Favorite Triad Mall

StevenRocks

What is your favorite Triad-area mall or shopping area?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Triad-area mall or shopping area?

• Four Seasons Town Centre (Greensboro)
    • Friendly Center (Greensboro)
    • West Wendover Avenue (Greensboro)
    • Hanes Mall (Winston-Salem)
    • Other shopping centers on Hanes Mall Boulevard (Winston-Salem)
    • Oak Hollow Mall (High Point)
    • Colonial Mall Burlington (Holly Hill)
    • Burlington Manufacturers Outlet Center (BMOC)
    • Randolph Mall (Asheboro)
    • Eden Mall
    • Pennrose Mall (Reidsville)
    • Other

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather see some nice retail in our downtowns than another mall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pin your hopes on major retail in downtown Winston-Salem before Greensboro. Winston's still fairly compact and has highways running through downtown; Greensboro's too decentralized for major retail downtown.

Four Seasons is without a doubt the best mall in the Triad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's my favorite and it's a beautiful mall inside. I love the Dillard's and JCPenney.

Only thing I don't like about Four Seasons is the area of town it's in.  It's a crappy area of Greensboro.  At least Hanes is in the nice part of Winston.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The sprawl on West Wendover Avenue killed the sprawl on the High Point Road corridor. That area didn't hit the skids until the late '90s.

• 2 weeks later...

Developent along the Paineter Boulevard loop.  That will divert traffic from the I-40 corridor and likely kill Wendover and Four Seasons.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah yes, good ol' painter. They're going to build a Wal-Mart at the S. Elm/Eugene exit.

My favorite Triad mall used to be Carolina Circle Mall. But since it's in Mall Heaven, my current favorite mall would be Hanes Mall. Haven't been there in a while though. I went to Four Seasons for the first time in months yesterday.

my current favorite mall would be Hanes Mall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since those awful-looking renovations a few years ago, I don't like Hanes Mall as much, but they still have some great stores.

It's the only mall in the country with Sheetz AND Sonic inside :)

Since those awful-looking renovations a few years ago, I don't like Hanes Mall as much, but they still have some great stores.

It's the only mall in the country with Sheetz AND Sonic inside  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

actually the interior is quite nice! it is a real upgrade, now I don't have to smell uron on that old carpet anymore. :sick: The exterior is all right I would've prefered they make it more modern and classy.

actually the interior is quite nice! it is a real upgrade, now I don't have to smell uron on that old carpet anymore. :sick:  The exterior is all right I would've prefered they make it more modern and classy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Hanes Mall looked better as a true 1975 mall (pee-pee flavored carpet notwithstanding) than as a 1975 mall having a midlife crisis like it does now. I think they could have gone for something less trendy (and a bit less dated already) than all that 'new millenium' bric-a-brac they put up. How many darn flooring types and goofy lighting fixtures does that place have now?

Well Steven, I guess they were trying to make it look modern and sophisticated. I do have to admit the Food Court does look a whole lot better! But, I still miss Sbarro. Is the food really good there at Sheetz, I always kind of thought it was "trucker food." I may have to make my way out there if I have some time.

The Hanes Mall Belk is a lot different than the other Belks that I've been to. The elevator there is weird because there's a window in it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the entrance door for that side of the store used to be where the elevator is now. They moved the doors to the sides of the entry when they did the renovation. The unimproved exterior entrances along the other sides of the store have these tall vestibules, so there was already a window opening there to work with. It's a great idea with the glass elevator.

Hanes Mall and Four Seasons' Belk stores have a similar circulation plan. There is a large, three-story escalator well in the center with an oversized main aisle running through the middle of the store with stairs at one of the termini.

Belk Hanes Mall's main aisle is on axis with the mall entrance, Belk Four Seasons main aisle lines up with the exterior entrances. Hanes Mall has stairs from level one to level two and an elevator. Four Seasons has a three story stairway and a porte cochere on the exterior of level two.

Well Steven, I guess they were trying to make it look modern and sophisticated. I do have to admit the Food Court does look a whole lot better! But, I still miss Sbarro. Is the food really good there at Sheetz, I always kind of thought it was "trucker food." I may have to make my way out there if I have some time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Point taken on the food court. "The Menu at Hanes" was a little lame.

I'm not sure why Sbarro left, but it probably had some kind of lease conflict. It wasn't the business because it was always packed.

Sheetz has a lot of different menu options, most of which are excellent. It's not truck stop food at all. Everything is prepared while you wait and the prices are competitive, though just a little on the pricey side. I've only eaten at that particular one once, but I stop at the others around my neck of the woods all the time.

Over near Belk, they have a gourmet coffee stand called Sheetz Bros. Coffee as well.

Hanes Mall has always reminded me of Carolina Circle Mall. One reason was because the dollar store and Camelot Music were side by side just like at ccm. The Hecht's corridor reminds me of the Montgomery Ward corridor at ccm. Also, Hanes Mall has a carousel like ccm.

No, it's not the same carousel. I think the one at ccm was bigger. The Hanes Mall one is more of a white-ish color and is called The Vinetian Carousel. Did the ccm carousel have a name?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My first look at it and I thought it was one and the same-but I could be wrong. My kids spent a good deal of time on the one in CCM when it was there. (not to mention all the park rides in Burlington too!)

Archived