Favorite Triad Mall

StevenRocks

What is your favorite Triad-area mall or shopping area?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Triad-area mall or shopping area?

• Four Seasons Town Centre (Greensboro)
    • Friendly Center (Greensboro)
    • West Wendover Avenue (Greensboro)
    • Hanes Mall (Winston-Salem)
    • Other shopping centers on Hanes Mall Boulevard (Winston-Salem)
    • Oak Hollow Mall (High Point)
    • Colonial Mall Burlington (Holly Hill)
    • Burlington Manufacturers Outlet Center (BMOC)
    • Randolph Mall (Asheboro)
    • Eden Mall
    • Pennrose Mall (Reidsville)
    • Other

I guess so.  I think Goody's took the old Woolworth's space in Burlington.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! I have a bad memory. You are totally right. I should have trusted you over my memory since you seem to be a mall buff! It was Goody's. I have no idea where I got Dillards from. Goody's has been there since Woolworth's closed. You must have been like :rolleyes: when I said it was Dillards. :silly:

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! I have a bad memory. You are totally right. I should have trusted you over my memory since you seem to be a mall buff! It was Goody's. I have no idea where I got Dillards from. Goody's has been there since Woolworth's closed. You must have been like  :rolleyes: when I said it was Dillards.  :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No worries. :)

I Voted for Hanes mall....Definitly(in my opinion) the best of the triad, so much to offer.....Don't you guys think it's awesome that Winston/Triad being a medium sized place has a mall of large city standards. Maybe it's just me who thinks this, lol. Yea the mall can get crowded at times, but hey it's a mall, they're going to have people in them.

I Voted for Hanes mall....Definitly(in my opinion) the best of the triad, so much to offer.....Don't you guys think it's awesome that Winston/Triad being a medium sized place has a mall of large city standards. Maybe it's just me who thinks this, lol. Yea the mall can get crowded at times, but hey it's a mall, they're going to have people in them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was just at Hanes Mall the other day. It is a cool mall, definately bigger and better than what one might expect.

The Northside had plans for a mall a few years back, but it never materialized. Hopefully it's just a matter of time. The University/Hanes Mill area has really started to grow in the past few years. The Mixed-Use development currently under construction across from Sara Lee Headquarters was the proposed site. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

The Northside had plans for a mall a few years back, but it never materialized. Hopefully it's just a matter of time. The University/Hanes Mill area has really started to grow in the past few years. The Mixed-Use development currently under construction across from Sara Lee Headquarters was the proposed site. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right. It was supposed to have been called the Winston-Salem Galleria and had 1.2 million square feet of retail space. I think the Hanes Mall expansion did that project in.

You're right.  It was supposed to have been called the Winston-Salem Galleria and had 1.2 million square feet of retail space.  I think the Hanes Mall expansion did that project in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So there are two triad malls that have been scrapped that I know of now, the Winston-Salem Galleria and the Greensboro mall that was supposed to be built on Bryan Boulveard. It's too bad that these projects never came through

are all these malls indoor malls? If so that is a hell of a lot of malls. The Triad really has a lot of retail doesn't it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well the 3 major indoor ones, 1 million + square feet, are Hanes in Winston Salem, Four Seasons in Greensboro and Oak Hollow in High Point. The others are relatively very small malls in comparison or outdoor/outlet centers.

are all these malls indoor malls? If so that is a hell of a lot of malls. The Triad really has a lot of retail doesn't it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Four Seasons, Hanes Mall, Oak Hollow Mall, Colonial Mall, Randolph Mall, Eden Mall, and Mayberry Mall (which isn't on the list) are enclosed, but that's spread out over a six-county area. Friendly Center is an open-air shopping center merchandised like a regional mall; Pennrose is like a ghetto version of the same concept. BMOC is an open-air outlet, and the rest are collections of strip malls in an area. There is a lot of retail in the Triad, but it's just as much open-air as it is enclosed.

So there are two triad malls that have been scrapped that I know of now, the Winston-Salem Galleria and the Greensboro mall that was supposed to be built on Bryan Boulveard.

where was Westchester mall, and what is it today?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Westchester Mall was located along Westchester Drive on the edge of High Point. It was a small mall by anyone's standards, but it was enclosed. In fact, it was the first enclosed mall in Guilford County when it opened in 1970. The anchors were Belk-Beck, JCPenney, and Thalhimers. There was also a G.C. Murphy in the parking lot. The double punch of Thalhimers closing in 1992 and Oak Hollow Mall grabbing Belk and Penney's in 1995 killed it. I believe a church purchased it a few years ago, but there could still be a couple of leased stores there.

Westchester Mall was located along Westchester Drive on the edge of High Point.  It was a small mall by anyone's standards, but it was enclosed.  In fact, it was the first enclosed mall in Guilford County when it opened in 1970.  The anchors were Belk-Beck, JCPenney, and Thalhimers.  There was also a G.C. Murphy in the parking lot.  The double punch of Thalhimers closing in 1992 and Oak Hollow Mall grabbing Belk and Penney's in 1995 killed it.  I believe a church purchased it a few years ago, but there could still be a couple of leased stores there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks, Did Oak Hollow open in 95?

Winston-Salems' 2nd mall, although on the low end, is starting to see more life. I still think that this mall can be a real destination, given a couple of department stores. Its location is prime...about 2 miles south of downtown.

Saturday, April 2, 2005

The spruced-up Marketplace Mall is filled by a wide variety of tenants

By Fran Daniel

JOURNAL REPORTER

Marketplace Mall on Peters Creek Parkway has a fresh look and a lot more tenants.

Samco Properties Inc. in Deerfield Beach, Fla., bought the struggling 21-year-old mall in December 2002 and has spent about $500,000 on improvements, including new signs, bright paint on the outside, roof repairs, and upgrades to the heating, ventilation and air-conditioning systems.

That's helped improve occupancy over the past two years -the mall has been steadily landing tenants, and they have renovated their own spaces.

The momentum started with the creation of a discount-movie theater called Marketplace $2 Cinemas after the old Carmike Cinemas theater closed. In November 2003, The Salem Open, an indoor miniature golf course, opened inside the mall. It recently added a different nine-hole game called Neon Golf.

Such stores as Dynasty Furniture, Fifth Avenue and PS Discount Christian Books soon followed.

Today, the 170,000-square-foot-mall is about 98 percent leased. Only a year ago the mall had a vacancy rate of 12 percent; it was 30 percent at the end of 2003. All is all, the mall's businesses generated sales of more than $25 million last year, Mac McCormack, the president of McCormack Realty, said yesterday.

His company is the leasing agent and property manager for the mall.

"When people pull in this parking lot the first thing they see is the first impression, and I think we've changed our first impressions," McCormack said. "We've tried to make it a little bit more exciting.... Customers are looking for something new, and that's what we're trying our best to deliver."

He said that the mall offers discount rents in the range of $8 to $12 a square foot to attract tenants. He said that Marketplace used to be a one-dimensional mall with a lot of clothing stores, but now it has more variety, especially since it is competing against Hanes Mall and such dominant retailers as Wal-Mart and Target.

"What we've tried to do is bend over backward to try to find different types of tenants," McCormack said.

The newest tenants are Tailgators; SunLife Sunrooms, Spas & More; China Wok Buffet; and S&S Menswear.

Tailgators, a sporting apparel and collectibles store, opened in November, and S&S, a men's clothing retailer, expects to open this month.

SunLife moved from another spot on Peters Creek Parkway in February.

Chris Skarzynski, the store's general manager, said that company officials saw Marketplace Mall turning around and bringing in larger crowds.

"I feel like we really are at a destination location now," Skarzynski said.

China Wok Buffet, which has been remodeled on the inside by its owners, opened Monday in the former Shoney's restaurant, which closed last year.

The Chinese restaurant offers Chinese and American dishes, an all-you-can-eat buffet, and a sushi bar and grill.

Tong Dong, the manager of the restaurant, said that the owners chose Marketplace because it is a good spot and because Winston-Salem is growing.

Of the mall's 22 tenants, several have been there for years, including Hanes Mall Outlet, Dress Barn and Abundant Life Natural Foods.

Abundant Life, a vitamin, herb and home-brew supply shop, has been a tenant since the mall opened in 1984.

"The new owner has gone to great lengths to upgrade this mall cosmetically, and from a tenant occupancy standpoint, and we've been real pleased with that," said Robert Pitts, the owner of Abundant Life.

Pitts said that Marketplace's owner has made it more of a family mall, which has helped attract a diverse group of people. "Getting the cinema re-rented was a big step forward for the mall because a lot of people come in, and whether they shop or not are exposed to the mall," he said.

Hamrick's, a clothing retailer, and Dynasty, a furniture store, are the mall's largest tenants. Hamrick's, the mall's anchor, has 48,000 square feet, and Dynasty occupies 21,000 square feet.

McCormack said that Hamrick's draws people from as far away as Boone and parts of Virginia.

Cynthia McCormack, his wife and the vice president of McCormack Realty, said that the mall has a 3,800-square-foot space left. She said that customer traffic has increased 15 percent in the last six months.

"It's come back," she said. "It really has."

Hanes Mall needed some renovation, but when they remodeled, I thought it stripped the mall of a little of its dignity. Some parts of it look a little goofy, like all the different flooring and the giant letter "H's" sandblasted into the glass railing. Removing all that stone veneer was a little wasteful, especially when they replaced with that faux stucco.

I like that they brought in stuff like Pottery Barn, Build-A-Bear and T.G.I.Fridays, but a little design restraint would have been good, too.

It sounds like I need to visit Hanes Mall. Last time I was there it was sort of ghetto, but at least it didn't have any stucco atrocities :D  How many expansions and facelifts has that mall been through anyway?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's actually been remodeled very little. The first major change was in 1990 when the south mall area with Dillard's and Hecht's was added. It wasn't touched again until 2002-2003 when it got turned into its curent multicolored form.

• 2 months later...

I agree.  A few years ago Thruway Center had the slogan: "When you have an hour, not an afternoon."  It's funny, but so true.

BTW, I apologize for not making Thruway or Colonial Mayberry Mall in Mt. Airy choices on this poll.  They have limited appeal, but so do some of the other choices :)

In other thoughts, does anyone think that Macy's will stick around in the Triad when they get finished converting the Hecht's stores?

Personally, I have my doubts.  I think the Hecht's at Friendly Center has a good chance at staying a Macy's for a while beacuse it's always been a strong department store.  Maybe the Wendover store, too.  I thought it started a little slow, but it seems to have picked up a bit. 

But the Hanes Mall Hecht's store has scared me for years in that regard.  Both it and Dillard's are a little paltry because the store chains that built them were more boutique-like in their presentation than what followed.  Both Dillard's and Hecht's at Hanes Mall are in serious need of a makeover and/or an expansion, but neither store seems strong enough to pull it off. 

A friend and I have discussed what should be done to make those stores stronger, and we've agreed that Hanes Mall would be stronger if the two mediocre stores would become one store; meaning either Hecht's or Dillard's should bow out and let the other do a double-header store so that there'd be less redundancy and a stronger anchor presentation overall. 

With the Federated merger coming, my money's on Dillard's winning that war and Hecht's/Macy's bowing out.

What do y'all think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoa! Macy's bought out Hecht's? :o I never heard that! When did that happen? Gosh, I always thoguht Macy's was kind've a metropolitan (Atlanta, New York, DC) store. So all the Hecht's stores here in the Triad will be converted to Macy's? Jeese, I must be behind the times? :lol: Damn college! :rofl:

Archived