Favorite Triad Mall

StevenRocks

What is your favorite Triad-area mall or shopping area?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Triad-area mall or shopping area?

• Four Seasons Town Centre (Greensboro)
    • Friendly Center (Greensboro)
    • West Wendover Avenue (Greensboro)
    • Hanes Mall (Winston-Salem)
    • Other shopping centers on Hanes Mall Boulevard (Winston-Salem)
    • Oak Hollow Mall (High Point)
    • Colonial Mall Burlington (Holly Hill)
    • Burlington Manufacturers Outlet Center (BMOC)
    • Randolph Mall (Asheboro)
    • Eden Mall
    • Pennrose Mall (Reidsville)
    • Other

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the Marketplace Mall may have "made a comeback," I fully expect a decline once the Super WalMart opens further south on Peters Creek and the city pushes for the Peters Creek MAC(Metro Activity Center) to be developed. Marketplace carries mainly lower tier stores and is indeed backed up to a marginal area of town. The Innkeeper and the hotel next to Triad Dodge have always been problems and with the placement of a motorcycle bar and several strip clubs up and down that stretch of Peters Creek, they have been "quagmires."

I do want to break any images in people's minds that southern Winston-Salem is an area to avoid. I live in southern Winston-Salem south of Clemmonsville and it is a very nice, desirable middle class area.

im just blown by the ignorant comments cosmoboy made about south winston...the most diverse section of the city. Dont forget...some of us members just may be black. every race and income level live near marketplace mall and probably shop there also. There are no housing projects near this area, in fact, i think only one still exsists in the whole city. The rest are demolished or being redeveloped. Whats even worse is that you are stating that the blacks and hispanics are the cause for MarketPlace's downfall? I thought that the members on this board were more intelligent than this.

Ok 2 comments and questions....

Pennrose Mall in Reidsville has a Roses in the mall? wow I thought the only mall with a Roses left in it was University Mall in Chapel Hill. Any1 else know of any other malls with Roses in them?

Also do u think that either Greensboro or Winston could support another large mall, the size of, or bigger then their 2 primary malls, without hurting the existing malls? I mean another mall would be great but not at the expense of Hanes or Four Seasons. In alot of markets when a huge mall opens it tends to hurt existing malls. This is quite obvious in the Triangle with the opening of 2 mega malls a few yrs back...

im just blown by the ignorant comments cosmoboy made about south winston...the most diverse section of the city.  Dont forget...some of us members just may be black...Whats even worse is that you are stating that the blacks and hispanics are the cause for MarketPlace's downfall? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I'm black and I didn't think much of his comments. It's unfair to pin the fall of Marketplace Mall solely on blacks and latinos, especially when one does not have one's facts straight.

Pennrose Mall in Reidsville has a Roses in the mall? wow I thought the only mall with a Roses left in it was University Mall in Chapel Hill. Any1 else know of any other malls with Roses in them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure if Roses anchors any other malls.

Also do u think that either Greensboro or Winston could support another large mall, the size of, or bigger then their 2 primary malls, without hurting the existing malls? I mean another mall would be great but not at the expense of Hanes or Four Seasons. In alot of markets when a huge mall opens it tends to hurt existing malls. This is quite obvious in the Triangle with the opening of 2 mega malls a few yrs back...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think its possible that another Four Seasons-sized mall could appear in either Winston-Salem or Greensboro. Northern Winston-Salem's been needing one for years.

In fact, northern Winston-Salem is probably the only place in the Triad a large mall could be built without causing major shopper damage to the existing malls. The market is there in north Winston, but the developer interest as of late is low.

Northwest Greensboro is also a possibility for new major retail, with the demographics to pull off an upscale mall, but Four Seasons and Friendly Center would take a hit with a project like that.

It's my feeling that the Painter Boulevard/I-85 area east of Greensboro will get a major mall before all is said and done, but anything put up out there will certainly hurt Four Seasons and Colonial Mall.

I agree, North Winston is probably the best place for a new mall.  I would love to see more retail in Northwest Greensboro near the airport area too, though

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's a good chance the airport area could see some new major retail, if the local new home construction is any indication.

^what kind of stores do you think would come up there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Target or Wal-Mart is a good possibility. Kohl's or JCPenney could work as well, maybe a home improvement store. I could see some lifestyle-center type stores there eventually. Probably not a full mall, but a nice strip development.

There's already a Tractor Supply Co. going up in Oak Ridge next to the shopping center with Lowes Foods and Blockbuster.

^ On my old job, we were doing some pre-design for a lifestyle shopping center for a client and I went and took pictures of the Oak Ridge shopping center for work as a design reference.

I also like shopping at that Lowes Foods on occasion. They carry stuff you can't find everywhere like Thayer's Slippery Elm Throat Drops and Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps. That location is like a cross between Harris Teeter and Whole Foods.

I think Target or Wal-Mart is a good possibility.  Kohl's or JCPenney could work as well, maybe a home improvement store.  I could see some lifestyle-center type stores there eventually.  Probably not a full mall, but a nice strip development.

There's already a Tractor Supply Co. going up in Oak Ridge next to the shopping center with Lowes Foods and Blockbuster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well guess what, there's a development called Jefferson Village that's coming with Target!! :)

New Garden & Bryan Blvd

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/stories/2...tml?jst=s_cn_hl

im just blown by the ignorant comments cosmoboy made about south winston...the most diverse section of the city.  Dont forget...some of us members just may be black.  every race and income level live near marketplace mall and probably shop there also.  There are no housing projects near this area, in fact, i think only one still exsists in the whole city.  The rest are demolished or being redeveloped.  Whats even worse is that you are stating that the blacks and hispanics are the cause for MarketPlace's downfall?  I thought that the members on this board were more intelligent than this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well excuse the he@$ out of me! :angry: I didn't mean it like that! Why don't you try to analyze the post before you go putting words in to somebody's mouth? What I meant is that "people" that live in project homes usually don't care about how they take care of stuff. So that's why it is so trashy and filthy around that side of town. Notice, I posted that I live 4 miles away from Marketplace so basically I live in the same part of town. I'm not putting down where decent hard-working middle class families live. If that's the best they can do, than more power to them! Now, if you want to get racial about it then why don't we talk about this privately!

lol i didnt put words in your mouth...im just calling u out on what YOU said.

i didnt make it racial... u did. what does being black and hispanic have anything to do with the demise of a mall. u brought up th epoin that "blacks and Hispanics" live near this mall. And then in the next sentence, stated that there are projects and habitat homes all around the southside. thats sounds pretty racial to me. and im not the only one who didnt care too much for that comments. U brought race into this.

I called ur post ignorant because thats what it was. look up the definition ...and u will learn that its not necessarily an insult.

ignorance #1 south Winston-Salem is mostly black and hispanic.

ignorance #2 Marketplace is close to the projects.

lol  i didnt put words in your mouth...im just calling u out on what YOU said.

i didnt make it racial... u did.  what does being black and hispanic have anything to do with the demise of a mall.  u brought up th epoin that "blacks and Hispanics" live near this mall.  And then in the next sentence, stated that there are projects and habitat homes all around the southside.  thats sounds pretty racial to me.  and im not the only one who didnt care too much for that comments.  U brought race into this.

I called ur post ignorant because thats what it was.  look up the definition ...and u will learn that its not necessarily an insult.

ignorance #1  south Winston-Salem is mostly black and hispanic.

ignorance #2  Marketplace is close to the projects.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok maybe I put the blame on all the minorities, I admit whites can be the same yet maybe more trashy . And, after a little research of my own I found out that most project and habitat homes are located immediatley north of downtown. So I apoligize for putting down where some of you guys live. And, actually some pretty nice parts of Winston are around that mall (Washington Park and Ardmore).

C'mon guys give me a break i'm in college at UNC, so I haven't been there in that part of town for a while! :) Again I apoligize and I admit my mistakes. We cool?

I actually liked Carolina Circle in Northeast Greensboro in the mid to late nineties. The mall was always quiet, and the stores that were open had great deals going on. Such as; Montgomery Ward's closeout electronics, and Dillard's Clearance center which was open until about 1999 I think. It's kind of sad it is going to be replaced with a madhouse Wal-Mart, but it's good for the area. I just hate malls these days because it seems they are always WAY overcrowded, and probably 50% of the people in the mall are teenagers just loitering and shoplifting. This is a big reason why a lot of malls go under...the crime and loitering overtake the good aspects. it scares me that Four Seasons in Greensboro is getting this way now!

^ In terms of accessability (getting in and out), Carolina Circle was okay in the '90s, but there wasn't mch going on. It was, in my opinion, kinda like a the last few minutes of the party when there's some good food left and a couple of okay girls that haven't gone home to talk to but otherwise there's really not much point staying around.

That said, I liked the fact that without all the crowds around, you could actually make sense of the building's design. I, along with others, have made fun of Carolina Circle's Brutalist architecture beacuse the overall composition was pretty '70s, but there were some things to like about it as well.

I mentioned the water feature in center court before, and there several other high points like the awesome skating rink, the concrete berms on the sides of Ivey's and Montgomery Ward, the integration of actual circular elements into the mall design (the circles at Carolina Circle), and Ivey's spectaular escalator well and huge skylight.

By contrast, Four Seasons never had that much charisma. The interior remodelings in the '80s and '90s and excellent interstate and convention center-adjacent location kept Four Seasons in the running longer, but the exterior design is garbage. The Dillard's expansion actually is the only truly nice looking part of the exterior.

ok maybe I put the blame on all the minorities, I admit whites can be the same yet maybe more trashy . And, after a little research of my own I found out that most project and habitat homes are located immediatley north of downtown. So I apoligize for putting down where some of you guys live. And, actually some pretty nice parts of Winston are around that mall (Washington Park and Ardmore).

C'mon guys give me a break i'm in college at UNC, so I haven't been there in that part of town for a while! :) Again I apoligize and I admit my mistakes. We cool?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its cool

Archived