they're getting one soon.

str0442.jpg

Dillards at Chapel Hill's University Mall. (Sorry couldn't resist)

Belk used to be at this mall, but closed once Southpoint opened i think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep. Hudson Belk (Belk-Leggett) used to be on the other end of the mall.

If anyone's curious about what Ivey's stores used to look like, they should go to Dillard's at University Mall. Some parts of that store haven't been signifigantly changed since it opened in 1973.

Sorry ezcheee, I don't want to be contrary just for the sake of it, but I'm pretty sure they never had a Dillard's in Burlington.  There's one in Chapel Hill, but likely not in B-town.  They used to have B.A. Sellars, which was pretty swank.

No matter, they're getting one soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh, believe it or not, there was one where the old Woolworth's used to be in the mid to late 90's. A friend of mine's girlfriend worked in the customer service department when I was still in high school, sometime in 1994 or 1995. I remember going there with him so that he could talk to her while she was working. Apparently, it wasn't there long enough for anyone to notice! ;)

I also think it may have been a smaller, ghetto version of the store.

Heh, believe it or not, there was one where the old Woolworth's used to be in the mid to late 90's. A friend of mine's girlfriend worked in the customer service department when I was still in high school, sometime in 1994 or 1995. I remember going there with him so that he could talk to her while she was working. Apparently, it wasn't there long enough for anyone to notice!  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd have never guessed that, ezcheeze. I stand corrected. :silly:

Heh, believe it or not, there was one where the old Woolworth's used to be in the mid to late 90's. A friend of mine's girlfriend worked in the customer service department when I was still in high school, sometime in 1994 or 1995. I remember going there with him so that he could talk to her while she was working. Apparently, it wasn't there long enough for anyone to notice!  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that where Goodys is now?

Archived